Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Stabilizing Speed Boat

141015-martiniboat-08

"The mechanics of the active suspension aren’t too complicated. Like a pontoon boat, the Martini sits on two long hulls shaped like skis. Those are connected to a platform at the front and back by metal arms. Each corner, where the arm meets the hull, has a linear accelerometer, a pneumatic airbag, and a DC servo motor. To match the movement of the ocean, detected by the accelerometer, the motor turns a ball screw that pushes or pulls the control arm, lowering and raising that end of the hull as necessary.

The result is a boat that works like an Olympic hurdler: The legs fly up and down to clear obstacles, the torso and head stay level. With each corner acting independently, the system can handle all kinds of motion: pitch (front to back), roll (side to side), and heave (when the whole boat goes up and down). And you don’t have to worry about upsetting the balance of the boat by walking around, either. The airbags change pressure to keep the platform level when people and cargo move around."

" It also looks like a ping pong table on canoes, but everything’s a bit bigger, and there’s a little cabin on top. I'm glad it's there, since the boat is made to handle 5.5-foot waves at 30 mph. At that speed, the wind makes being on deck unpleasant, no matter how level the boat."
    https://www.wired.com/2014/10/velodyne-martini-boat/

O. K.

flashguy
    [FONT=Arial]When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." [/FONT]

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Comment

Figures it'd be you Lasergunner just going by yer Handle! Was this puppy invented/developed by DARPA or some regular entrepreneur?

WELL I THINK IT'S SOOPER DOOPER AND LOOKS WAAAAAAAAAAY WILDER THAN I KIN EVEN IMAGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOES DOD KNOW YET? ? ? LOOKS LIKE A FAST NOSEEUM 4 INSERTION & EXTRACTION 4 SEALS

4 THE BROWN WATER US NAVY Is this vessel SCREAMING AND SQUEALING FROM THE FEELING LOUD like the 1st time anyone ran say a .300 STIHL CHAINSAW 4 THE 1ST TIME???

ME THINKS AMERICA CAN WEAPONIZE THIS VESSEL!!!!! IS DOD ENTERTAINING THE NOTION OF ASKING FOR PRELIMINARY SKETCHES OR DRAWINGS?

THE FLY BRIDGE WITH 3 BULKHEADS OFFER SAFETY FOR CREWS. ADD TIE DOWNS TO KEEP CREW MEMBERS IN THE BOAT...
      [/u]

TOO DANG FAST 4 THIS OLD SAILOR. PLUS ISSUE BRIGHT ORANGE FLOTATION SUITS 4 CREW.[/u]

IN AN EARLIER LIFETIME I WAS A NAVAL ARCHITECT.....
      [B]Grumpy Old Fart [/B][IMG]http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/core/images/smilies/graemlins/050.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
      X