Need good home defense shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need good home defense shotgun

I'm looking to put together a good home defense shotgun. May try to pick it up at Tulsa this weekend.

What brand/model should I look for?

Remington 870?
    Winchester 1100?
    Pump or auto?
    How much to pay?

I've never been much of a shotgunner so I'm fairly ignorant. I have a Mossberg 500A but it doesn't seem to be a very good starting point.

(Planning to mostly use Choate furniture and accessories as the factory is near here and I know the good folk that run it.)

You can't go wrong with an 870 !

Comment

I've been reading some older threads here...

Any big advantage one way or the other on the 590 vs 870?

Comment

Originally posted by Rottweiler:
        I've been reading some older threads here...

Any big advantage one way or the other on the 590 vs 870?
        I think the Remington Marine Magnum looks the best........

Comment

I'd go Rem. 870 first, Mossberg #2 and the Winchester would be a distant third.
          "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
          The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

stop by a couple of pawn shops. You should be able to pick up a short barreled shotty at a really good price. Get a couple boxes of 00 buck, and you are good to go.
            These are not combat weapons, but adjuncts, specialty guns. Just about any brand in 12 ga will do the trick. Spend your money on a good rifle.
            may the Bonnie Blue wave forever<br /><br />Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Comment

I have a Mossberg 590 and have recently run quite a bit of buck and slugs through it. It has not missed a beat at all. In comparison I did get to handle a newer 870 type, with the pistol grip stock and side folder with shell storage in the folder. The stocks on the 870's seemed to be a little bit shorter and shouldered better than my 590. But in all I would still get the 590 over it.

Tread

Comment

Saiga 12 Basicly it's an AK47 in 12 gauge. Currently it has 5 rd mags. 8 & 10 rd mags will be available soon. Just as reliable as any of the pumps (afterall it's an AK)

Comment

590 is what I would (did) go with.

Comment

I'm looking to put together a good home defense shotgun...

I've never been much of a shotgunner so I'm fairly ignorant...

I have a Mossberg 500A
                    FULL STOP!

You have a suitable shotgun.
                    Forget accessories.
                    Forget pursuit of the "perfect gun".

Spend your money on training and extra shells for practice.

Invest time and effort - not more toys.

Comment

You say you have a Mossberg 500A?

OK, you got what you need right there.

I would suggest a 18 1/2" barrel and a side saddle for extra ammo. If you are so inclined to spend money, then purchase a decent light set-up for the Mossy.

Other than that, train in home and practice on range.
                      <br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.sodf.org\" target=\"_blank\"><b> S.O.D.F.</b></a>

Comment

The best you could get would be a Benelli M2 tactical. I currently have a Mossberg 590A1, and paid only about 340 for it NIB out the door a few years back. It took some breaking in, but it has been dead reliable, never short strokes and has fed and extracted everything up to a 3" mag that I have run through it. Wish I could afford a Benelli or a Fabarms autoloader, but it just is not in the budget at this point.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

I want to keep the Moss 500A as a more long barrelled hunting arm. And it has the unfortunate feature of no possibility of extending the mag. And the long wood stock and barrel make it dubious for anything resembling "close quarters".

Anyway, I've since picked up a Winchester 1300. Seems like a good arm and needs liile in the way of "accessorization". So I'll work with it for a while and I still have the Moss.

I need to find a good (cheap, local) training course for shotgun. Can't afford another trip to Front Sight right now. That and my stash of 12ga is way too low.

Comment

I have a little Moss....maverick 88 pistol grip pump 12 with a heat shield...........no lasers, no flash lights, does have a bandolear with extra selection of ammo. Nice house gun sitting at my bedside.
                            Woe be he that comes into my house at night uninvited.
                            The only thing I've ever considered putting on this bad boy is a high intensity light.
                            Keep it simple!
                            Peter 5:8
                            "Be sober, be vigilant; Because your adversary the Devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking who he may devour."

Comment

I need to find a good (cheap, local) training course for shotgun. Can't afford another trip to Front Sight right now.
                              I suggest APT it's "local" and the price is great for what you get.

Tell BJ Dan sent ya! [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.aptacademy.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X