Build-It-Yourself AR Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build-It-Yourself AR Questions

So, went to an area gun show the other day with a thought of looking at poodle shooters for the lovely bride. Small show but still a couple hundred ARs to choose from. Problem is they were all either A. way too pricey, or B. way to wacky (paint schemes, accessories, overbuilds, etc). Ended up leaving with a spare magazine, a holster and a few pieces of junk silver. Darn near spent more on admission than on products.

Have been directed to look at PSA's kits as they come up occasionally in terms of very low pricing for basic sets. Which comes back to what works well with what.

Criteria desired:

1. Low cost: what passes for a low cost these days for a finished build? I have heard under $300 - is that reasonable?

2. Lightweight: think an older person who is getting to the stage in life where recoil can be a factor, hence why a .223 chambering rather than 7.62 x 39.

3. Carry handles, tacti-cool lasers and assault lights and 3 different types of sights to choose from for any given shot just aren't on the list of must-haves. Not even a under-the-barrel bottle opener.

4. Is a forward assist needed? Desirable?

5. Barrel length: reasonable? How about lining: chrome, nitride, dihydrogen monoxide? Does it matter if we aren't talking a life span of a full-size PU load of rounds sent down range?

6. Who is reliable, who is out these days as far as quality and fit? For that matter, piston vs. gas-op?

Appreciate the thoughts from those who actually play with these things. Have always been a .30 range fan around here, never owned anything smaller than 6.5mm in terms of social arms, and that was a Jap battle rifle.

RR
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

See the links below. I have several PSA AR's both multiple calibers (both AR-15 and AR-10 based) all are top notch.

"https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165449717.html"

Total cost with both items approximately $ 379.98 + shipping and handling + transfer cost on lower

Add magazines and you are good to go.

<p><strong>Barrel</strong>: Chrome-moly vanadium steel, chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1:7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a Mid-length gas system. The A2-style profile barrel is Melonite treated for accuracy and durability. Barrel is finished off with an
    "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
    http://survivalblog.com
    MOLON LABE!
    AC0XV

Comment

I will add that if you get on there email list, and keep an eye out you can find some really good deals from time to time. At one point they had kits + lower running just under $300 total. With all that has been going on with these shootings, I would not wait long to purchase as I can see prices going up quickly.
      "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
      http://survivalblog.com
      MOLON LABE!
      AC0XV

Comment

I helped 2 friends get ARs through PSA.
        ONE guy did the sinple route and bought the Freedom fully assembeled upper (shipped to his house) and the freedom fully assembeled lower (shipped to the dealer).
        These are usually sold $219 and $129 respectively with FREE SHIPPING on both.
        The other friend we went the Blem route wich was $259 with free shipping. He bought a different lower for $49 (free shipping) and I assembeled the lower for him.
        The BLEM kit came fully asselbeled which I wasn't expecting. I couldn't find this BLEM they spoke about...

As for build it yourself. I tried to break the AR down for friends and I think I came up with there are only 12 items that are NOT customizable, and they are usually just springs.

Uppers, go flat top, with numbers on the railed top. They are "cool looking" but also if you end up getting one of those megalithic handguards those usually have numbers on them, so they will match.

I alway get forward assist for the original look.

Barrels. Get the best you can afford. I usually buy what is on sale. Melonite and PQP are the same thing just different name. I think this may be replacing Chromed ligned for some factories.

Pistol grip. I hate the standard because of the one finger bump is in my way. I use the older Vietnam era style. Magpul grips are a large grip. I have 2 of thiose too.

Stock Whatever looks good to you.

Trigger and hammer pins. I like the original style KNS anti-walk pins.

Piston-vs-gas inpingment. I have both. The piston is nice because 1) No gas in your face (ocassionally especialy with Wolf ammo) 2) Bolt and upper reciever stays cool. 3) the gun doesn't **** where it eats, so everything stays clean. I have a Adams Arms drop-in kit and like it, but havent really shot it to death yet.

The "THING" with AR people (people that are a bit more than just the guy who "has one") is that we know the price of every part and accessory so its a "look what I have and you don't kind of thing. One part or accessory or red dot can be overlooked to most people but to AR guys Its HOLY CRAP he has a $2200 red dot (Elcan), or a $200 flash can over a $19 flash hider.

Have fun, its Barbies for men. Actually its more like American Girl dolls for men.

BISHOP
        The rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way...

Comment

OH BTW, Yes I also have the under barrel bottle opener. Mine is on the railed handguard, on the side, near the front sight (out of the way).

BISHOP
          The rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way...

Comment

"You keep 'em pinned down and I'll open the brews."

RR
            Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

Comment

Working...
            X