Shotgun slug and barrel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun slug and barrel question

Can the original Foster type slugs be used in a fully rifled barrel or are these barrels strictly made for sabot type slugs? I'd like to be able to hunt with one of these, shots might be as far as 100 yards. Sabots are harder to find and don't have as much knockdown as the larger diameter Foster slugs.Also has anyone tried one of those rifled choke tubes? are they worth having? Thanks!

[ December 17, 2005, 17:57: Message edited by: paintballmagnet ]
    "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
    The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

The Foster type slugs can be fired in a rifled barrel, but accuracy is non-existent, and the barrel leads like you wouldn't believe.

Rifled barrels are for shooting ONLY sabot slugs.
    No standard slugs, and no bird or buck shot.

In my experience, the rifled choke doesn't do a lot.
    You're better off buying as wide a selection of slugs as you can find and shooting them to find what works best in your gun.

If you have a screw-in choke, you can also experiment with chokes to find what produces the best accuracy in your gun.

A good starting place is the Improved Cylinder, then the Modified.
    Usually, the Improved Cylinder is best overall, but if you want top accuracy, you have to experiment.

Comment

I need to be able to hit a 12" circle at 100 yards with each shot, provided I do my part. Can a smooth bore accomplish this? Thanks!
      "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
      The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

There are people who like to shoot shotguns at extreme distances.

In order to do this, like in any other sport, they build custom guns, then experiment to get the most accurate load.

I would assume you can get one foot accuracy at 100 yards without building a custom gun, but you'll need to talk to an expert on slug guns, which I ain't.

One shooter I know has a dedicated slug gun for hunting and he gets 5" groups at 100 yards.

An accuracy shooter with a custom rifled barrel gun gets 2" at 100.

Some people DO recommend using a rifled choke.

I'd assume a smooth bore could do 12" without any trouble.

The way to get 100 yard accuracy is to experiment with different brands of slugs until you find the most accurate.
        Premium brand slugs will shoot better than cheap stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by paintballmagnet:
          I need to be able to hit a 12" circle at 100 yards with each shot, provided I do my part. Can a smooth bore accomplish this? Thanks!
          Yes.

As already said - experiment with different slugs and different chokes. My SG shoots slugs best with Modified choke.

"Rifle" sights help a lot also.

Comment

Working...
          X