X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT
    replied
    Re: weaponizing an airsoft gun

I lost track of the links, but there was a guy in one of the gun maker forums who had come up with a do-it-yourself build kit for something which was very much like the SA-80 and I think used a bunch of parts from an airsoft donor gun. The receiver build was a lot like a MAC build in that the end user spot welds a lot of sheet metal pieces together. I think it was done by the Prexis guy but I can't find any recent postings about it.

Another slick build would involve adapting the airsoft version of the magpul folding gun glock reciever to work with one of the Lone Wolf Glock .22lr kits.

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/Magpul...shopping_feeds

they have recently been pulled from the market, but I understand are still made in China and float over the ocean from time to time.

Had a talk with another gun maker/designer a while back and if we could solve the magazine problem, the blowback airsoft HK MP7 could be reworked into a neat little .22 magnum, but the magazine requirement is unique and it may not work with any previously existing hicap mags, or it could possibly work with modified Keltec PMR-30 mags.

I think you might be closer to paydirt on sticking a Hipoint 9 in an airsoft shell. Isn't that thing capable of functioning with like 30% of the rifle actually hacked away? I just don't think there is a good workaround for the single stack mag unless you somehow do it as a bullpup, but that could get you into some pretty interesting bullpup SA-80 9mm turf.

Leave a comment:

• ISC
    replied

Originally posted by RT View Post

The trick however, is to convert the rifle to 9mm. Use a steel reciever insert to take up the added stress of live ammo, then Have purpose built 9mm barrels made, use a 9mm AR type magazine block, and then come up with a custom bolt assembly and proprietary trigger group. You then end up with a nice 9mm carbine with a sidefolder on the ACR/SCAR
    I can't imagine that it would be that much harder to put a Marlin camp 9 in an airsoft shell. Even better, a hi point carbine.

If you used a high point carbine that would give you the opportunity to use a different magazine housing for hi cap mags, such as a STEN, eliminating the single worst feature of the hi point.

I want to find a decent SA 80 airsoft gun for my project. I think its the only way I'd have something like it in my collection.

Leave a comment:

• RT
    replied

There are some Chinese airsoft guns built in the same production plants on the same tooling as the real firearms, but with critical dimensions and internals specific to airsoft. Their idea has been to make their arms industry profitable without actually being in the arms industry, thus you get some Chicom government backing in these declarations of them being "non-guns", same with some of the Russian pellet guns that the BATF banned from importation to the US, but are widely found in western Europe and dirt common in Russia.

As for the scabbed in 10/22 in an airsoft shell, it has been done, and some of them done pretty darn well, but what eventually happens with the popular mods is that someone comes out with a specific stock kit for that purpose which tends to work out better, for example the Archangel G36 style stock for the 10/22 and the Red Jacket P90s style bullpup kit. Both are pricey, but they fit right on.

The WE tech FN SCAR is one with some really good potential. It is set up to take standard dimension STANAG magazines and the reciever is good thick alloy, not plastic. The lower would require a proprietary trigger group housing insert but can most likely use a standard open market trigger group. The barrel mounting system is relatively standard, but will not accept any current production firearm barrels.

The trick however, is to convert the rifle to 9mm. Use a steel reciever insert to take up the added stress of live ammo, then Have purpose built 9mm barrels made, use a 9mm AR type magazine block, and then come up with a custom bolt assembly and proprietary trigger group. You then end up with a nice 9mm carbine with a sidefolder on the ACR/SCAR platform.

Think XC900 engineered inside of an airsof SCAR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmiKp0qo720

Leave a comment:

• AKrazy
    replied

Sorry, I'm no AR guy, but wouldn't it be smarter to have the lower AND pistol grip all be one solid piece for these plastic lowers? It might give the strength needed at that weak point that these things always fail at. Same goes for the 3D printed versions.

Leave a comment:

• Vulcan
    replied

I would be interested to know how that lower broke. Normal use or a fall?

