rear sight advice on custom build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear sight advice on custom build

While I'm waiting on my reciever for my next AK build...
    I just picked up this Yugo SKS. Someone had cut the barrel just behind the front sight, so I used what I had...a Romanian AK front sight. I had to do a little machining, then pressed it on and drilled and pinned it like factory.I then slid a 74 style brake on the muzzle and tack welded it.
    Which leads me to this problem...I was thinking of welding some type of AR A2 rear sight to the reciever cover. should this be level with the front sight post,or a little higher?

Re: rear sight advice on custom build

You may want to look at the rear sights for the SKS they have here.

http://www.tech-sights.com/

Comment

thanks...I checked into those already. The AK front sight base is alot taller than the SKS. I think if I get an A2 I can fabricate something. if I run a level plane from front to rear I am about 1" above the reciever cover(this would be the center of my ghost ring)

Comment

Gunwolf- I picked one up in similar condition a while back and haven't gotten around to trying to put a front sight on it yet. Can you post some more specific details of how you mounted that front sight?

Love the bipod by the way. I have a couple of those same clamps!
        Freedom isn't free!

Comment

the Yugo barrel was slightly larger in diameter than the inside dimension of the Romanian front sight base. I forget the exact measurements...but can mic it up later and post them. I then put the FSB in the drill press and used a bit that was .1000 (forgive me if that's mis typed...I'm a carpenter!) smaller than the Yugo barrel diameter. you can't just slide it on...I heated it slightly then pressed it on using a 3/4" deepsocket in a 6 ton press(you could probably just tap it on )
          while it was still "warm" I adjusted the cant to make sure the sight was inline with the centerline of the rifle.I then drilled for the "pins" that hold it in place,and tapped them in with a brass drift and a hammer. I left just enough muzzle showing to install my brake...about 1/2". I would have just threaded it,if I were in a "free" state.
          Last edited by Gunwolf; March 31, 2008, 07:09.

Comment

I have come up with an Idea...I moved to the gunsmithing forum...
            http://assaultweb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48523

Comment

Working...
            X