Benelli M4 shotgun. Is it all that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benelli M4 shotgun. Is it all that?

My high school buddy served twenty years in the Army, serving with US Army Special Forces. He recently retired after putting his twenty years in. He has a piece of marble on his desk from Saddam's summer palace. Anyway, he recently purchased a Benelli M4 semi auto shotgun. He swears by it. Says I should sell whatever I need to sell to buy one too. I looked at the Benelli website, and the retail is $1700. They go for $1300 and up, NIB on gunbroker.com.

I could buy three three brand new Mossberg 590A1 shotguns for the price of the Benelli. Are these Benelli's really all that?
    Death is whimsical today. - Gary Oldman

Zombies man...they creep me out. - Dennis Hopper

Re: Benelli M4 shotgun. Is it all that?

My opinion, no. Not when I can buy a beat up but still servicable Mossberg for a hundred bucks. Sure he has more firepower-until he runs it dry and has to reload. I'd pay that to get a reliable rifle if necessary, not a shotgun.
    "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
    The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

no shotgun is worth much of anything as a combat arm, dude. They are one and all lacking in a flashhider, a sound suppresor, range, mag capacity, penetration, ease of reloading and carrying spare ammo. Their ammo is expensive, bulky, heavy, prone to damage and to contamination by oils and water. The list is very long of reasons to not bother with one, except maybe a gas-operated 20 ga auto (using 3/4 oz skeet loads) for introducing women and kids to fun shooting at an anchored-down, spring armed clay pigeon thrower. time and money wasted on shotguns and trainingwith them can't be spent on the rifle, the pistol and hand to hand, the latter 2 of which are many times more likely to be needed than the shotgun is.

Comment

No good? Inside 25 yards I defy you finding ANYTHING better! Hand to hand might be a help in certain circumstances but as long as I've got a SG, ain't nobody living gonna get that close. Ammo expensive? Yes, but what ain't? I buy bulk buckshot, nine bucks for fifteen, dang 5.56 is almost as expensive, 7.62 even more. Why does a flash hider have anything to do with it? By the time someone gets in shotgun range, flash ain't gonna matter one bit. You mention lack of penetration, guess you've never seen what a Brenneke slug will do, huh? Tell you what, give me my old single shot shotgun and a five minute head start and come looking. We'll see how no good a shotgun is.
        "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
        The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

I owned three Benelli M1 Super 90s before my collection was ripped off by the ATF. I had checked out the M4 at a local store and would have gotten a couple except that all of what I had access to at the time were "during the ban" models with the stock which did not adjust and the fake magazine extension.

I had several stepping stones of compromise on the shotgun side of my arsenal before finally stepping up and getting my first Benelli, then once I got one, I snagged each additional one I could get my hands on used. My buy prices going between $700 and $1000 depending on how one was outfitted.

I had gotten rid of the Remingtons, all but one Mossberg (I would have dumped it too except that I had engraved my name in it years prior), and my Beretta 1200 (almost a Benelli, but has an issue with jamming badly if you load it wrong).

Now you can customize a Remington 1100 to be almost as good as a Benelli, some might say better, but with the Benelli, you get it all there right out of the box. The Remington 1100s still need some gas system tuning to run right on a steady diet of buckshot when you run one with a 20" barrel or shorter. I just personally would not pay the extra $700 for an M4 Super -90 over the M1, but I probably would go a couple hundred over IF the stock adjustments were for real and the mag tube extension were for real.

You really notice the difference the Benelli makes when you hit the range at a three gun match. Going up against guys who were better pistol shooters than I, about equal with rifles, where I could pull ahead was my Benelli vs their Mossbergs and Remingtons. Nowdays though, the Saigas do offer a lot of firepower but are clunky when compared to the smooth grace of the Benelli.
          Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

Shotguns are no good for combat? Somebody should have told that to the late Bill Doolin.

RT, sounds like a ringing endorsement to me. Now all I need is a $1000-$1500. Maybe I will buy a lottery ticket on ten way home tonight!

Paintballmagnet, there is a lot to be said for the old standby Mossbergs, or Remington 870 for that matter. It is the shotgun blast that stops the criminal. Not how fancy the shotgun is. I have a side by side cowboy coach gun with external hammers in .12 gauge. That is still a good weapon, as far as I am concerned. Has an advantage, too. It has two hammers, two firing pins, and two triggers. It is like two guns. Even if one of the firing pins or trigger mechanisms breaks, you still have a second barrel that will work.

