Cleaners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaners

Any thoughts on the best bore cleaners? Gunzilla got a lot of hype at a recent gun show. Supposed to be used by our military in !raq now.
    Also, what's the best to put on for long term storage, in say, a gun rack?
    Thanks.

Re: Cleaners

My favorite bore cleaners:

Butch's Bore Shine. For me, it cuts powder fouling and does a decent job on copper fouling. It stinks, though. And you've got to follow it up with an oiling.

CLP (Break Free). Some folks don't like it for bores, but I still use it. It takes a lot longer for the solvent in this to cut through the crud, but you don't have to worry about leaving it in like you do the ammonia based solvents.

Kroil. Takes a while to work, but does the trick. Stinks. You've got to follow up with an oiling because its too thin to really stay behind to protect.

For long term storage, I like to use LP (Break Free) on the innards. For the outside, I'll wipe down with a silicone impregnated gun cloth.

Comment

Do an internet search for Ed's Red. Not too good for copper but will remove carbon fouling as well as anything on the market, since you make it yourself, cost is negligible.
      "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
      The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Originally posted by paintballmagnet View Post
        Do an internet search for Ed's Red. Not too good for copper but will remove carbon fouling as well as anything on the market, since you make it yourself, cost is negligible.
        Yep. That and a little Hoppes #9 to cut the copper, and mine are usually good to go. I've used every cleaner known to American man, and have bottles and spray cans of most all of them still in hand, but those are what I always go back to.

Ed's Red is simple. Get a gallon can (I use a gallon gas can).

1 quart Mineral Spirits.
        1 quart Kerosene (Clear Lamp Oil from Wally World, or wherever else you find it, is deodorized kerosene, and doesn't stink. Plus you can get it by the quart.)
        1 quart Acetone.
        1 quart ATF, or Marvel Mystery Oil....They both work just fine.

Combine them in the gallon container, shake well, and get after it! Store in a relatively cool and dark place. I keep my jug full out in my shed, just to avoid having any volatiles floating around indoors from the larger quantities.

For longer term protection, Rem-oil or 3in1 work reasonably well. I wouldn't go over 10 years or so without checking on them, but have gone that long with some things, and no problem.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

my particular voodoo involves custom bores....stainless and cM....i usually do not want a clean, really clean bore as it take some to foul the barrel to gain accuracy back.

carbon and powder residue is the real culprit and some moly build-up.......

but to answer the original question....i use a GM top engine treatment ...the old formula in the cone-top metal can and a chamber plug and let the bore soak....patch to clean.

Comment

Working...
          X