Who were the Nicolaitians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who were the Nicolaitians?

Who were the Nicolaitans and what was their doctrine that is mentioned in The Revelation?

I've done a search on it but so far I haven't come up with anything other than speculative answers. Any thoughts?

Thanx,
    Efraim

------------------
    "I want to be oncommon"
    -Pip, Great Expectations.

"For there shall be a day, that the watchmen upon the hills of Ephraim shall cry, Arise ye, and let us go up to Zion unto YHWH our God." Jeremiah 31:6

Nico in Greek = Victory
    Laitans in Greek = Laity

Essentially it means victory over the Laity.
    Many Protestants and Anabaptist's believe
    it relates to the "Catholic Priesthood"
    (and Byzantine, Greek Orthodox and Russian
    Orthodox Priesthoods).
    The shoe company "Nike" is a variation
    of the Greek word.

Comment

Efraim, I seem to recall that you were intrested in information about giants.

The Book of Giants 4Q203, 1Q23, 2Q26, 4Q530-532, 6Q8 http://www.nazarene.net/enoch/4Q203.shtml

This came from this site: http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/%7Ehumm/Re...Texts/dss.html

[This message has been edited by gconan (edited 04 August 2002).]

Comment

From the Greek Hebrew dictionary---Nicolaitans = "destruction of people"
        a sect mentioned in Rev. 2:6,15, who were charged with holding the error of Balaam, casting a stumbling block before the church of God by upholding the liberty of eating things sacrificed to idols as well as committing fornication

Pax Christi
        Rev. Joel+
        Pax Christ.. <br />Rev. Joel<br />++++++++++++<br />We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne\'er so vile, this day shall gentle his condition: and gentlemen in England now a-bed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin\'s day.

Comment

Amended
          From Strongs Concordance.
          #3532 Victory over the people.
          From #3534 nikos= triumph; victory
          #2992 laos = a people

Laity = (According to the New World Dictionary) All the people not included
          among the clergy; laymen collectively.
          all the people not belonging to any given
          profession.

I still contend it means victory by a
          clergy or priesthood over the lay people.

Comment

Contributed by my dear brother in the Risen Messiah, Neal:

CHAPTER 29 Nicolaus and the Sect named after him

At this time the so-called sect of the Nicolaitans made its
            appearance and lasted for a very short time. Mention is made of it in the
            Apocalypse of John. They boasted that the author of their sect was Nicolaus,
            one of the deacons who, with Stephen, were appointed by the apostles for the
            purpose of ministering to the poor. Clement of Alexandria, in the third book
            of his Stromata, relates the following things concerning him. "They say that
            he had a beautiful wife, and after the ascension of the Saviour, being
            accused by the apostles of jealousy, he led her into their midst and gave
            permission to any one that wished to marry her. For they say that this was
            in accord with that saying of his, that one ought to abuse the flesh. And
            those that have followed his heresy, imitating blindly and foolishly that
            which was done and said, commit fornication without shame. But I understand
            that Nicolaus had to do with no other woman than her to whom he was married,
            and that, so far as his children are concerned, his daughters continued in a
            state of virginity until old age, and his son remained uncorrupt. If this is
            so, when he brought his wife, whom he jealously loved, into the midst of the
            apostles, he was evidently renouncing his passion; and when he used the
            expression, 'to abuse the flesh,' he was inculcating self-control in the
            face of those pleasures that are eagerly pursued. For I suppose that, in
            accordance with the command of the Saviour, he did not wish to serve two
            masters, pleasure and the Lord. But they say that Matthias also taught in
            the same manner that we ought to fight against and abuse the flesh, and not
            give way to it for the sake of pleasure, but strengthen the soul by faith
            and knowledge." So much concerning those who then attempted to pervert the
            truth, but in less time than it has taken to tell it became entirely
            extinct.

Pax Christi
            Rev. Joel+
            Pax Christ.. <br />Rev. Joel<br />++++++++++++<br />We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne\'er so vile, this day shall gentle his condition: and gentlemen in England now a-bed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin\'s day.

Comment

http://www.ibiblio.org/expo/deadsea....ary/enoch.html

Comment

Working...
              X