Flooding!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flooding!

Burst pipe under sink flooding kitchen and neighboring rooms. Water utility notified. ServPro cleanup requested. Drinking and toilet water saved for use.

flashguy
    [FONT=Arial]When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." [/FONT]

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Do you not have a valve some where near the Hot Water Tank? Usually in a 'utility' room, not too far from the hot water tank will be a valve you can turn off the incoming water for the house.
    "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
    [URL]http://survivalblog.com[/URL]
    MOLON LABE!
    AC0XV

Comment

Good luck getting anyone to show up this month.

They turned my power off for a little over seven hours from about 0500 Monday morning, when it was -3. The line into the house froze and broke out at the well. I may be able to get someone out here to fix it this month, or maybe not. I do have the pump turned off, so it's not flooding anything, but it's going to be a bad time until I eventually get water back.

There ain't enough plumbers to go around.
      Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

There is a valve under the sink but I didn't know it was there and I couldn't turn it when I found it. My Handyman Pete is here now and turned the water off at the meter. He's using a wet vac now to suck up some of the water. It took 2 hours to get hold of the utility company and they still haven't come to turn off the water. I don't need them now that Pete did it. He's also a plumber, but I don't know that he will want to do the fix. I also have asked ServPro to come do their thing. They do it for a living. Not sure when they'll get around to it.

I never lost power at all, and the house stayed fairly warm. I have food for the cats and me. Things could be worse.

flashguy
        [FONT=Arial]When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." [/FONT]

Comment

My Handyman has completed temporary fixes and I've got hot and cold water in necessary places in the house now. He didn't find a few parts he needs to make a permanent fix, but I'll get by for now. All is well.

We discovered yesterday that the leaks were before the valves under the sink, so even if I'd been able to close them it wouldn't have helped. I am fortunate that only the downstairs pipe had issues. The carpets are fairly dry now--not sure what will happen with them.

flashguy

Comment

Good to hear, and good to hear you are ok.
            "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
            [URL]http://survivalblog.com[/URL]
            MOLON LABE!
            AC0XV

Comment

Originally posted by Papadoc View Post
              Good to hear, and good to hear you are ok.
              Thank you. I was pretty fortunate that matters weren't worse. I stayed calm because the cats and I were OK and I knew things could be fixed by applying money. My Handyman Pete is awesome! I am so fortunate to have him looking out for me and my home.

flashguy

Comment

I got my water fixed Friday afternoon. I'd called my usual Plumber about 1600 Tuesday afternoon, and got on the list early. He's using a burner cell phone to communicate because he says that he can't call on his regular one, because he gets an incoming call every time he turns it on to dial.

I got out of it all cheaper that I though it was going to be. Other than the main line out at the well, nothing was broken, so it only cost me $300 to get back into operation.
                Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Glad to hear all is well at your place, Jeff. Pete expects to finish mine tomorrow. He had to get some more parts (ones that are not on the Wanted list by others this time) to fix a wornout drain.

flashguy

Comment

Working...
                  X