Building an AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an AR

Well, assuming my last two deliveries are on time, I will be building an AR for the first time this weekend. Wish me luck, I may need it!

We're going to need details, and pictures or it didn't happen.

RR
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

Comment

Pictures will have to wait, obviously. Basically building the typical M4 style.

Spike’s Tactical Crusader lower
      Aero Precision upper
      DSArms 16” chrome lined M4 profile barrel.
      A2 short flash hider

If this one goes well, I think I’ll build an A1 style next.

Comment

Well, so far, so good. Had 2 boxes waiting on my porch when I got home from work. DSArms and Brownells both were a day ahead of schedule.

Comment

Be careful with the take down pin detent pins and springs, or you need to order more when they’d shoot across the room and bounce 4 times in to oblivion.

BISHOP
          The rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way...

Comment

Well, the build went fairly smoothly. No problems with the pivot pin at all, but that was likely due to a little tool I picked up for that.

The only real headaches I ran into were:

1. Getting the spring in place for the takedown pin. Getting it compressed into the hole without bending it over was a royal pain for some reason. That one went flying a few times.

2. Getting the gas tube in place. Had a lot of trouble feeding it in as the front sight tower kept me from being able to feed it in straight enough to fit through the openings.

3. The handguards were a real pain to get lined up, especially over the barrel nut. Even thought I did go ahead and get the tool from Brownell's to try and make it easier.

Anyone got any tips on this? I think I will do another one at some point. Thinking of doing an A1 clone next time.

Comment

Nice looking little package.

RR
              Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

Comment

Originally posted by Reasonable Rascal View Post
                Nice looking little package.

RR
                Thanks. Just a basic little build, but it was fun! Hopefully it all works correctly. Have to get it out to a buddy’s place and do some live fire soon.

Comment

Working...
                X