Shots Fired. Quick, Call An Uber!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shots Fired. Quick, Call An Uber!

Black Friday shooting at Destiny USA in Syracuse sets off fear, escape: ‘Everyone was panicking’

Updated Nov 30, 12:39 PM;Posted Nov 29, 8:36 PM

SYRACUSE -- Shoppers and employees reacted with fear, panic and confusion as shots rang out at Destiny USA on a busy Black Friday shopping day.

Rick Camken of Camillus was shopping at Off Broadway Shoes in the mall when he saw people running down the hall around 7 p.m.

Store employees announced that everyone in the store should get to the back room and stay there; they suspected there was an active shooter in the mall, he said.

About a dozen people hurried to the back room, all worried and feeling panicked, he said. Everyone was on their phones, trying to find out what happened, he said.

Camken said he didn’t hear shots, but could see people scurrying down the hallway. Some people were scared, but the store employees had the situation under control.

Some people argued with store employees saying they wanted to get out to continue shopping, and that others were out there shopping. The workers insisted they stay there until they received the all-clear about 45 minutes later.

People were then told to go down the hall in one direction, exit the mall and avoid the food court, Camken said.

"The employees were great,'' he said. “All the stores had their gates closed, and it just seems like people should obey the instructions.”

On social media, people expressed shock and outrage that there was a shooting at a Syracuse shopping mall on Black Friday. People were scared and in disbelief. At first, shoppers worried there was an active shooter.

Other Destiny employees shared what happened.

Chase Sherwood was at the mall when he heard a shot.

Sherwood, a 19-year-old college student, was looking forward to eating with co-workers and taking his break from his job at Hollister. He thought someone dropped something.

But then an asset protection officer herded employees and patrons into a stockroom. The employee, who preferred to only be identified as an eight-year military veteran, knew the sound was a gunshot when he heard it. The man, who says he did two tours in Afghanistan, was calm.

Sherwood texted his father asking for a ride, worried about whether an active shooter loose. The chat group set up by employees began to flow with messages.

Thomas Swiney of Pennsylvania was visiting family in Binghamton when they all went to the mall to shop.

Swiney said he rushed out of the mall after the first shot, fell on the escalator and had cuts on his leg and bleeding knuckles.

He said people were rushing out of the mall, some crying and others calling Ubers.

“This is the type of thing you have nightmares about,” Swiney said.
    -----------------

That's how our special snowflake/soyboy generation handles public shootings. Call an Uber. If only the poor Jews had had access to private taxi service.

RR
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

"others calling Ubers"? How did they get to the Mall in the first place?

flashguy
    When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Comment

SHEEP...
      WE have become a nation of sheep with no clue of reality... except for the "shows" on TV
      AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
      God carries a 1911.
      Just another day towards 20...

Comment

"others calling Ubers"? How did they get to the Mall in the first place?

flashguy
        DUH, UBER!!

People take these everywhere. I know because my wife is an UBER driver. Matter of fact, she has the highest rating in the area.

BISHOP
        The rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way...

Comment

Working...
        X