Blocking Absorption of Radioactive Salts by Bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking Absorption of Radioactive Salts by Bones

The first part of this 2-part post consists of recommendations learned from the Chernobyl accident in Russia. The 2nd part offers a more concise statement (mine, I am soley responsible for it) and recommended doses of calcium for differing ages under normal times.

RR
    ---------------------------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Date: Sat, 01 Mar 1997 12:22:45 +0100
    Subject: Re: OEM: EXPATS TO UKRAINE/BYELORUS & RADIATION MONITORING

With the below data, I think you must be performed to WHOLE-BODY RADIATION
    MONITORING. Alone as a preventive measure.

The Chernobyl incident demonstrated the early inclusion of isotopes into the food chain; increased radiation levels were found almost immediately in leafy greens growing in contaminated fields and in cows' milk. Rain
    becomes radioactive. Cisterns collecting rain for drinking water are immediately suspect. Soils contaminated by radioactive fallout produce crops with increased radioactivity for years to come.

On March/96 5.000 tons of radiactive milk were detected In Barcelona (Spain) from Central Europe.

Animals grazing on contaminated fields will concentrate isotopes, like strontium-90, in their tissues, and will pass the isotopes on to the carnivore who eats them. Plutonium, with a half-life of 24,000 years, is the most dangerous isotope produced in nuclear reactors.

Radioactive iodine, I 131, competes with dietary supplies of normal iodine, and may be concentrated and stored in the thyroid gland. I 131 has a short half-life of 8 days and poses only an immediate danger to those
    directly exposed to radioactive fallout. Concentration and storage of the isotope in the thyroid increases the risk of cell mutation, and the subsequent emergence of cancer. Immediate impairment of thyroid function may also occur. Supplements of iodine reduce the opportunity for the
    radioactive isotope to be taken up. Doses as high as 100 mg of potassium iodide for 7-10 days have been recommended for those directly exposed to radioactive fallout. This is a toxic dose of iodide under normal circumstances and should not be taken unless there is real danger.

The principle of nutrient supplementation to compete with uptake of radioactive isotopes is usually not considered as an indication for nutrient supplementation, and it maybe an important consideration for all of us. Strontium-90 has accumulated in the food chain from weapon testing and is concentrated in animal and fish bones. The slow accumulation of this isotope, with a half-life of 20 years, can be expected to increase the mutation rate in bone and bone marrow, increasing the incidence of bone cancer and leukemia. Calcium supplements may compete with strontium-90 and reduce its storage. Radioactive calcium-45 is also
    produced by fission; with a half-life of 164 days; it is a shorter term concern but is another condition for full calcium supplementation in populations exposed to radioactive contamination. Cesium-137, with a
    half-life of 33 years, is also a concern; it is distributed throughout the body, taking the place of potassium. Radioactive carbon, with a half life of 5700 years, is distributed throughout the living world, and offers no opportunity for competitive defense.

Antioxidants offer meager protection against radioactive damage. The principle mechanism of cellular damage is ionization, the production of charged free radicals which behave abnormally in molecular transactions.
    The effects of ionization are most pronounced when the delicate mechanisms of DNA replication and repair are damaged. The result is cellular dysfunction and mutation of the genetic program.

A complete antioxidant formula offers meager protection and might include vitamin C up to 5000 mg per day in divided doses, vitamin E 400-1200 IU, selenium 200 ug, cystine 250mg and vitamin B6 50 mg per day. The following
    minerals should be supplemented, at least to RDA - calcium 800-1000 mg, magnesium 300-500 mg, zinc 10-30 mg, chromium 200 mcg, molybdenum 100 mcg, and iodine 100- 200 mcg per day.

The dose of iodine should be calculated to body size and need, since overdose is toxic. Pregnant women may require a carefully calculated increase in iodine. We are assuming that the sources of mineral
    supplements are relatively uncontaminated with radioactive isotopes. Calcium obtained from animal bones or oyster shells will contain environmental contaminants, including isotopes, but calcium obtained from limestone (dolomite) will not be contaminated by recent radioactive fallout.

Francisco L. Rueda, MD http://www.arrakis.es/~loruda[/quote]

------------------
    Got sutures? http://medtech.syrene.net/
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

Calcium Blocking

Strontium 90 settles in the bones and makes the recipient susceptible to bone cancer, especially children. One very real source is from milk from grazed cattle for a year or so. Exact figures aren't available to me right now.

By increasing calcium uptake to at least the US RDA every single day you inhibit the amount of radioactive material you can uptake into the bone. Body will take the first available source, so make it a safe source, just like saturating the thyroid with iodine.

Quick cheap sources would be common calcium-based antacid tabs. Tablets
    such as Citri-Cal (brand name) that combine Vitamin C with calcium increase absorption over plain calcium. Using the table below you can figure your minimum daily intake. I would increase that 25-50% for the first 2-3 days
    just to ensure saturation and then maintain it as illustrated. Nice thing about radiation blockers the common stuff is terribly cheap and easy to locate. Most calcium-based antacids contain 200 mg calcium per tablet, are flavored and would be readily consumed by kids as well as adults.

