Prepping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping.

You can do whatever you want to, or not, but I'm expecting a whole lot of crap to hit the fan between now and November, and probably thereafter.

Do and plan as you will, but even if you are like I am, and have mostly as much ammo as I'm ever going to need, there are things you probably ought to be stocking up on.

Have you got food for at least six months, and preferably a year? Fuel? Generator? Batteries? And on and on. My biggest concern at this point is Medications, particularly for my wife, who needs Insulin. I have a 6 month supply of everything else, and rotate it by "FIFO". If I get a bit more paranoid, I'll stock another six months supply back, but I got to be able to keep the Insulin cold, so there's that.

Note for the record: Having all the ammo I'm ever going to need is relative. I got a deal on another 500 rounds of 5.56 a couple of weeks ago, and I bought it. It's not like it's going to spoil in the next few years, right?

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Look to a truck stop and get you a 'truckers' cooler. These look like your normal igloo ice coolers, but have a refrigerator/heater unit built in. They are designed to run off of regular 12-volt power. Another alternative would be to get you a refrigerator/freezer from a RV. These can generally run on either 12-volt, or Propane and come in various sizes. Just some food for thought.
    "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
    [URL]http://survivalblog.com[/URL]
    MOLON LABE!
    AC0XV

Comment

Originally posted by Papadoc View Post
      Look to a truck stop and get you a 'truckers' cooler. These look like your normal igloo ice coolers, but have a refrigerator/heater unit built in. They are designed to run off of regular 12-volt power. Another alternative would be to get you a refrigerator/freezer from a RV. These can generally run on either 12-volt, or Propane and come in various sizes. Just some food for thought.
      Watch Out.

Many of the "Truckers' Coolers" are NOT real refrigerators. They say right on the box, "Will lower temperature 40^." So if it is 90 outside, it will only cool things down to around 50*.

If you are thinking of an RV refrigerator / freezer, try to get an OLD one that will run on propane or 120 VAC (city) electricity.
      Any thing newer than around 1990 has to have 12VDC for the control circuits. If you get a three-way (propane, 12VDC, 120VAC) where the chilling is actually done by 12VDC, you had better have a BIG battery/solar system.

NOTE: There ARE NEW UNITS built for the Third World that require no electricity at all. Some run on propane, some on kerosene. They COST $$$$ and often when you look, they are listed as "out of stock" because so many people are buying them.

http://www.propaneproducts.com/gas-r...tors-25-1.html

Comment

Wow 18 cubic foot propane only running 2999 + 249 for lift gate delivery, ouch!
        "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
        [URL]http://survivalblog.com[/URL]
        MOLON LABE!
        AC0XV

Comment

Off at a slight tangent from refrigeration, but is anyone else noticing all sorts of random stuff missing at the grocery stores or Wally-world, or wherever? This week it was canned Veggies and canned Soup. TP was thin on the ground, and Paper Towels were also in short stock. On the other hand, canned meats were back to about normal. A couple of weeks ago, it was the opposite.
          Tomato Sauce and suchlike comes and goes, also.

I'm firmly convinced it's going to get tense between now and November, and probably for a while thereafter. Forewarned is forearmed.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

I learned my lesson and am well stocked on anything "essential". For decades I've kept & rotated out fuels for the generators. PIA, but every spring & fall I dump 5 gal cans into vehicles & replen with pure gas, treat so good for at least a year & no ethanol. What's really cool I learned from just trial runs is the HF quiet 3500W inverter generator runs a LOT of stuff and sips fuel. I can run the "beer fridge" in the garage cycling on & off an hour here & there with that one and keep it cold for a very long time on just a tank of fuel. And it meets expectations for quiet. And being an inverter type, no issue plugging up newer TVs, computer, etc & worrying about the 'dirty' power from a typical portable genny. Just a small part of the puzzle, but that one for sure is one to get. You have to be really close to it to hear that it's running and not the same sound a typical jobsite generator. So if you aren't doing something stupid with it like making light, not attracting attention during an emergency.

I am a bit irritated with myself for primers though. I KNOW those are first reloading components to go and keep a healthy stock, but just did an inventory and should have more on hand than I do right now. If this goes on more than 18 months or so, I will shoot less for sure!
            They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.<br /><br />-- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

shopping in North Florida reminds me of show shopping was described in communist countries. You shop early, buy what is available, live with the high prices. Lots of outages, substitute products you are not familiar with and always higher prices
              may the Bonnie Blue wave forever<br /><br />Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Comment

What is the shelf life of Insulin when refrigerated? Even if you could get it, I doubt it would still be good 6 months later.

flashguy
                [FONT=Arial]When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." [/FONT]

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Comment

Just to let you know, there's a chest freezer out there that will run on one 12vdc. solar panel. It's pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by jefferson101 View Post
                    You can do whatever you want to, or not, but I'm expecting a whole lot of crap to hit the fan between now and November, and probably thereafter.

Do and plan as you will, but even if you are like I am, and have mostly as much ammo as I'm ever going to need, there are things you probably ought to be stocking up on.

Have you got food for at least six months, and preferably a year? Fuel? Generator? Batteries? And on and on. My biggest concern at this point is Medications, particularly for my wife, who needs Insulin. I have a 6 month supply of everything else, and rotate it by "FIFO". If I get a bit more paranoid, I'll stock another six months supply back, but I got to be able to keep the Insulin cold, so there's that.

Note for the record: Having all the ammo I'm ever going to need is relative. I got a deal on another 500 rounds of 5.56 a couple of weeks ago, and I bought it. It's not like it's going to spoil in the next few years, right?
                    BECAUSE of where we live "UP NORTH" .. power outages and trouble getting things is just another day at the office.
                    Have generators and fuel and food enough to get us through the year into next spring if we are careful and that is even if I don't find a deer that wants to commit suicide.

While not fully stocked, the stores up here have enough to keep the locals from doing what "civilized cities" do, which is rape pillage and loot.
                    AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
                    God carries a 1911.
                    Just another day towards 20...

Comment

Working...
                    X