Benelli M4 shotgun. Is it all that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Benelli M4 shotgun. Is it all that?

Perhaps the shotgun isn't best issued to frontline troops in modern warfare but for what's going on in Iraq I/E security work and house clearing they would seem to be perfect. They did work well in WW-1 for trench warfare IIRC and I heard mention they served well in Vietnam for jungle fighting as well. Depending on terrain, I can see a shotgun holding its own with any rifle, here where thickets are so heavy that even in winter being able to see fifty yards yards is rare, I think a shotgun would do well.
    "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
    The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

I just came back from Iraq and didn't see a single shotgun over there. I have thought that it would be cool to have a short barrel 12 ga mounted under an AR 15 like a M203...

Comment

a 12 gauge pump was my first and only gun for many years and got quite comfortable shooting it for sport and hunting.

the quick point shooting and the big holes it puts in everything make it quite comforting to carry for protection.

of course limited ammo capacity and short range have always been it's "Achilles heel'

now maybe a "belt fed' shotgun........................

Comment

yeah, yeah, IF you can (somehow) arrange for the ranges, etc, to be ideally matched to the shotgun, it can do ok, but basically it's a badly limited thing, chosen because guys can't be bothered to learn to shoot a rifle and pistol truly well. NO longarm amounts to a crap for home defense, simply because you probably won't HAVE it when it's needed. You IMAGINE that you will have plenty of time to go get it, but that's not the way it happens. YOu will be LUCKY if you have the 1 second needed to recognize the threat, and make a concealed draw of the pistol.

Ever TRY shooting thru much with a Brenneke? It doesn't even outpenetrate the M855 223, in most cases,a nd that's not saying very much. Brenneke's run about $1 a shot, so I KNOW that you don't fire the 5000 rds a year needed to be good enough with it. :-) YOu are just talkingcrap. MANY a riot barrel won'tRELIABLY put more than 2-3 pellets of 00 buck (standard 9 pellet load) into the 10" chest vitals at 25 yds, and they are hitting about like a .32 ACP pistol at that distance. WHOOPPEE, right? Overwhelming stopping power. Also, at a mere 20 yds, head sized holes appear in 00 patterns, with riot barrels, so guys who know enough to use COVER (unlike you) are going to be MISSED a lot at such distances.

Under combat stress, you are NOT going to be judging range worth a crap, so you will be using slugs where you should be using buck, and vice versa. Without a flashhider, you lose your night vision the FIRST shot that you fire out of a shotgun, especially indoors. The blast is so horrendous that you will nearly drop the gun, too. So anyone who doesn't even mention the out and out NEED of a set of "Wolf's Ears" muffs is somebody who doesn't have a CLUE what he's talking about.

Comment

why are you such a dick gunne? It overshadows anything else you might say that could add something to the discussion.

You are a hairs width away from being banned. AGAIN.

Comment

Originally posted by ISC View Post
              why are you such a dick gunne? It overshadows anything else you might say that could add something to the discussion.

You are a hairs width away from being banned. AGAIN.
              And a very thin hair at that.

Comment

Well all I can say is that over the years I've had very few people survive shotgun wounds. The surviving ones that come to memory were 410 bird shot to the groin, 12G with birdshot in legs, arms and shoulder, one holdup guy with 00 buck to the right leg....he lost the leg. Any center of mass shot, face/neck at close range even with bird shot were DOA. With the exception of the leg shot from the LEOs all others were DOA. Saw one guy hit by a rifles Slug in the chest at about 50 yards(DOA)....blew a good sized hole right through him.(mistaken for a deer by a deer hunter).
                Used to see a guy at the range shooting at targets with a 12G and slugs, always had a pretty good group(of course that was bench resting). Is it a good weapon for combat, I would guess not except for within 50 yards, but I certainly wouldn't wish to assault a position where they had one. Most likely a good weapon for home defense.

A lot of what gunne said was true about stress & shooting....except having been in a room with gun fire I sure didn't lose my night vision and didn't even notice the gun blast until thinking about it afterwards. It seems understress you selectively ignore the sounds you don't want and hear the sounds you do want. I noticed that playing football in high school......I always heard the commands but never heard the crowds roar. It always seemed the same with gunfire. At night you pupil gets larger, it also does that during the fight or flight response. So I think it really compensates for the light flash from the muzzel very quickly.....maybe I'm all wrong but it never seemed to bother me too much.
                Last edited by Black Pete; March 13, 2011, 12:17.
                Peter 5:8
                "Be sober, be vigilant; Because your adversary the Devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking who he may devour."

Comment

I figure even though the thread is old, it is still pertinent. The initial question is not necessarily about the viability of the shotgun. The end user can decide that, based on their own criteria. The question was "is the m4 worth it?"

Everything is relative. The benelli m4 is one if the few semi automatic shotguns built from the ground up to be a combat weapon. Most other shotguns are sporting/hunting guns that were brushed over and pressed into combat roles. As such, we see several things with the m4 that differ. One, it was subjected to very harsh testing. 25,000 rounds. The test mossberg keeps bragging about? They were the sole solicitor, and it was 3,000 rounds...to put that in perspective.

Battlefield Las Vegas is a range in Nevada. They employ veterans and introduce the public to shooting military style and movie prop type weapons. The benelli m4 is their longest lived shotgun. It went from 2012 to 2018 without a parts breakage, minus a rear sight when someone dropped it on the concrete. The lowest estimate for round count given to me by the owner is 40,000 rounds. In 2018, it broke 1 of the pistons. A drop in fix. Their 870s and 500s last, typically, 6 weeks before they are broken beyond simple repair.

reliability with the m4 using 3dram and heavier loads is very good. One of the few guns I've consistently taken out of the box and ran trouble free. Ive owned over half a dozen of them.

slow motion video of the action shows very smooth function. Compared to the siaga, it's like a Lexus vs. A solid axle wagon.

aftermarket support of the gun has come a long ways. We now have mounts that co witness an RMR or t2 with the factory irons (low 1/3). We now have very integrated wml systems that dont impede rapid takedown or reassembly and position the light well, and do not touch the barrel proper.

it is my opinion that if you want the best, most rugged tube fed shotgun in SBS form, the Benelli m4 is it. If you want the same in 18.5" form, again, arguably the m4 is it. The beretta 1301T is the only place I would look for competition in the 18.5" barreled market, and it's a sporting gun adapted. The parts replacement and breakage schedule on the 1301at underscores this, as well as the inability to break down the gas system without spring compressor, etc. The gas plugs in the m4 are analogous, but they can be replaced easily as a sub assembly, while the beretta system is barrel integrated.

Comment

I have learned that imitation is the best form of flattery that said, most knockoff products don't have the same quality control. This isn't always the case take PTR-91 in many respects their product is better than HK. How about a replacement for this expensive shotgun. I understand the parts even interchange and the shotgun is under 225$ NIB. Zenith M312 uses the same recoil ejection as the Benelli. No gas system like the new Remington auto POS models out there. Even the 870 pump's quality is in the toilet so an off brand from China actually has better heat treating and steel frames instead of the blended metals (HAWK 981 - at 120$ is a superior pump shotgun)

I have found there are gun snobs that think by paying more than you did it somehow makes them superior, I find that logic lacking. It is true that buyers need to be aware of what's out there but it is also true that sometimes better quality firearms don't have to cost the same as a "NAME BRAND" weapon.

Just saying it's all in how you want to use it. I wouldn't have a benelli because it's too expensive and I wouldn't want to shoot it. That's just me.
                    Call me John, just an old man with opinions.

Comment

Working...
                    X