BLOWOUT PATCHES & FEILD KITS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLOWOUT PATCHES & FEILD KITS

Question: What exactly comprises a blowout patch, and where would one find compresses and/or dressings in a more subdued color than white for field kits?
    Like most, I have put together pretty good first aid kits, rather extensive, from local pharmacy sources, but bandages and tapes almost inverably come in "bright" white. Thankyou all in advance!!!!!!!!

------------------
    FLASWAMPRATT

"ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE"

Get some of the GI stuff.Trau-Medic is the name of the field dressings.I have seen them in the surplus stores for a couple bucks each.

Or you could just use the civy stuff and cover it up with a camo bandana.

BTW:I like your name!

------------------
    A thousand shall fall at thy right side,and ten thousand at thy right hand;but it shall not come nigh thee.
    Psalm 91

Comment

A "blowout" kit, at it's most basic, is intended to provide an immediately available dressing set to control major bleeding. Thus, a trauma dressing, 4" Kerlix packed into the wound + Coban wrap (my favorite), or wad of 4x4's and ACE wrap would serve.

The ability to seal a sucking chest wound is helpful, so a plastic wrapper from the trauma dressing + tape, or Vaseline gauze, or Asherman chest seal can be added.

A tourniquet or triangular bandage should be included.

I believe that airway control should be included, as these problems require immediate action. A single nasal airway, scalpel for crics, and large bore IV needle 10 - 14 gauge for thoracic decompression are easily included and require little space.

I recommend that all team members be equipped with an immediate action kit, carried in the same place at all times. If you are treating a team member you use their kit, not yours.

This is what we use:
      4x4 Kerlix and Coban
      Asherman chest seal
      Triangular bandage
      Nasal airway
      Scalpel
      10 gauge needle
      Gloves

This can be vacuum packed into quite a small unit that fits easily in a vest or BDU pocket. We poke a small hole in the Kerlix package to get the air out. While not sterile anymore, it's clean and the wound will never know the difference.

Military trauma bandages often have OD colored outer wraps, but don't worry about it. If you are patching GSW's in the field a 4x4 patch of white is the least of your problems. Anyway, it wont stay white for long. Either blood will dull it down or it will end up covered with mud in no time.

Hope this helps,

Keith

Comment

Hey RESQDOC, I would like to pick your brain real quick.

Have you ever used a Asherman Chest Seal?
        I was wondering if a lung could be reinflated in the field using one?

I am a Fire/Rescue EMT,and we carry them on our ALS rigs,and I carry them in my personal and team gear.But I have never seen one used to reinflate a lung.They say you just add suction and there you have it.

TIA

------------------
        A thousand shall fall at thy right side,and ten thousand at thy right hand;but it shall not come nigh thee.
        Psalm 91

Comment

I thankyou both for your help and effort. I'll upgrade my equiptment immediately.

------------------
          FLASWAMPRATT

"ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE"

Comment

RESQDOC,
            Great info, thank you.

I was looking for supplies at this site:
            http://www.firstrespondersupplies.com/

There were several sizes of nasal airway listed. What size do you pack in the field kits?

mib2000

Comment

Glad the info was of interest.

Yes, an Asherman can be hooked up to suction for a temporary set up. Run the suction tube through the flutter valve to the level of the disk, but NOT into the wound, and tape tightly around the flutter valve to seal. Then tape the tube to the chest to take strain off of the set up. Sticky disk has to seal well. Does not always work, as tissue or clots can clog, and does not work with hemothorax, but can aid in re-expansion of a pneumothorax. Not a substitute for a proper chest tube, just a temporary time buyer.

For nasal airways a 7.0 or 7.5 will go in almost any adults nostril, and is small enough for an adult cric as well.

Take care,

Keith

Comment

Thanks Doc!

For you guys looking for a ready made kit,check out Dixie EMS Supply.They sell the US Treasury First Responder Trauma kit.This is what the atf goons carry.It looks like a well put together kit.It is a custom made kit thats set up for frist responder level care of a GSW.It sells for $59.99. http://www.dixieems.com

------------------
                Psalm 91

Comment

I don't what it is about Dixie but either I get a message saying the domain name is for sale or the site is under construction. Haven't done business with them for a while but they do carry some unusual items, or did.

As far as the nasal airways they are also measured in "French." 24 French, 26 French, etc ad nauseum. The gamit runs between 20 - 36 French. By way of example a 20 French is equivalent to a 4.5 mm diameter. It's been a while so I may be a mite off on that. All of mine are labeled that way, however. It's an older system unique to suction catheters and nasal airways.

RR

------------------
                  Got band-aids? http://medtech.syrene.net/
                  Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

Comment

Hey RR,
                    I dont know what is up with Dixie's web site.But I just got their new catalog in the mail.Their phone number is 1-800-347-3494.The catalog is free.
                    BTW:I think its funny that they have the name Dixie EMS,and they are from Brooklyn,NY. LOL

------------------
                    Psalm 91

Comment

One thing we used as lowly Army medics for a pneumothorax were the Heimlich valves, small plastic flutter valves that we would slide into the end of the chest tube trocar. They worked very well, considering us Infantry medic types couldn't carry pleuravacs, or have access to suction in the boonies.

Steve

------------------
                      "Make your enemies by choice . . . not by accident" - Alfred Bester

Comment

Where in Brooklyn are they? I live in Queens, and am training to be an EMT. TIA.
                        -bill

Comment

Dixie EMS,USA
                          385 Union Ave.
                          Brooklyn,NY 11211
                          1-800-347-3494

------------------
                          Psalm 91

Comment

Boot

------------------
                            Got sutures? http://medtech.syrene.net/
                            Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

Comment

Working...
                            X