De-Humping a Hi Power Feed Ramp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-Humping a Hi Power Feed Ramp

THIS IS A FORMAL DREMEL TOOL WARNING. DREMEL TOOLS WHEN USED IN HASTE CAN RUIN A GOOD GUN. THIS POST DISCUSSES THE USE OF A DREMEL TOOL ON TWO PISTOL BARRELS. UNDERSTAND THAT IT WAS USED VERY SLOWLY, AT A LOW SPEED, AND WITH TOTAL CONTROL OF THE TOOL.

The feed ramps on the pre-Mark II Browning Hi Power pistol and its clones, the FEG Hi Powers and Charles Daly Hi Power, were made with a pronounced hump in the lower third of the feed ramp. These ramps feed FMJ ammo very well, but can give real feeding problems in some guns when used with JHP ammo. Sadly, all three of my Browning clones had this problem, so a friend and I set out to remove the humps in our barrels and this is the story of how we did it. We got a lot of advice from some knowledgeable people, studied a lot of photos, and then worked very, very slowly.

The easiest way we found to accomplish this operation, IMHO, is to use a Dremel tool with one of the cylindrical black rubber bits that has polishing media impregnated in it. (The cylindrical portion is about an inch and a half long, looks about 1/4" - 3/8" in diameter, and comes to a long, easy point at the top.) This way you polish the metal off rather than grind it off, and you can take it slow and easy with good control of the tool. I've found, and you'll see this in the photos, that the ramp doesn't have to be perfectly straight in order to work well. You just have to minimize the hump and get the ramp mostly straight. But it's important to stay the heck away from the portion of the chamber and ramp that support the case head. If you remove any of that, then you'll get swelled cases and possibly even head separations or blowouts. Also, you absolutely must not change the curvature or concave arc of the ramp. Most importantly, remember to go slow and check progress frequently. Here are a couple of photos of the FEG and CD feed ramps. They were made in the same factory and are identical. Here goes:

I have tested both barrels with 115 rounds of 4 different JHP's with fairly straight ogives and they feed them flawlessly.

Naturally a Foredom tool in a well equipped shop works well too. Heh! But hoo haz one? If anybody is thinking about doing this operation, I have a number of other close up photos that may help. If you want them sent to you, PM me with your email address and I'll shoot them to you.

Re: De-Humping a Hi Power Feed Ramp

Thanks! I duplicated your pictures as close as possible on a F.E.G. HiPower, I actually think it might feed a cigarette butt.
    "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
    The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Working...
    X