No announcement yet.

Oak Ridge uranium plant shut after protesters breach 4 fences, reach building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak Ridge uranium plant shut after protesters breach 4 fences, reach building

The security at the nuclear plant at Oakridge Tenn. was breached by protesters.
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...-building?lite

The U.S. government's only facility for handling, processing and storing weapons-grade uranium has been temporarily shut after anti-nuclear activists, including an 82-year-old nun, breached security fences, government officials said on Thursday.
    WSI Oak Ridge, the contractor responsible for protecting the facility at Oak Ridge, Tenn., is owned by the international security firm G4S, which was at the center of a dispute over security at the London Olympic Games.
    Officials said the facility was shut down on Wednesday at least until next week after three activists cut through perimeter fences to reach the outer wall of a building where highly enriched uranium, a key nuclear bomb component, is stored.
    Mike

“We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities.”

Re: Oak Ridge uranium plant shut after protesters breach 4 fences, reach building

I'd be willing to bet that nun is one of the crazies that tried (along with a preacher and another nun) to get into one of our Launch Facilities back in the eighties during a protest.

These three were caught by an ART team swinging sledge hammers on a 110 ton steel and concrete launcher closure door.

Major FAIL! [img][/img]
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Re: Oak Ridge uranium plant shut after protesters breach 4 fences, reach building

Whatever happened to deadly force authorized beyond this point?

Comment

Originally posted by Lasergunner View Post
        Just wondering the same thing.

Comment

If they gunned them all down it would turn into another Kent State. And they fear such an outcome.
          Earth First - We'll stripmine the rest of the galaxy later!

Comment

Well ya just don't gun down some old people defacing a building. the security people at least used some common sense when arresting them. They cut the fense then made a 2 hour walk to the building. Now that was slow response time for even the fed security people
            Peter 5:8
            "Be sober, be vigilant; Because your adversary the Devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking who he may devour."

Comment

Originally posted by Black Pete View Post
              Well ya just don't gun down some old people defacing a building. the security people at least used some common sense when arresting them. They cut the fense then made a 2 hour walk to the building. Now that was slow response time for even the fed security people
              Clearly, the security force that is in place now is not up to the job of protecting and defending a critical national security site. If not military, their Federal employment should be terminated immediately! If the security force is military then they should all be brought up on charges preperatory to a review for Dishonorable Discharge! It is not about playing with or tolerating activists. It is about keeping nuclear materials out of the hands of terrorist who may then imperil millions of American Citizens with those same nuclear materials. Between the fence and the building there should have been three chalk outlines to inform everone else that deadly force means exactly what it says.

Comment

One afternoon on a man made mountaintop in the New Mexico desert, I was standing post at the guardhouse entry point to a very top secret weapons test facility. Sunday afternoon, things are very quiet.
                An AF pickup with three guys in it wearing white coveralls buzzes past my house, smiling and waving. They then drove into the site and backed up to one of the rollup doors. I hit the mic button and declare that I am under duress, grab my shotgun and proceed into the site.I can hear sirens lighting up all over the base and saw my zone patrol truck hauling ass across the desert towards me so I went hunting. When I found them they had the door open, THE door, the one the weapon rolled out through to acess the test range, and were loading up wooden boxes into their truck. I told them to halt and come down out of there, they said "It's ok, we've got our passes", told them again and pointed the shotgun at them, then my zone truck showed up and moved in on them. About this time they got the picture and laid down to be searched and cuffed.
                Got a very upset Lt. Colonel away from his Sunday dinner to come voutch for them. He called a crew in to put away the boxes and secure everything.
                I got a ride down to the Flight chiefs office to sign for my Letter of Reprimand for not shooting them. He said I had several oppurtunities to employ justified deadly force, and did not act appropriately.

Now that that phase of the project has been closed, and Jimmy Carter told the world about it when he was running for re-election I can tell you that it was the laser used in the Airborne Weapons Lab at Kirtland AFB
                and my Flight Chief was right, but I couldnt shoot guys that I knew worked there. If it happened again it would be a tough call, but I think it would have gone bad for them.
                Last edited by 1911cc; August 4th, 2012, 21:57. Reason: speelin'

Comment

Hum..no bouncing bettys or claymores?
                  If it had been marines of my day guarding that base, those "peaceful" protesters would have been in bodybags or the guards would have been in Portsmouth.

karl
                  Last edited by kARL; August 5th, 2012, 09:15.
                  Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

Exactly what I was going to ask. They should have been gunned down. Or at least have had to deal with ornery attack dogs set on them.

See how eager they are to infiltrate a nuclear facility (or anything other than a Starbucks) after that scene.

And let it be known that all hippies will be shot on sight from now on.
                    Media vita in morte sumus

Comment

The way the table is set it is easy to fall into "Oh look, there is something shiny! Look there." Throughought the 1980's it was understood that the Activist/Left could be used as a diversion for a SPETZNATS mission against a strategic or critical asset. The Left in this country worked and continues to work hand in glove with the military interests of communist adversary countries, like Russia.

In a situation like the one that is being discussed, it cannot be discounted that foreign-enemy military may be embedded amongst the activist at some level and be positioned or positioning to exploit a vunerability. That is why every penetration of an area designated Protected by Deadly Force must be regarded as an attack until said penetration is repulsed or defeated.

As 19911c points out, there is a little latitude; but not much.

A failure of security can literaly translate into the deaths of millions of Amercans.

Comment

Old hippies still at it...

...never underestimate the stupid, and never, never, underestimate the power of experienced stupidity.

Comment

Working...
                        X