Leave a comment:

• ISC
    replied

I used to use a product from devcon in the paper mills and power plants for reparing worn out equipment that had severe metal erosion from corrosion or bad steam packing. It was very good. This one is even better:
    http://www.ellsworth.com/devcon-tita...FRRynAodEHUA9w

Originally posted by devcon
    Product Name:
    Devcon Titanium Putty 1LB Kit

Part#:

Description:
    Sold as a case (6/case). Devcon high-tech, titanium-reinforced epoxy putty engineered for making critical repairs to machinery and precision parts. Has high compressive strength, and high temperature resistance. 1 pound.

For a 6 lb case:
    Originally posted by devcon
    Quantity Price

1.............$733.74 (122.29/ea)

2.............$564.96 (94.16/ea)

3+...........$524.64 (87.44/ea)

Leave a comment:

• Lasergunner
    replied

This is a Plum Crazy AR15 lower.It is a composite. As you can see it broke at the buffer tube. One of the complaints that I read about composite lowers is that some of them are dimensioned as if they were aluminum forgings. With a plastic composite without metal reinforcings it makes sense thatsome areas need to be thicker/heavier.

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/148...ns-page-2.html

Anyone have any suggentions for an epoxy other than JB Weld and similar priced products. I would like to see a larger bulk product that would make experimentation cost effective. I've suggested using insulation fiberglass because it is a long strand material that is readily available and inexpensive; sometimes it's even free. Any suggestions for an alternative bulk fiber binder?

Leave a comment:

• Papadoc
    replied

Originally posted by Lasergunner View Post
    I think the upper reciever needs only very minor finishing. The lower reciever offers some real possibility to be brought up to spec. It could be used as the beginning of a composite construction. Metal epoxy and kevlar or nylon cloth could be added in layers to build of internal thickness and form compartments to spec for the magazine and FCG. Material re-inforcement would also have to be added to and threaded to accomodate the buffer tube. Some epoxied cloth could be added to exterior portions like the bottom of the magwell and to the front of the lower reciever so as to resemble aftermarket grips but actually to sandwich the metal shell and give it greater resistance to mechanical stresses related to firing the weapon under full load.

Building up for a pistol caliber instead of a rifle round may produce the most satisfatory outcome owing to reduced recroil stresses. A .22LR AR15, for example, doesn't even need a buffer tube. The existing fake aluminum outer barrel may be large enough to accept a hydraulic tubing inner barrel.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...iver-from-ati/
    The Omni reciever is made entirely of glass fiber reinforced polymer. ATI claims the Omni lower has tested reliably with .22 LR, 5.56×45 (.223 Rem), and .410 but is “not recommended for larger calibers“.
    Handled one of these at the Gun show this weekend. Guy wanted $75 for them and $139 for regular metal ones. Seems to be good and solid, very light compared to the metal version. I should have bought one, as for anything you will build with it is not going to stress it. From what I have read of the other AR-15 calibers available, if it can handle 5.56x45mm NATO, then the rest should not be an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Lasergunner
    replied

I've been rethinking how to add wall thickness. The Omni Lower is described as glass fiber and polymer. Could fiberglass insulation material be combined with an epoxy to be used as filler throughout the thin aluminum walled airsoft lower reciever? The beauty of this is that the holes and slots are already, for the most part, located. There are plenty of online resources that describe how to mill out the internal compartment of solid aluminum cast lower blanks. Some of the sources even describe how to do it with hand tools.

You end up with a lower that is a composite with an "blue'd" aluminum outer shell. The internal dimensions are then uniform and to spec and thould be able to handle mechanical stress just as well if not better than the glass fiber reinforced polymer would by itself. The foward pivot is already done. The fake buffer extension would be cut off after the polymer cures and the back end drilled through to the proper dimension using the existant aluminum to reinforce the polymer composite.

