Clear All

• Stock Market Stumble or DIVE

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...pop/ar-BBIo54O

DOW was DOWN 180 on Monday
    DOW is DOWN 350 right now on Tuesday

Interest rates are going up.

Are the Dark Forces trying something?
    Will it get out of hand?

We HAVE had the 3rd longest Bull Market in History.

Re: Stock Market Stumble or DIVE

Predicted "Correction"
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...wed/ar-BBIqbYs

The 10 best Januarys for stocks have two things in common: The full year ended with a gain, and there was also a fairly significant sell-off.

Strategas studied the 10 biggest January gains for the S&P 500 since 1950, and found the advances ranged from 5.8 percent, in 1980, to 13.2 percent, in 1987. If the S&P ends the month where it is now, it would be No. 6 of the top 10 with a 7 percent gain.

Each of those strong January performances led to a full year gain, averaging about 22.3 percent. Wall Street strategists, surveyed by CNBC, expect the S&P to rise to 3,000 by year end, from its current 2,860 level.

So in the top 10 January years, the old Wall Street adage 'So goes January, so goes the year' worked well, but it left out the part about the correction.

In each of those years, there was a selloff ranging from a low 4 percent to as much as 34 percent in 1987. The median loss in the intra-year selloffs was 8.2 percent, and the average correction was 11.8 percent.

After January, the S&P had a positive 11 months from Feb. 1 to Dec. 31, in all of the top years except for 1987. In 1987, the year of the crash, it lost 9.9 percent in that period and was up only 2 percent for the year. The other nine years averaged an 11-month gain of 13 percent.

"A strong January typically bodes well for the rest of the year, but we shouldn't ignore the possibility of a correction. You typically see some form of a pull back, but the end result is a typically strong full-year performance," said Todd Sohn, technical strategist at Strategas.

Comment

I think this is a memo distraction.
      But as a wise friend told me If someone is selling someone is buying.

karl
      Karl

[url]http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/[/url]

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

Meh. The Dow is currently down a little bit more than 1% on the day, which is hardly a "Dive".

I've been expecting a 10-15% correction for a while. It can't just keep going up all the time. It'd take something fairly radical happening to push it over the edge into a real crash.
        Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

2 words:

Apple, Investigation
          Call me John, just an old man with opinions.

Comment

I have absolutely no idea what all those numbers mean. The stock market is an alien language to me.
            [FONT=Impact][SIZE=20px]TRUST NO ONE -- QUESTION EVERYTHING [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Hedging pending Trumps SOTU address tonight...
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkred]Just because you're [I]not[/I] paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Looks like it's recovered over 500 points and is +250 now. That SOTU got folks excited.
                ▬ [COLOR=Sienna][B]Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. [/B][/COLOR]- [I]Samuel Johnson[/I] ▬

▬ [COLOR=Purple][B]The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.[/B][/COLOR] ▬

Comment

You can count on the left to shaft the market so to attack Mr. Trump
                  Peter 5:8
                  "Be sober, be vigilant; Because your adversary the Devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking who he may devour."

Comment

DOWN over 650 on Friday.

DOW Futures for Monday, DOWN 729
                    BUT
                    That is a prediction, we will see what happens when the market opens.

Comment

Did You KNOW??

You CAN bet on a collapse or serious "correction".

Go on any stock trading site and look for BEAR Funds.
                      Those go UP when the Market goes DOWN.

If you have Nerves of steel, big brass Balls and a Heart pumping liquid nitrogen, you can bet multiples.

Here is a fund (and there are many) that pays 3 TIMES the other way.

https://screener.fidelity.com/ftgw/e...type=sq-NavBar

If the S&P 500 goes DOWN 1%, this fund goes UP 3%.
                      As the market has had a loooooong Bull Run UP, the fund has of course done poorly.
                      If a year ago you had cried, "It's got to drop SOME TIME" and bought the fund, you would have lost half your money by January 29, 2018.
                      BUT
                      That fund went UP over 6% on Friday and up over 10% for the past week.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlock View Post
                        2 words:

Apple, Investigation
                        Originally posted by Wood Devil View Post
                        I have absolutely no idea what all those numbers mean. The stock market is an alien language to me.
                        Same here pretty much. I have sum mutual funds since before Obummer was in. In those 8 years I lost money in most quarters. The first quarter after DJT was sworn in my net gain exceeded my wildest expectations and TBT I had no expectations. It was far more than the good statements from 8 years Obozo was in. I hope my funds continue to do well. I'm cautiously optimistic.
                        [B]Grumpy Old Fart [/B][IMG]http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/core/images/smilies/graemlins/050.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Dow ended DOWN over 1,100 points today.

We are almost exactly where we were on Jan 1, 2018.

Comment

Thursday, DOWN over 1,000 points

We ARE in a "Correction", the markets having lost 10%.

Right NOW, as are MOST people who have been around for a while,
                            I am still above my close of 9-30-2017 and well above my buy-in.

IF it strikes down on Friday, I will probably bail-out.

++++++++++++

On the other hand, over the years, I have been "Kissed Out" twice due to setting my "Stop Loss" orders too tight.

+++++++++++

Comment

Working...
                            X