Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excluding Maven`s rant, I think Herr Walther`s question made for an interesting post. Like it or not, the Bible says some really 'un-PC' things in it. What it really says, is a shock to most people who never actually have read it or relied on televangelists to tell them what is says.

My advice to anyone, is to read the first book of the Bible for yourself.

Comment

Well, thanks. I didn't mean to start a debate on the subject. I was just asking an innocent question from someone who is not really schooled in the Bible.

I thought there was a clear answer in the Bible of who Caine's wife was, but I guess none of us will find that out for certain until we arrive at the Gates.

Or rather, after we're in.
      [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Originally posted by Mama06:
        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fsgear:
        Again, with all respect for the mods (I`m disagreeing again):
        All I did was quote Scripture.
        Not add to, or take away.
        Now, the statement: "Cain married his sister", of Buck, I disagree with. Show me in the Bible, where it says that. It doesn`t.
        My post was a reply to what ridgerunner stated in his post when he said that "the pre-Admites were the ones found wanting in being a wife(help meet) for Adam."

Pre-Adamites are, IMO (as well as the opinion of many others) "added to" the teachings of the Bible, as they are not actually mentioned.
        </font>[/QUOTE]Mama06,

True,pre-Adamites are not mentioned by name but they are by implication.

When Cain said "Now everyone who finds me shall slay me.",who was the "they" that he was afraid of?According to the Bible record Adam & Eve had only two sons at that time,Cain and Abel,their third child,Seth had not yet been born.

In Genesis 4:17 who helped Cain build a city?Do you think he waited around until his wife had given birth to a multitude of children so they could help him,he surely did not build it himself.

Sometimes you have to think "outside the box" to find answers.

Comment

I think, on this type of question, we need to consider when and who wrote Genesis. While the Hebrew people were camped in the Desert, in a place called Kadesh-Barnea, Moses took the task of writing Torah (The Pentatuch or first 5 books of the Old Testament). He called together the scholars in the freed Hebrews and asked them what the "history" of the Hebrew People was so that it could be written down for the ages. Genesis, up until after the Flood, was found in the oral traditions of the Hebrews. One can speculate about the origin of Cain's Wife as easily as guessing the number of angels that can dance on a pin, and you know what? It is NOT a point that your salvation hangs upon. It is oral history told by the historians a few thousand years after the fact. Never let questions like "Cain's Wife" drag you into lengthy dicussion because it could draw your focus from the foot of the cross.
          Pax Christ.. <br />Rev. Joel<br />++++++++++++<br />We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne\'er so vile, this day shall gentle his condition: and gentlemen in England now a-bed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin\'s day.

Comment

Yeah, Herr Walther, don`t ever bring it up again.

The answer to the question, is in Genesis. There are no errors in the Bible.

Comment

Originally posted by RevJoel:
              I think, on this type of question, we need to consider when and who wrote Genesis. While the Hebrew people were camped in the Desert, in a place called Kadesh-Barnea, Moses took the task of writing Torah (The Pentatuch or first 5 books of the Old Testament). He called together the scholars in the freed Hebrews and asked them what the "history" of the Hebrew People was so that it could be written down for the ages. Genesis, up until after the Flood, was found in the oral traditions of the Hebrews. One can speculate about the origin of Cain's Wife as easily as guessing the number of angels that can dance on a pin, and you know what? It is NOT a point that your salvation hangs upon. It is oral history told by the historians a few thousand years after the fact. Never let questions like "Cain's Wife" drag you into lengthy dicussion because it could draw your focus from the foot of the cross.
              Joel,

I thught it was the Holy Spirit that showed Moses what to write,not Hebrew scholars.Hebrew scholars would have hardly been in a position to say much about Cain's wife...

Comment

The important thing to remember about the Creation story is that it is a theological, rather than a scientific, statement. The Bible mostly concerns salvific history, so the inspired writers were moved to focus on people and events relating to the larger concept of salvation.

Earth is very old. There is a lot of extra-biblical evidence of civilizations pre-dating our current 7,000-year cycle

Comment

I may have chosen the word scholars in error. It should have been the "historians". Since the history of the Hebrew people had not been written, these historians carried the oral history in their minds and hearts. No one is denying in any way that the work was not Spirit Guided.

That being said, I do believe this topic has been hashed out completely and it time to close it down.

[ March 10, 2006, 23:38: Message edited by: RevJoel ]
                  Pax Christ.. <br />Rev. Joel<br />++++++++++++<br />We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne\'er so vile, this day shall gentle his condition: and gentlemen in England now a-bed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin\'s day.

Comment

Working...
                  X