Unlike an aluminum blank, if you mill out too much polymer somewhere, you can repair the mistake by prepping the effected area like a dentist's filling and then add new polymer. when it cures just pick up where you left off. The only slightly challenging part may be to mold the exterior handgrip extension at the rear-bottom of the lower.

Leave a comment:

• Lasergunner
    replied

I think the upper reciever needs only very minor finishing. The lower reciever offers some real possibility to be brought up to spec. It could be used as the beginning of a composite construction. Metal epoxy and kevlar or nylon cloth could be added in layers to build of internal thickness and form compartments to spec for the magazine and FCG. Material re-inforcement would also have to be added to and threaded to accomodate the buffer tube. Some epoxied cloth could be added to exterior portions like the bottom of the magwell and to the front of the lower reciever so as to resemble aftermarket grips but actually to sandwich the metal shell and give it greater resistance to mechanical stresses related to firing the weapon under full load.

Building up for a pistol caliber instead of a rifle round may produce the most satisfatory outcome owing to reduced recroil stresses. A .22LR AR15, for example, doesn't even need a buffer tube. The existing fake aluminum outer barrel may be large enough to accept a hydraulic tubing inner barrel.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...iver-from-ati/
    The Omni reciever is made entirely of glass fiber reinforced polymer. ATI claims the Omni lower has tested reliably with .22 LR, 5.56×45 (.223 Rem), and .410 but is “not recommended for larger calibers“.
    Last edited by Lasergunner; April 4, 2013, 11:49.

Leave a comment:

• Lasergunner
    replied

If you look at the DBoys airsoft M4 and compare it to either a machinist drawing of or to an actual AR15 lower a number of things jump out at you. The airsoft replica is clearly derived from the M16. It may be that when they first started marketing these in the U.S. that they may have used actual AR parts. If so that supply has dried up and they are now casting and machining airsoft devices that optimized for airsoft internals and still competitively priced.

The lower reciever has thinner sides and there is not enough metal to support mechanical stresses. There is no provision for a real buffer tube. The metal used appears to be aluminum and the hole also appear to be accurately located.

The upper Reciever looks like is may be to spec with a few shortcomings. The foward assist is for show and lacks the extension that would contact the bolt assembly. The drilled passage for the foward assist isn't completely drilled and finished. There is an orifice for the gas tube but the tube is fake.It is just a piece of thick aluminum wire or really thin roundstock.

The barrel is really an outer aluminum barrel. An internal brass barrel is the barrel that actually shoots the plastic BB. There is a lot of clearance in there. It looks as if the barrel assembly is attached as per the real thing.
    Last edited by Lasergunner; April 2, 2013, 17:52.

Leave a comment:

• BISHOP
    replied

Has anybody done this before?? UM YES!! And they look beautiful...

BISHOP

Leave a comment:

• ironlung
    replied

Airsoft are not built at all like real guns , they're built around an electric motor and battery. I have the stg-44 and it's kinda cool, metal and wood, has some weight to it. But the receiver is not hollow enough to hide a 10-22 inside. There are "dress-up" kits for 10-22, an AK-47 http://www.krinkerplinker.com/
    and I have an MG-42 style that was available a few years ago. It's fun !
    Here is a link to an AR style dress up :

http://demigodllc.com/articles/nordi...22-lr-trainer/

This looks interesting...

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/200...onversion-kit/
    Last edited by ironlung; November 16, 2011, 23:35.

Leave a comment:

• LYCAN
    replied

there is a custom Wood frame that is identical to a Steyr Aug - specifically intended for the 10/22

found it

http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWD1022.html
    Last edited by LYCAN; November 16, 2011, 23:23.

Leave a comment:

• ISC
    started a topic weaponizing an airsoft gun

weaponizing an airsoft gun

I've been thinking alot about getting a decent Airsoft version of an exotic gun ($50), gutting it, then putting a 10/22 action($150) inside of it.

Maybe a ps90, famas, or steyr aug, MP 40, STG 44, or something like that.

Has anyone else tried this?
Working...
X