Islamic martyrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islamic martyrs

I have read and heard that the martyrs such as the pilots of the 9-11 planes that destroyed the New York buildings would go immediately to Paradise and be waited upon by 77 virgins.
    Where in the Koran is the chapter and verse that states this belief? I am not a Muslim but I have read the Koran and can find no mention of this.

Shamelessly nicked from another site! Mea Culpa!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What of the rewards in paradise? The Islamic paradise is described in great sensual detail in the Koran and the Traditions; for instance, Koran sura 56 verses 12 -40 ; sura 55 verses 54-56 ; sura 76 verses 12-22. I shall quote the celebrated Penguin translation by NJ Dawood of sura 56 verses 12- 39: "They shall recline on jewelled couches face to face, and there shall wait on them immortal youths with bowls and ewers and a cup of purest wine (that will neither pain their heads nor take away their reason); with fruits of their own choice and flesh of fowls that they relish. And theirs shall be the dark-eyed houris, chaste as hidden pearls: a guerdon for their deeds... We created the houris and made them virgins, loving companions for those on the right hand..."

One should note that most translations, even those by Muslims themselves such as A Yusuf Ali, and the British Muslim Marmaduke Pickthall, translate the Arabic (plural) word Abkarun as virgins, as do well-known lexicons such the one by John Penrice. I emphasise this fact since many pudic and embarrassed Muslims claim there has been a mistranslation, that "virgins" should be replaced by "angels". In sura 55 verses 72-74, Dawood translates the Arabic word " hur " as "virgins", and the context makes clear that virgin is the appropriate translation: "Dark-eyed virgins sheltered in their tents (which of your Lord's blessings would you deny?) whom neither man nor jinnee will have touched before." The word hur occurs four times in the Koran and is usually translated as a "maiden with dark eyes".

Two points need to be noted. First, there is no mention anywhere in the Koran of the actual number of virgins available in paradise, and second, the dark-eyed damsels are available for all Muslims, not just martyrs. It is in the Islamic Traditions that we find the 72 virgins in heaven specified: in a Hadith (Islamic Tradition) collected by Al-Tirmidhi (died 892 CE [common era*]) in the Book of Sunan (volume IV, chapters on The Features of Paradise as described by the Messenger of Allah [Prophet Muhammad], chapter 21, About the Smallest Reward for the People of Paradise, (Hadith 2687). The same hadith is also quoted by Ibn Kathir (died 1373 CE ) in his Koranic commentary (Tafsir) of Surah Al-Rahman (55), verse 72: "The Prophet Muhammad was heard saying: 'The smallest reward for the people of paradise is an abode where there are 80,000 servants and 72 wives, over which stands a dome decorated with pearls, aquamarine, and ruby, as wide as the distance from Al-Jabiyyah [a Damascus suburb] to Sana'a [Yemen]'."
    Pax Christ.. <br />Rev. Joel<br />++++++++++++<br />We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne\'er so vile, this day shall gentle his condition: and gentlemen in England now a-bed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin\'s day.

Comment

Rev. Joel, thanks for your reply.
      My version of the Koran was translated and commentary made by Maulana Muhammad Ali. It seems to me that there are more versions of the Koran than there are of the Bible. And commentators can make it sound like they want it to. Sura 56, 15-40 is the closest thing I have found in my copy but it still doesn't exactly prove the statement that I have heard and read in the newspapers and on some of the forums. I am of the opinion that the statement is a man-made statement just like so many of the modern versions of the Bible are today. They have left the King James and the American Standard of 1901 and make it read like the interpreter wants it to read.

Comment

As far as Islamic marytrs are concerned...I'm all for them. All I ask is that they allow me to arrange their introduction to Allah.

If any of these monsters want to die for Islam, I'd be happy to assist them.

419!

Comment

Ahhh the joys of facilitation!
          Pax Christ.. <br />Rev. Joel<br />++++++++++++<br />We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne\'er so vile, this day shall gentle his condition: and gentlemen in England now a-bed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin\'s day.

Comment

I have recently heard that the word translated as "virgins" also had another meaning in that region during the time that the koran was written. Something more along the lines of "white grapes". Apparently, it would make more sense, becuase the koran DOES mention heaven being overflowing with fruit and white grapes would certainly have been a rare delicacy at that time.

Comment

we should cut to the chase and conquor the middle east and put all the arabs on an island in the middle of the pacific... or drop them in north korea (wearing a shirt with the south korean flag)... either way, then we take their (i mean OUR) oil... and sink it turning it into the worlds laregest lake for people around the wolrd to come and enjoy watersports.

Go USA... we rule, they dont, deal with it.

Comment

I have begun reading about Islam(that whole know your enemy thing) and have found that a lot of thier heaven is about pleasures of the flesh. Like the fountains of honey, milk, wine and water that flow, the 77 virgins (boys or girls) who stay virgins forever.
                Our faith tells us that our heaven will be paradise because we will be in the light of the Lord and that will sustain us.
                Now I believe that Mohammed was right when he first thought that he was talking to Satan.
                Think about it, Satan is all about pleasures of the flesh, and God is all about pleasures of the soul.

Comment

Working...
                X