X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Light Bulb is back

US lifts ban on old-style light bulbs

• 05 September 2019
    The US is scrapping a ban on energy-inefficient light bulbs which was due to come in at the beginning of 2020.

The rule would have prohibited the sale of bulbs that do not reach a standard of efficiency, and could have seen an end to incandescent bulbs.

Many countries have phased out older bulbs because they waste energy.

But the US energy department said banning incandescent bulbs would be bad for consumers because of the higher cost of more efficient bulbs.

The Department of Energy said it had withdrawn the ban because it was a misinterpretation of the 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act.

Specifically, the law stipulated that restrictions on bulbs could only be implemented when it was economically justified , Shaylyn Hynes, a spokeswoman for the Department of Energy, told the New York Times.

Activists say the government has come under pressure from manufacturers.

" It makes zero sense to eliminate energy-saving light bulb standards that will save households money on electricity bills and cut climate change emissions," Appliance Standards Awareness Project executive director Andrew deLaski told the Washington Post.

"Instead, the Trump administration is siding with manufacturers that want to keep selling outdated, energy-wasting light bulbs."
    https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-u...mpression=true

Originally posted by Lasergunner View Post
    US lifts ban on old-style light bulbs

• 05 September 2019

"Instead, the Trump administration is siding with manufacturers that want to keep selling outdated, energy-wasting light bulbs."
    https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-u...mpression=true
    I HOPE SO.
    AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
    God carries a 1911.
    Just another day towards 20...

Comment

I am of the opinion that the market will solve this situation. When AMERICAN-MADE energy-efficient light bulbs become economically viable, they will eventually take over the market, and the government does not need to take a part (nor should it).
      When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Comment

There are efficient LED bulbs with good color now at affordable prices - so the market will resolve any evil light bulb problem - no need for the government one size fits all - that was trying to force people to buy crappy fluorescent bulbs that burned out too soon, gave awful light, and contained mercury.
        Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. - KJV 2 Cor 3:17

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. - MLK

Molon Labe

Hate is no substitute for love, nor passion truth.

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
          There are efficient LED bulbs with good color now at affordable prices - so the market will resolve any evil light bulb problem - no need for the government one size fits all - that was trying to force people to buy crappy fluorescent bulbs that burned out too soon, gave awful light, and contained mercury.
          HELL YEAH I was lucky enuf and INTELLIGENT enuf prior to the old fashioned INCANDESCENT LIGHT BULB SCARE getting phased out to find a BOX of 20 for $5 20 Bulbs package of 60WATTERS sometime b4 Christmas 2017. Either LC or Jeff101 regaled us all one day with his "every time I hit the store 4 anything I pickup some olld style light bulbs." (Not so long ago he regaled us with how he has ONE THOUSAND INCANDESCENT BULBS (NO DOUBT RANGING FROM 25W [REEFER BULBS] TO 100s.He'd put in his LAST WILL and TESTAMENT how he'd willed light bulbs to his kin... I recall one day at Grocery Outlet coming around an aisle and there's a YUGE DISPLAY of the Old Style incandescent bulb 20 to the box just $5... It did not even matter if I'd a had 100 100w 75w and 60w (300 of each size mind you) I meant to STOCK UP......

If anyone here had any doubts THAT's HOW MY NOGGIN WORKS always has always will. (Since I was 18 and at the ocean.) Shoot it was about 0930 when I saw this here thread. Past 1030 now. Like one a my fave activities as alla you Johnson FUN. Need I say more?? Nope no nada...

We had a genuine LIGHT SHOW HERE last night the WHOLE SHEBANG THUNDER LIGHTNING AND POURING DOWN (STRAIGHT DOWN) GULLY WASHER RAIN yet virtually NO WIND nada nope nowatusi. It was cool. I went outside on my porch for a few and it was GREAT FUN just watching it come down... So much rain on the road car tires were HYDROPLANING. Made me damn glad I dint need nuttin from the store. Yup bout 75minutes making this one post. It's times like right now Retirement IS FUN.
          Grumpy Old Fart http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/cor...emlins/050.gif

Comment

Oh yeah. I need some more 100 watters for the pump house.
            Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
            Patrick Henry

The laws allow arms to be taken against an armed foe. Ovid

Comment

There are still some applications where incandescent bults are desirable--ones where the heat output is wanted, too.

My Handyman just finished installing LED lights above my kitchen sink; he did the kitchen ceiling light a few months ago. They are very nice. (And the incandescents burned out pretty quickly--I have quirky power.) He'll do the light over the downstair toilet later this month, while I'm gone.

flashguy
              When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Comment

I like LED's or CFL's for a lot of places. Having noted that, they do not last as long as they are advertised to, by a long shot in some locations.

They have to be kept cool, as far as I can tell. If there's any buildup of heat, they die like a dog. Or maybe even if there isn't heat buildup. I put an eight bulb string of overhead lights over the mirrors above the sink in the Master Bath when I re-did it three years ago. I'm fixing to replace my third one of those at about $7/bulb. Those lights don't run more than two or three hours a day maximum.

How many Incandescent bulbs, at $0.25 each could I have put in there for what I have in those? $56+$21+$77, which is 308 bulbs at $0.25 each. I ain't saving nothing worth worrying about on it all, unless the electricity is basically free. Hint for the Ecologically confused....It ain't farging free.

Oh, but I ran the bulb for a couple of years for 25% of the $2/year it would have cost me to use the Incandescents. Wow. I saved a fortune there, now didn't I? The savings almost pays for a new bulb.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                  As far back to 1975 lived about 2yr in a nice furnished apt for a flat $65mo including free power/heat I could use the phone too. No cable back then. We got 2 TV channels maybe 3. CBC outta Canada KVOS out a Bellingham and mayyyyyyyyyyybe a Seattle channel.

Mack I wood like to know WHERE you found EFFICIENT LED bulbs cuz out here basically there were no such aminal. Plus LC was it said he paid $7 PER BULB??? That's no deal that's HIGHWAY ROBBERY. I WON'T pay $7 per bulb. I bought 2 I guess they're LED bulbs at Dollar Tree. $1.00 for ONE BULB thought it was a gyp but they were brighter. So I was gonna get more right?? Everbody bought some and now DT is OUT of them. Can't win 4 losing. So 1st time I threw out a LYING dint last nowheres NEAR as long as I was told. Then local govt here don't want me throwing MERCURY filled lights out. SCREW what my county wants. Thirty yrs ago AGINST THE WISHES OF THEIR VOTERS they had some Italians build a fire burner to burn our garbage and the smoke was processed into ash blocks.The process DID NOT WORK AS PROMISED OR ADVERTISED. Long story shorted up our garbage is trucked to Kititas county where they got room for 100 years a garbage. It's the first major industry they've had in like IDK 100 yr. so I givem some merc. I am about 2 fall down 4 the count of

Well what do ya know it is 0640 and I never got any sleep last night.
                  OH YEAH guess what fellas MY POWER comes from the Baker Lake Dam and Hyfro Power Project
                  Last edited by noname762; September 9th, 2019, 09:13. Reason: Baker Lake Damn Project makin HYDRO POWER outta winter SNOW. . .
                  Grumpy Old Fart http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/cor...emlins/050.gif

Comment

Working...
                  X