Original Colt Thompson sub guns owners chime in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Colt Thompson sub guns owners chime in

mods- if this is the wrong forum please move, sorry.

We have and original , colt, "us navy" model 1928, serial number 862*, I would say it is a solid "good", bore looks good, finish is original blued and has some wear. it has 2 stick magazines and one factory 100 rnd drum. it has fins on the barrel. it has auto ordanance corp. NY,NY.

we wondering what we shoud be asking on this this weapon.

thanks for your input !
    Don\'t be late, Don\'t be light and Don\'t be last. Most of all, don\'t quit.....<br /><br /><br />excuse typos,<br />Semper Fi,<br />Shawn

Re: Original Colt Thompson sub guns owners chime in

I'll give you 500 for it, and I'll toss in an Oly Arms stripped receiver for free.

Comment

is it transferable ?

call me i'm in Dallas....check your PM

Comment

im not really sure, it is FA, and in original shape. I will chk PM's.
        Don\'t be late, Don\'t be light and Don\'t be last. Most of all, don\'t quit.....<br /><br /><br />excuse typos,<br />Semper Fi,<br />Shawn

Comment

I don't own one. However, I was a dealer and I will be selling parts at a gunshow in a week. I have a complete M1 or M1A Thompson lower (before people freak out, they are legal) and separately a stock also.

If any one is interested, contact me with a bid. Thank you.

Comment

Round figures...in this economy...$11K-$14K depending on accessories and a close inspection.

Comment

If its a legal, properly registered gun, in nice condition and with a 100 round drum, I'd say anything from $15,000 upward of $40,000, depending on condition and whether its been refinished.

Original Colt-made 1928 Navy models, like all original Thompson's are bringing insane prices.
              Original 100 round drums are themselves worth huge dollars.

Comment

it is the original finish, but how do i determine if its a registered gun or not?

Comment

...how do i determine if its a registered gun or not?

It will have a form 04 with it...a tax stamp serialized to the firearm.

And it will be priced like a good, used Corvette.

The NFA registry transfer of ownership tax will cost you a measly $200 to own that piece of history.

If it's not transferrable, the deal will take place in a dark alley and the price will be closer to $500. And the penalty for possessing such contraband can be 10 years in federal prison and a hefty fine.

Like the man said: "No tickee...no raundery!"

Be very certain the firearm is legit before coming into a mile radius of it.
                  Last edited by CAMPYBOB; November 16, 2009, 18:15.

Comment

thanks Campy, its legit, it was given to our department in the early 30's and was registered . we called the ATF and they gave us the "registration date".

its a neat piece of history to hold, but we really need new vest and other items and we are a small dept w/limited budgets.

Comment

Ah...dept. gun!

That reminds of a story from over 35 years ago...and yup, every word of it is true.

I grew up in a small Ohio town. Maybe 3,500 decent, God-fearing folks and handful of professional drunks.

Our Chief & 4-man department was just a half-step better than Andy and Barney of Mayberry fame. It was, and still is, located in the basement of City Hall...below all the village officials' offices and the town's meeting room.

After we graduated from the local high school a classmate of mine got hired on a patrolman.

The department's 'arsenal' hung openly on a pegboard on a wall in the Chief's office. Those were different times...

Anyway, the 'aresenal' included the usual riot guns and a couple of bolt-action hunting rifles and...a very nice Thompson 1928 (sorry, I don't recall the manufacturer).

Well, my old classmate and another officer were fingering the Thompson one afternoon down in the squad room...which was also the radio room...the break room...the booking room...and just about every other square inch of the department other than the Chief's office.

My buddy must have loaded the magazine up, racked the cocking knob and...BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM!!!!!!

He put a burst up thru the ceiling and up thru the floor of the Town Clerk's office! Narrowly missing the clerk (I'm guessing she needed to go home and change underwear) with all the rounds!

Officer Dumb$#^& was lightly disciplined for his indiscretion and that nice old Tommy went into cold storage. To this day I've not seen it again.

Oddly enough, another fellow I graduated from high school with is the current Chief of Police in our little town. I'll have to ask him if the old Thompson is still on his department books.
                      Last edited by CAMPYBOB; November 17, 2009, 19:30.

Comment

I had a basic M1 Thompson rebuilt from a Sarco kit. I compared notes with one at a rental range and noticed that mine had a longer "magwell" area opening than other M1 Thompsons. The original gun had been cut further back on the receiver so I know that part of mine was original. The logical conclusion is that it had been originally made on the Mexican contract specification for the .38 super magazines, and then got pulled over to the wartime production line to get finished out as a .45 for US military use.

The parts kit was something like $350 plus a lot of work to make the extra receiver section that I needed to complete it, then the acid bath, sandblasting and reparkerize work, refinishing the wood. It was my crowning build. The undercover bastard paid me $3500 for it, supposedly for a friend who was a collector.

Last I heard the feds were deciding whether to melt or keep it. I offered to demil it and have it put in the local war museum with the PPSH-41 they bought from me.
                        Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

does anyone know a QUALIFIED / INFORMED smitty that can give me a true estimate of the guns worth?

Comment

Originally posted by golddot View Post
                            does anyone know a QUALIFIED / INFORMED smitty that can give me a true estimate of the guns worth?
                            Put a posting up on subguns.com those people usually have a pretty good idea where prices are at for the collectible subguns at an given time. Just ask for some opinions on it and the people will usually be honest with you since most of the major C3 dealers in the US are on that board one way or another.
                            Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

Try Tony Rumore at Tromix.

Comment

Working...
                              X