X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korea to Sell Old Rifles Back to U.S.

Saw this in a Korean newspaper...

Korea to Sell Old Rifles Back to U.S.

Korea will sell outdated M1 and carbine rifles used during the Korean War and the Vietnam War to the U.S. gun enthusiasts. They have long lost their value as firearms, except that reserve forces sometime use them.

The Defense Ministry's "green" logistics planning division said it decided to sell about 87,000 M1 and some 35,000 carbine rifles to the U.S. by the end of the year. "Importers are very interested in them as many Americans want to buy them as curios for their collections."

The ministry estimated their expected sale prices at US$220 per M1 and more than $140 per carbine. Korea could earn more than $20 million from the first shipment of those rifles. In fact, the old M1 or carbine rifle is traded at more than $1,000 in some cases in the U.S., a military officer said.

The Army and the Navy will get rid of all their stockpiles of M1s, but the ministry expects to keep earning dollars as it still keeps about 640,000 carbines for the reserve forces, which could also be disposed of as the reserve forces' equipment will be modernized by 2020.

The ministry's logistics planning division concluded that there is no legal problem selling the guns although a considerable amount of them were given by the U.S. to Korea as aid supplies.

M1s were made first in the U.S. in 1926, and many were used later in World War II and the Vietnam War. Carbines were manufactured first in 1941 and introduced to Korea in 1948, many given to soldiers during the Korean War.

Re: Korea to Sell Old Rifles Back to U.S.

The Koreans treated their a lot of their M1 Garands and M1 Carbines badly.

Does anyone need reminded of the condition of the Blue Sky (Va.) imports? Some were one grade above 'junk'. Some were unsafe to shoot. Even the decent ones were often import marked/stamped so deep into the bbl. metal that the bore was deformed! Hopefully the next generation of importers avoid THAT screwup.

The Garands were used with both corrosive and non-corrosive ammunition and I would want to see the bore before buying.

Lastly, the importers, wholesalers and retailers have a penchant for, if not price gouging (que the arfcom free market/capitalism loons), then at least living on another planet...anyone remember the recent civilian imports of a small batch of Italian Carbines being priced at $1000?!?!?!

This when the CMP will put a nice M1 Carbine in your hands for $419-$600 with NO import stamp...

Still, with CMP M1 Garands being in, at least, temporary shortage it's good to see another batch returning home to American hands.
    Last edited by CAMPYBOB; August 16, 2010, 19:09.

Comment

Let me get this straight: The USA GIVES Korea thousands of guns and they in turn SELL them back to us?

Comment

CMP has no part in this deal.
        Also....wasn't Korea one of the few places that paid for the M1s?
        Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
        I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

I spent a little time in Korea in 1966-67, never saw any M1 Garands in korean hands but the M1 Carbines I saw were not being taken care of that well. I can't imagine how bad those weapons must be after 40 years of abuse.
          Be polite, be courteous, be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
          If you had it to do all over again with what you know now. You'd just make different mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by CAMPYBOB View Post
            This when the CMP will put a nice M1 Carbine in your hands for $419-$600 with NO import stamp...

Still, with CMP M1 Garands being in, at least, temporary shortage it's good to see another batch returning home to American hands.
            Hey, at the very least, you might have a decent receiver and other ancillary parts to build a shooter. Then again... As for me, I'm sitting in high cotton, Garand-wise, as well as Carbine-wise, and about to be sitting in a pile of grain *crossing fingers* hint-hint.

Comment

Hi,

Did the article specify where and when the sale would take place?

Comment

Re: update Korea to Sell Old Rifles Back to U.S.

The M1 Garand rifle
                By Jung Sung-ki
                Staff Reporter

The planned exports of aging U.S. combat rifles will begin this year when two successful wholesalers are selected by the governments of South Korea and the United States, an official at the Ministry of National Defense said Monday.

Last week, the ministry announced a plan to sell more than 100,000 M1 Garand and carbine rifles used during the Korean and Vietnam wars to American gun collectors as part of an effort to boost its defense budget.

The Seoul government has already selected six preferred bidders to export the rifles, while the U.S. government has picked four domestic bidders after it recently approved a proposal made by South Korea in 2006 to sell the weapons back to the United States, the official said.

By the year's end, the Korean government will select a final bidder, which will then choose its U.S. partner company to sell the outdated rifles to the U.S. gun enthusiasts on- and offline, he said, declining to identify the candidate firms until the final announcement.

Since the ministry revealed the sale of the rifles, most of which have been mothballed for about five decades in military warehouses, U.S. gun collectors have shown a keen interest in buying the classic rifles.