Calcium Daily Reference Intake per Christine Wood. M.D.

Age *AI (mg/day)

0 to 6 months 210

6 to 12 months 270

1 to 3 years 500

4 to 8 years 800

9 to 18 years 1,300

19 to 50 years 1,000

51+ years 1,200

RR

------------------
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Do note that you MUST have Vit. D to absorb significant amounts of calcium. Without it it just doesn't get taken up. You make Vit. D by exposure to sunlight, an hour or two a day, or you can supplement it either in combo with the calcium, or as an extra pill. You need about 400 units (10 mcg) daily, kids or adults.

Comment

Thanks for the tip sir. I have a copy of An Intro to Radiation Protection, and it makes no reference to blocking agents of any sort, just physical barriers and phsysiological monitoring. Seems to be an area that is poorly addressed. Good to know that we can increase the absorption by a simple supplement also.

If someone were the enterprising type they'd come up with a definitive combination supplement containing Potassium Iodate, Calcium, Vit's C and D and probably E and various antioxidants and minerals. One pill vs. a slew, better received by children. Never know, that's how the KIO3 pills came about, better reception than Iodide by kids.

Chelation (key-lay-shun) therapy is useful for industrial accidents but is outside our realm of treatment. Rather than blocking it is a process of introducing certain agents intraveneously that bind with the radioactive agents introduced into the body so that they can be flushed out faster and more readily. I honestly have no idea as to the extent of the benefits of this, save to say if someone requires it they have already taken a serious exposure.

RR

------------------

Comment

Threads like this make the cost of internet service worth it.

Hey RR, could you compile a list of ALL minerals and supplements to take for block absorbtion by other systems?

I know potassium iodide protects the thyroid, but what else is there?

Comment

That is actually on my list of projects for the (hopefully) near future. Info hard to come by so far. Like I mentioned re: the book, it just isn't addressed in any depth. Shall see what I can come up with that is substantiable.

RR

------------------

Comment

So far it appears that common elements that may block uptake of radioactive salts and metals are soley those referenced in the posts above.

There are many potential radioactive metals that can be absorbed by the body, such as copper, iron, zinc, gold and others. The presense of these in a nuclear material release - such as a bomb detonation - is going to depend heavily on the location, whether the detonation was air or ground burst, and whether over an industrialized where such materials would be caught up in the fallout uptake.

A civilian release, such as Chernobyl, actually may offer significantly more in the way of heavy metals for release vis' a vis the very construction materials used in the containment building, etc. Nickel, borate in the concrete, cadmium, lead and others.

Whereas the bomb may be limited to the elements of the casing in the case of an air burst an industrial accident/release/explosion is going to have all the elements of the containment vessel iself, in the case of reactors of such design, and the containment building, which exists whether or not the reactor is of the open type or not.

The following minerals should be supplemented, at least to RDA, as a way of limiting uptake as much as possible of radioactive metals and salts:

Calcium 800-1000 mg
              Magnesium 300-500 mg
              Zinc 10-30 mg
              Chromium 200 mcg
              Molybdenum 100 mcg
              Iodine 100- 200 mcg per day (normally in the form of potassium iodide or iodate)

In addition there seems to be some concensus in the sparse literature available on the subject that increased intake of natural anti-oxidants such as Vits. C and E is also beneficial.

The only treatments for post-exposure therapy I can find seem to revolve around:

- Chelation therapy for expediting the expulsion of absorbed, ingested or inhaled heavy metals from the body

- Use of laxatives, purgatives and diuretics to empty the bowels quicker - several of the heavy metals concentrate there rather than being absorbed, thus exposing the bowels, which happen to be amongst the most sensative part of the body to ionizing radiation, to increased doses of beta radiation

- Increased fluid intake to flush cesium in particular from the body

Aside from those all other treatments I have been able to find thus far are supportive rather than directly addressing the underlying cause. It is akin to attacking a virus; there is no cure for a viral infection so all we can do is offer supportive therapy and treat other infections of opportunity and allow the body to muster its own defenses to treat the virus. In the case of radiation exposure we attempt to lessen the exposure, and support the body while it struggles to recuperate from the damage suffered.

There is a book coming out in June of this year from the Harvard Press that may offer some new light on the issue.

RADIATION PROTECTION: A Guide for Scientists, Regulators, and Physicians, Fourth Edition
              by JACOB SHAPIRO

Info can be found at:
              http://www.hup.harvard.edu/contents/SHARA4_toc.html

RR

------------------

Comment

Thanks RR!

Since there appears to be some rumored possibility that there may be tango nukes in America, this is paramount to have on hand.

Looks like I'll be hitting the drug store, or internet supply, and stocking up..

Comment

It seems that, according to news reports lately, that rumors of possible tango nukes (actually dirty bombs or atomic demolition devices rather than true nukes over a few kilotons) inside the US are more than just rumor. Time to review the info, folks, print it off and act on it.

RR

------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X