Building an AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an AR

Well, assuming my last two deliveries are on time, I will be building an AR for the first time this weekend. Wish me luck, I may need it!

We're going to need details, and pictures or it didn't happen.

RR
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

Comment

Pictures will have to wait, obviously. Basically building the typical M4 style.

Spike’s Tactical Crusader lower
      Aero Precision upper
      DSArms 16” chrome lined M4 profile barrel.
      A2 short flash hider

If this one goes well, I think I’ll build an A1 style next.

Comment

Well, so far, so good. Had 2 boxes waiting on my porch when I got home from work. DSArms and Brownells both were a day ahead of schedule.

Comment

Be careful with the take down pin detent pins and springs, or you need to order more when they’d shoot across the room and bounce 4 times in to oblivion.

BISHOP
          The rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way...

Comment

Well, the build went fairly smoothly. No problems with the pivot pin at all, but that was likely due to a little tool I picked up for that.

The only real headaches I ran into were:

1. Getting the spring in place for the takedown pin. Getting it compressed into the hole without bending it over was a royal pain for some reason. That one went flying a few times.

2. Getting the gas tube in place. Had a lot of trouble feeding it in as the front sight tower kept me from being able to feed it in straight enough to fit through the openings.

3. The handguards were a real pain to get lined up, especially over the barrel nut. Even thought I did go ahead and get the tool from Brownell's to try and make it easier.

Anyone got any tips on this? I think I will do another one at some point. Thinking of doing an A1 clone next time.

Comment

Nice looking little package.

RR
              Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

Comment

Originally posted by Reasonable Rascal View Post
                Nice looking little package.

RR
                Thanks. Just a basic little build, but it was fun! Hopefully it all works correctly. Have to get it out to a buddy’s place and do some live fire soon.

Comment

Well, finally had a chance to test it out on Christmas. Put a couple hundred rounds through it. Only issue was one lite primer strike for whatever reason. Other than that, everything worked smoothly.

Comment

Looks good! They are fun to build. The problems you ran in o are common on each build, every time. There is a tool for the front take down pin retaining pin and spring made by Real Avid that makes it insanely easy.

https://www.realavid.com/shop/ar15-pivot-pin-tool

BISHOP

Comment

Originally posted by BISHOP View Post
                      Looks good! They are fun to build. The problems you ran in o are common on each build, every time. There is a tool for the front take down pin retaining pin and spring made by Real Avid that makes it insanely easy.

https://www.realavid.com/shop/ar15-pivot-pin-tool

BISHOP
                      I have that one. It did make it extremely easy. My issue was with the rear one, unfortunately.

Comment

OH. With the stock you have. You need to see at which point you will be stopping so that buffer tube is just touching that buffer retaining pin to hold it down.
                        From there unscrew the castle nut all the way. Pull the plate that holds the spring in place all the way back, maybe at an angle.
                        Slowly turn the buffer tube until its all aligned holding that spring from moving and push the plate forward all the way, then tighten the castle nut.
                        I have bent many of these also.

Every once in a while a buy 1 or 2 lower parts kits, just to have extra parts.

One of my latest builds had a problem with failure to fire1-2 out of 10 bullets. It was pissing me off. Then I noticed that my bolt carrier was catching on something when I slowly cycled the empty gun.
                        I noticed that a semi bolt carrier would catch but not a full auto carrier.
                        in the end it was a faulty (either) hammer or trigger. I noticed that the hammer was sitting higher when cocked back, like it wasn't cocked back all the way.
                        It could have been the hammer it could be the trigger. I just ordered a new set and changed both and now it sits as low as the rest of my ARs and shoots flawlessly.

BISHOP

Comment

Working...
                        X