• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No .30-'06 Greek HXP ammunition

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=77126

60 million rounds...gone. gone. gone.

Re: No .30-'06 Greek HXP ammunition

And it was at first predicted to last for years. Just WOW!
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

Yeah...I couldn't afford more than 2 cans...really wish I'd have had more money available. Do the South Koreans have any that is being brought in with the Garands/Carbines that I heard they are "selling" back to US customers?
      [B][URL="http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/%5C%22http://www.assaultvest.com%5C%22"]
      [/URL][/B]

Comment

I barely had the money to stash two cases over a year ago when it was still available without any limits. I didn't think then that it'd last the way people were buying. Personally I'd like to see a lifetime limit on the purchase of Garands-I see far too many showing up on tables at inflated prices. I do not think the CMP/DCM was set up to allow people to make a living off reselling surplus rifles.
        "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
        The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

I don't understand the CMPs thinking in letting people buy ammo by the pallet full, what did they think they were going to do with it but resell it. I really think the CMP should tighten up their rules AND ENFORCE THEM. Think how much ammo would be left if they had limited ammo to 10 cases a year.
          Be polite, be courteous, be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
          If you had it to do all over again with what you know now. You'd just make different mistakes.

Comment

I don't understand the CMPs thinking in letting people buy ammo by the pallet full, what did they think they were going to do with it but resell it.

In some cases it was for club use. One of the clubs I belong to (it's no longer CMP affiliated) bought .30-'06 by the pallet for use in the J. C. Garand matches and military bolt-action rifle matches. Shooter entry fees included the cost of ammunition ($15 for the first relay, $10 for each additional relay).

In some cases it was used by junior teams that were advancing their older shooters to centerfire matches.

I have seen individuals buying two full pallets of Lake City .30-'06. A heavy-duty 1-Ton Dually REALLY squats under that load!

Machinegunners started buying it right after cheap .308 went to insane prices and bought more when 8mm also turned into a precious metal. Some of the machinegunners have really deep pockets (think that dually and Haulmark set them back less than $60K?).

The mission statement of the CMP is to promote civilian MARKSMANSHIP. Not civilian blasting away on a 1919A4's. Not to generate club/team money by the sale FOR RE-SALE of its' catalog items.

Frankly, the CMP appears to be more interested in quickly generating dollars thru large volume sales units/purchases than putting ammunition into the hands of as many marksmen as possible. This is nothing new. It has been going on for a few years now.

Witness to this is the ever-increasing number of Garands, Carbines, 1903's, M1917's, smallbore martial training rifles and stacks of CMP ammunition containers showing up in the nation's gunshows, in the gunshops and on the various auction websites.

And yes, I've heard the bragging in the cage at Camp Perry and in the parking lot outside the CMP building.

Please note that I am not complaining. I'm NOT bitter or jealous in the least. The way things are is the way things are and I purchased my fair share from the CMP. It is what it is.

Comment

For what it's worth, the CMP folks had 2 pallets of .30-06 HXP (400 rds, loose in a 30-cal ammo can) that they brought for the CMP/Creedmore matches going on (ending this weekend). Limit of 2 cans, which I purchased...it was gone in about 2 hours (only because it took that long to run people through the register...).

So, it's not all gone...just not available via mail order. I am certain other CMP matches will have some, too...I'd hope.
              [B][URL="http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/%5C%22http://www.assaultvest.com%5C%22"]
              [/URL][/B]

Comment

Working...
              X