Road Trip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip!

About Wednesday or Thursday of next week, I'm going to be off and running for a week or two.

I'm going to take the wife up to Wisconsin to see her mother. One of my great regrets in life is that I didn't get to spend more time with my Father in his old age, but I was working and whatnot, and never really could just take a couple of weeks and blow up there. Now that I'm retired, that's not the case. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself for a couple of weeks other than die of boredom, but I'll get over it, and the MIL is not going to last forever, She's 84, and has all the problems my wife has and then some.

All I can do is what I can do, but I won't deprive the wife of getting to spend some time with her Mother at this stage of the game. So off I go. (Yipee!, or whatever....)
    Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Have a safe trip, both of you.
    "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
    [URL]http://survivalblog.com[/URL]
    MOLON LABE!
    AC0XV

Comment

OK, where in Wisconsin are you going to be located? There are a lot of things to do up there and I'm sure others here will be happy to suggest some activities to keep you from molding in the house. If everyone is up for it, take a round-trip ride on the S. S. Badger ferry between Manitowoc, WI and Ludington, MI. The Lighthouse Restaurant on Lake Michigan has good food (the Haddock is excellent).

flashguy
      [FONT=Arial]When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." [/FONT]

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Comment

Originally posted by flashguy View Post
        OK, where in Wisconsin are you going to be located?

flashguy
        Indianhead region, about 60mi NE of MSP metro.

I lived there for about 10 years, so I know the area. The problem is getting my wife to do anything. She isn't a whole lot more mobile than her mother is, so if it requires walking, it's right out. Also, anything we do would involve the MIL's husband, who generally drives me bat-crap crazy after about an hour or so.

I've got my fingers crossed that her mother will want her to stay there. We're currently scheduled to camp on my little brother. If I can leave the wife with her mother, my brother and I can at least get out and wet a line or something. It's only about 10 miles from one place to the other, so I could easily be present at the MIL's often enough to avoid claims that I'm neglecting them and still not be subjected to 8 or 10 hours a day of unrelenting boredom while the wife and her mama discuss knitting patterns or somesuch.

With my luck, the hooter-monkey circus will chimp out again in Minneapolis while we're up there and I'll have to come back via North Dakota or something to avoid the place.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Be safe and have a good trip.
          God, Guns, and Guts made this country...let's keep all three

Comment

YOU COULD always make a quick side trip to the UP to get some Pastys/pasties...
            AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
            God carries a 1911.
            Just another day towards 20...

Comment

UP, UP, UP!

I like lake superior.

Visit Copper Harbor.MI

Thx-Ace

Comment

Originally posted by acem View Post
                UP, UP, UP!

I like lake superior.

Visit Copper Harbor.MI

Thx-Ace
                I'd love to get back up to Copper Harbor, but I don't think the wife would buy in.

Comment

up map 3.jpg
                  Attached Files
                  AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
                  God carries a 1911.

Comment

Well, so much for that trip.

Let us just say that we had a Logistics issue and leave it at that. Once the Wife can solve the logistics problem, we will probably end up going up sooner or later, but the whole "sooner" or "later" thing depends on her being able to discern what will reasonably fit into a Jeep Renegade.

Comment

SOUNDS LIKE

Gonna need a bigger boat.. er vehicle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTMxZxI7-SQ
                      God carries a 1911.

Comment

Unless you are actually moving to Wisconsin, she should be able to get by with one suitcase and you with a backpack. Her mother won't care if she wears the same outfit 2 days in a row. They do have laundry facilities, right?

flashguy
                        [FONT=Arial]When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by flashguy View Post
                          Unless you are actually moving to Wisconsin, she should be able to get by with one suitcase and you with a backpack. Her mother won't care if she wears the same outfit 2 days in a row. They do have laundry facilities, right?

flashguy
                          I hate to bring it up, but you have obviously never been married.

She's in the mode of "I want to bring my entire wardrobe for a 10 day to two week stay", combined with the whole "You can't tell me what to do" thing. After 48 years and change, I'm used to it, but occasionally she pushes it a bit too far, which is what happened this time.

Comment

You're right, and that is probably why I never got married.

flashguy

Comment

Working...
                            X