I don't think ammo cost is a big consideration in a home defense shotgun. I am in my forties now, and have never been forced to defend myself with a gun yet. If I have one box of reduced recoil law enforcement .12 gauge buck shot, that should last me the rest of my life, at this rate.
            Last edited by BruceNRALife; February 21, 2011, 12:11.

Comment

Keep poking around in the used sections at Shows etc... I just saw an M2 Tactical used but in super shape for 850.00 Deals can be had, just gotta be ready for them I guess.

JMHO
              Tread

Comment

I like the handling on the M2 better, but I am not recoil sensitive and don't really put a bunch of stuff on my shotgun.

Comment

they do look nice, but as RT mentioned you lose the extra round capacity and adjustable stock with the "civilian' version.

Comment

Originally posted by pahapoika View Post
                    they do look nice, but as RT mentioned you lose the extra round capacity and adjustable stock with the "civilian' version.
                    Which is what makes it lame in my opinion. That fake decorative thing they put on the end of the magazine is such an insult. In fairness, i think the stock that comes on the neutered M4 super 90 can be modified to function the way it should, but it is not like getting something that can become small and store small, like a sidefolder which is what would be pretty nice on a Benelli.

The regular stocks and the pistol grip stocks are pretty good on the M1s, I liked mine both ways but had a slight preference for the pistol grip models. I had to keep one of the Benellis in a California legal configuration for security work down there and it was still not half bad with the conventional stock and five shot mag. For some odd reason, the Beretta in a nearly identical configuration would recoil a hell of a lot worse, I mean bad, really bad. I got rid of it when I moved to Oregon and saw that exact same gun trading hands so many times at the local gun shows it was almost a joke. It is almost like there was a club of people who had that Beretta, the knowing rolling of the eyes when people talked about how it recoiled, that's where you would tell people who knew the gun vs not. It was bad, that bad. Oddly the Benelli with a near identical operating system would be not so bad at all.
                    Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

Originally posted by gunne View Post
                      no shotgun is worth much of anything as a combat arm, dude. They are one and all lacking in a ... range, mag capacity, penetration, ease of reloading and carrying spare ammo. Their ammo is expensive, bulky, heavy, prone to damage and to contamination by oils and water. The list is very long of reasons to not bother with one... time and money wasted on shotguns and trainingwith them can't be spent on the rifle, the pistol and hand to hand, the latter 2 of which are many times more likely to be needed than the shotgun is.

Actually, I mostly agree with this. A shotgun is really a specialty weapon, despite the claims of many that it can do anything. I hope that if I ever get into a shootout, my adversaries are armed with shotguns. Other than home defense and small game, I don't think they serve much of a purpose.

I have a couple 12 gauges, but haven't shot them in years. My littlest son has a .410 that he thought was neat because of the recoil, but that's about it.

I think that buying a $1500 shotgun would be the last thing that anyone should do unless they just HAVE to have something to trow money at.

Comment

Shotguns not suitable for combat?

Remington 870 shotguns loaded with buckshot were used by the famed German GSG-9 Commandos when they stormed the hijacked Lufthansa Flight 181 on October 13, 1977, at Mogadishu Airport, Somalia, during Operation "Fire Magic".

The GSG-9 killed three of the four hijackers, and rescued all the hostages. I am no German Commando, but if Buckshot works on terrorists at closer ranges, it would probably work on garden variety criminals/home invasion robbers at closer ranges.

Comment

The dynamics of modern warfare means that if you are engaging the enemy at shotgun ranges you are either in a very specialized mission or you're totally screwed.

I've been an infantryman for 15 years and have never fired a military shotgun or even seen a single government issued shell.

I think that a shotgun is among the best home defense weapons one can have, but unless one is on a special purpose room clearing mission it just isn't a good choice.

I can clear a room with my M4 or MBR, but I can't engage a target at beyond 100m with any shotgun.

Comment

I know a former Marine who claims to have fired a shotgun many times in Iraq, although he said that he was shooting rubber rounds at cars (the last warning before they opened up with the heavy guns). FWIW he claims to have trained on an M4 stateside, and was then promptly issued a Mossberg in country..... Not super happy about that.
                            Last edited by Southern Shark; February 25, 2011, 04:16.

Comment

ISC, Home defense is the only combat this old geezer needs to worry about being thrust upon my tired old azz!

Comment

Working...
                              X