Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who knows anything about compound bows????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows anything about compound bows????

SO boy turns 21 in a few weeks. I figured he'd want cash for b-day & that was my plan but today he says he'd rather have a 500 SW ($1200 gun isn't happening!) or a bow for hunting.

Told him I'd be glad to get him a bow, but honestly know nothing about them. Said he doesn't either so if I messed up he'd never be able to tell So I start poking around and this looks pretty decent for a beginner but still good to chase whitetails: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...E37NT73B&psc=1

That a good choice? If so, I guess need to get arrows, and then some field and broad arrowheads and a release. What else? I don't want him to have to go out and spend $200 to get whatever accessories are needed to go along with it. But I really have no idea. We have a couple shops around here, but he lives 8 hrs away. So not like I can take him there & get him set up. Plus not knowing anything, I hate to walk in and be at their mercy. "I want to buy a bow and some stuff to go with it for someone else but have no idea what to get" Don't want to get "sold" some overly expensive thing or stuff for a seasoned bow hunter that wouldn't be appropriate for a beginner. But he is an avid hunter and it will get used - a lot. So I guess what i want is something not crazy expensive (saw a lot in the $1200+ range), not overly complex or needing a very experienced person, but still capable of taking a typical TN whitetail.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.<br /><br />-- Benjamin Franklin

BOWS Are like girlfriends or women

They all shoot arrows but one doesn't necessarily work for another.

What is his draw length, what is the intended game, right or left handed, there are about a billion options for sights and sight pins styles. How strong is he, Compounds have a great let off weight once you get them into the cams but you have to be able to get it there and then that gets back to draw length. What kind of weight draw pull can he comfortably handle?

What you think may be a great bow, because it fits you may not fit him at all.

It may be a PIA to get together at some shop where they actually know about them but I would rather chance buying a wife on line before I would buy a bow online if you don't know anything about them. Whatever you spend on it, it may wind up just sitting unused in a closet because it doesn't work FOR HIM.

COMPOUND Bows require a certain amount of fitting to the individual shooter to get the most out of them.

Sorry about that.
    AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
    God carries a 1911.
    Just another day towards 20...

Comment

Talk about compounding the problem.

RR
      Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

Comment

I thought a bow like that you adjusted the weight and pull length to fit the individual? Not that simple huh?
        They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.<br /><br />-- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Does he live near a Bass Pro/Cabela's? Asking around his work/school can turn up a good local shop as well, where he can go to get info and measured, then all you have to do is get a gift card.
          SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
          MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
          ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛAΒE!

Comment

All I know.......is two Guys walked into a Sporting good's/gas station in a Town near me.......and outfitted themselves with a couple of top notch crossbows........

Walked right on out the door with them........

NOT sure where all these CCW permits are? But if they don't pose a threat to anyone.......it is ALL free for the taking!

https://wtaq.com/news/articles/2019/...-theft/952982/
            And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

Originally posted by Led View Post
              All I know.......is two Guys walked into a Sporting good's/gas station in a Town near me.......and outfitted themselves with a couple of top notch crossbows........

Walked right on out the door with them........

NOT sure where all these CCW permits are? But if they don't pose a threat to anyone.......it is ALL free for the taking!

https://wtaq.com/news/articles/2019/...-theft/952982/
              RAVEN crossbows..
              Some SERIOUS and very EXPENSIVE pieces of equipment.

Ravens will group about 4" at 100yds if you know how to use one. I would get one but toooooo much $$$$$$
              AT one time I did... unbelievable things for this country without question, because it was my country and right. NOW, my country, that country, no longer exists and I now I feel I am the Philip Nolan of my age.
              God carries a 1911.

Comment

i second what lawcop said compound bows require custom fitting to work properly you need a good bow shop preferably one with a range so he can try it out before leaving make sure its going to work for him.

Comment

Are they actual Crossbows or Compound Bows? The second one you can hunt with. MySelfReliance.com/youtube hunts with bow and a 20G. He's 80 miles west of Ontario. He fishes too. He gets some real nice fish up there. Big ones too. Shawn James can put Betty Crocker to SHAME in a kitchen or outside with cast iron.

Crossbows have ALWAYS been illegal everywhere I've always been to. cant hunt with them. Wouldn't want to have to defend myself using a crossbow. I think I'd get fried.
                  [B]Grumpy Old Fart [/B][IMG]http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/core/images/smilies/graemlins/050.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by noname762 View Post
                    Are they actual Crossbows or Compound Bows? The second one you can hunt with. MySelfReliance.com/youtube hunts with bow and a 20G. He's 80 miles west of Ontario. He fishes too. He gets some real nice fish up there. Big ones too. Shawn James can put Betty Crocker to SHAME in a kitchen or outside with cast iron.

Crossbows have ALWAYS been illegal everywhere I've always been to. cant hunt with them. Wouldn't want to have to defend myself using a crossbow. I think I'd get fried.
                    IN MICHIGAN, if you are old, have health issues that preclude a regular bow, or other such, crossbows are legal to use.
                    God carries a 1911.

Comment

Crossbow legality for hunting varies from state to state. In Missouri for example they are legal if used during firearm hunting season, but not in Bow season.
                      "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
                      [URL]http://survivalblog.com[/URL]
                      MOLON LABE!
                      AC0XV

Comment

Likely I'm the youngest cat here but even so I'm 67. Arthritis in both legs. Last time I went hunting was 1977.

I did not appeal to me.
                        [B]Grumpy Old Fart [/B][IMG]http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/core/images/smilies/graemlins/050.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                        X