Guardian Angels for adults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardian Angels for adults

Is there a biblical case for their being a one on one assignment of an Angel for every adult?

Someone asked me this and my answer is that there isn't, we have the Holy Spirit as a guide and protector and while Angels may be used we don't have one assigned.

What is your belief on this?
    Bible verses would be most welcome.
    VERITAS VINCIT
    A CRUCE SALUS

There are, according to the Bible gateway website, 291 references to angels. None of these specified an 'assignment' type of arrangement. Most seemed to be of the 'sent for this purpose at this time'type thing.
    The closest I have found is this:
    Psalm 91:10-12
    10 No evil will befall you, Nor will any plague come near your tent.
    11For He will give His angels charge concerning you, To guard you in all your ways.
    12They will bear you up in their hands, That you do not strike your foot against a stone.

Which seems to reference 'angels' in general as opposed to angel singular.

Other refences that are close are:
    Psalm 34:6-8
    Hebrews 1:14

Hope this helps.
    "I was talking to the man upstairs, saying 'God, please keep us safe,' and putting some rounds downrange...." --Staff Sgt. Bruce Jones

[URL="http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php"][B]WWW.CALGUNS.NET[/B][/URL]

Comment

Interesting idea, I was never led to believe there was a one on one relationship.

Comment

I found that reference but it seems to apply to children. I believe strmrdr was asking about adults.
        i may be wrong in my interpretation of 'little ones'.
        "I was talking to the man upstairs, saying 'God, please keep us safe,' and putting some rounds downrange...." --Staff Sgt. Bruce Jones

[URL="http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php"][B]WWW.CALGUNS.NET[/B][/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by SEATTLE:
          Is there a practical reason for the question, or is it a matter of curiosity?
          Both, long story.....
          short version:
          someone told someone if they didnt do something they will lose their guardian angel.
          Which upset them, which brought up this discussion.
          VERITAS VINCIT
          A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

We've had that discussion a couple of times in Bible Study at my Church.

The question that kept coming up, and for which the answer depends on your interpretation of Matthew 18:10.

Is Our Lord referring to literal "children", or to His "Children". Is it a flat statement, or somewhat of a parable?

Welcome to the joy of the study of the Scriptures, and to the equal joy of trying to discern rightly.
            Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by SEATTLE:
              Strmrdr, It saddens me when people use religion to discourage others. God is for us, not against us. What the world needs most in this dark hour is HOPE.
              Amen!
              VERITAS VINCIT
              A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

This is one of the cases in the life of a Christian that no answer is complete right or completely wrong. On can debate the definition of "children" as young people or that we are all children in the eyes of God. Here is the TRUTH. Your salvation as a child of Christ doen not hang on whether we believe in an individual guardian angel or not. It hangs on the acceptance of Jesus Christ and our Lord and Savior. We live our lives after that acceptance as if to say "thank you" for that most precious gift. If you feel comfortable with the idea of a perpetual guardian angel, so be it; if not, so be it. Most importantly don't let it become a point that takes you eyes off of the Cross.
                Pax Christ.. <br />Rev. Joel<br />++++++++++++<br />We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne\'er so vile, this day shall gentle his condition: and gentlemen in England now a-bed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin\'s day.

Comment

Working...
                X