modifying a Saiga .308 into a PSL /Dragunov lookalike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modifying a Saiga .308 into a PSL /Dragunov lookalike

Has anynbe tried this? I'm thinking I could just use the Romainian furniture that came on their AKs during the ban years after moving the trigger guard forward to its original position.

922r blah blah blah

Re: modifying a Saiga .308 into a PSL /Dragunov lookalike

That sounds like a fun idea! Were you thinking of using the traditional PSL optics as well to make it look the part? Would the barrel stay the same?

It's all fun and eyes until someone looses a game!

You can't spell MEAN without ME!

Comment

that's the whole thing. I have a 20" .308 saiga, I have a PSOP scupe for it that fits. I even have a synthetic Dragonov stock that I could put on it, although I think wood would look better.

I came really close to getting a PSL about a year ago but got a .308 AR instead mostly because of the ARs caliber, but also due to the accuracy too.

I'd like to have a Dragunov in my collection though, even if its a fake.

Just to illustrate the point for all you purists out there, I'd love to have a Tiger tank too, even if it's just a sheet metal shell welded to a dune buggy.

Comment

I'd totally go for it ISC! It could look like one of those paratrooper PSLs that were out a few years back with the barrels cut back to the gas block. I really wanted one at the time. I'm sure you've seen them but here's a link anyway to a thread I found that had a couple of pics. They look mean all short like that!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=223792

Visually, it would be a cool improvement over the stock Saiga look IMO.

The more I think about it I want to do it...

Comment

The whole thing sounds interesting to me, although I already have a whole Romak-3, which looks enough like a Dragunov to fool anyone who doesn't know a seriously large amount about them.

Beyond that, it shoots fairly well like one for the first three rounds, until the barrel gets hot. I have serious considerations about doing a fiberglass bedding in the stock for it, just to see what happens to the accuracy on the fourth round and beyond.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by jefferson101 View Post
            The whole thing sounds interesting to me, although I already have a whole Romak-3, which looks enough like a Dragunov to fool anyone who doesn't know a seriously large amount about them.

Beyond that, it shoots fairly well like one for the first three rounds, until the barrel gets hot. I have serious considerations about doing a fiberglass bedding in the stock for it, just to see what happens to the accuracy on the fourth round and beyond.

I picked up one of those Czech 7.62x54r barrels for my ongoing "Mosin Nagant Sniper Project" and I keep holding it up to my PSL and having nasty thoughts. Might work better than bedding

Comment

Yes, I had one most of the way done when the feds raided my house and took it. I did the relocation of the trigger guard the cheap but reliable way, then was using a stock from a thumbhole WASR rifle and modifying it slightly to work on the Saiga. All said and done, the wood Saiga stock was better to begin with and was best just left alone. I still have that stock if you want it for the cost of shipping. I also have a Russian scope mount for it with a NcStar scope, as the POSP I had ordered never made it.
              Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

I'm getting back to this project soon. I found a Romanian dragunov buttstock just like this one:

I have the parts to move the trigger to its correct position and have a L1A1 flashider that I think is close evough to the real deal that I think it can be adapted to look good. I still need to find a forend substitute, but think my best bet might be to modify the Saiga forend.

This is what I want it to look like as near as possible:

This is the real deal

This is one that someone else did:

Comment

Be sure to keep an eye out for the 922 parts count.
                  The avalanche has already started, it's too late for the pebbles to vote.<br />--------<br />None are more hopelessly enslaved then those who falsely believe they are free.

Comment

Nice to see this post back up! I've been wanting one of these "conversion kits" for my PSL from Rhineland:
                    http://www.troupsystems.com/svd%20kit.htm

The only thing that is holding me back is the poor performance of my PSL that I have been experiencing for some time now. I have very limited Saiga experience so I'm not sure if the PLL/Saiga hand guard parts are interchangeable but it would definitely get you close to the look you are trying to achieve.

Best,

Comment

I had one and sold it couple months back. PSL, that is.
                      [CENTER][SIZE=1]“Corruptissima republica plurimae leges,”[/SIZE][/CENTER]
                      [CENTER][SIZE=1]“The more corrupt the republic, the more numerous the laws.”[/SIZE][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Publius Cornelius Tacitus[/SIZE][/CENTER]
                      [CENTER][SIZE=1][/SIZE] [/CENTER]
                      [CENTER][SIZE=1]Sic Semper Tyrannis[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Comment

The Rhineland Arms stocks are nice. I had a PSL with one on it. I picked up a blemished stock set form them pretty cheap. You have to remove the front hand guard mount thing from the gas tube. Otherwise it is drop in.

here is a link to their Saiga stock sets: http://www.troupsystems.com/saiga.htm
                        There is no I' n team!
                        [URL="http://www.cjcs-supply.net"]www.cjcs-supply.net[/URL]
                        There are three types of people in the world: 1. Those that can count. 4. Those that can't.
                        So, am I your man Mr. Dumbass? The name, is Dumaas!

Comment

Working...
                        X