"I applaud this idea; destroying such historic firearms would be a shame. Whether you agree with recent U.S. policy or not, the M1 Garand played an important role in the last century. They are fine firearms," a U.S. gun enthusiast wrote in an e-mail to The Korea Times.

A total of 86,000 M1 rifles and another 22,000 carbines will be sold, according to the ministry, which estimates their expected sale price at $220 and more than $140, respectively.

South Korea earned more than $20 million from the first shipment.

M1s were made first in 1926 and used in World War II and the Vietnam War. The carbines were first produced in 1941 and used during the 1950-1953 Korean War.

gallantjung@koreatimes.co.kr

Let me get this straight: The USA GIVES Korea thousands of guns and they in turn SELL them back to us?

We transferred ownership to the South Koreans. They were not 'lend/lease' rifles. The Koreans are within their rights to surplus them off and the deal has been in the works for several years.

Since the rifles are being sold off, these will NOT be sold thru the CMP. I suspect the usual suspects among the high-bidding importers (Century, Interordnance, etc.) will be the outfits bringing them in. From there they will either be sold directly, sold to the retail outfits (AIM Surplus, S.O.G., etc.) and possibly both.

This isn't the first time the South Koreans have sold back surplus U.S.G.I. rifles. The Blue Sky Import M1 Carbine deal was well over a decade ago.
                Last edited by CAMPYBOB; October 10, 2009, 17:31.

Comment

The Isralies have sold a lot of what was given to them by US Tax Dollars/Washington.

Some they sold back as used or surplus to the same US Tax Payers who originally paid for the items.

Some they sold brand new, still in the crate, to Communist China.

With friends like that, who needs enemies?
                  [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]The Washington Government can take their “Global Empire” and shove it up their “Pelosi”![/FONT]

Comment

The Isralies have sold a lot of what was given to them by US Tax Dollars/Washington.

'Given'...but, in a roundabout way. We 'Give' the Israelis mucho foreign aide dollars and they are required to procure certain 'aide items' (everything from fighter jets to missile systems and our un-needed small arms) by 'Buying' it from us.

It's a shell game.

So, they actually 'Buy' most of the hardware outright.

I have an Izzy 1919A4 that was among several thousand parts sets that the Israelis turned back into dollars by selling them off as surplus. The Jews are not ones to waste money on either end of the deal!

In the end, it's still our money that's being given away!

Comment

Well, the Israelis were "selling" me Uzis for an average of $150 each, so I am not complaining too loudly about their "greed".

When you add it up, at these prices you are not really paying for the gun, just helping them out with storage, maintenance and shipping costs.

This means that Garands and carbines are likely to be hitting the gun shows at under $300 per copy.
                      Last edited by RT; October 10, 2009, 23:29.
                      Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

This means that Garands and carbines are likely to be hitting the gun shows at under $300 per copy.

I sincerely hope you are correct, but I fear you are way off the mark.

Comment

I'm sure the dealers will make sure that you pay a premium for a rifle that should have been destroyed 20 years ago.
                          There is no I' n team!
                          [URL="http://www.cjcs-supply.net"]www.cjcs-supply.net[/URL]
                          There are three types of people in the world: 1. Those that can count. 4. Those that can't.
                          So, am I your man Mr. Dumbass? The name, is Dumaas!

Comment

Originally posted by CAMPYBOB View Post

I sincerely hope you are correct, but I fear you are way off the mark.
                            Why? I seem to remember $199 M1 Carbines from Israel being advertised in Shotgun News in the early 1990s. That translated to store prices in the $279 range. We also had some $449 M14s that were not half bad, and if I remember correctly, they were USGI parts kits on new receivers, although there were disputes over the quality of the receivers, Springfield armory themselves eventually went to cast receivers. If I remember correctly, parts kits for the surplussed M14s were available in the $200 range.
                            Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

Why? I seem to remember $199 M1 Carbines from Israel being advertised in Shotgun News in the early 1990s.

tempus fugit.

I wonder how much Big 5/CDNN paid for those $999 beaters that were on the market a few months ago.

The CMP gets theirs for free and $419 to the $10,000+ auction Carbines is the going rate.

The only prices I've seen competive with the CMP's in the last decade was Cole's...and those were import-marked beaters returned from the English civilian marking. I should know; I bought one at Knob Creek years ago and I would guess the price tag would be double, today, what I paid back then.

$449 M1A's??? I'll buy EVERY ONE you can deliver to me at that price!

Comment

Working...
                              X