Clear All

Guest replied
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Resurrected...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    That's a bummer. When you get set back up again you might check out Roxio GoBack.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    my 'puter was hit by something that crashed it , from a nasty chat site one of my moron kids was at . it will have to be scrubbed and windows re-installed :mad: EVERYTHING in my files cannot be saved or even printed out ...

may as well archive whats here , dont know exactly how long 'till i'm back on-line but the testing continues .

Leave a comment:

• mike1
    replied
    Hokily dokily.

I'll wait a couple of days until you request it archived, bud.

Mike

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    if anyone thinks its worth saving , sure .

i have 1 or 2 more comparitive tests to do and the test particulars will be complete .

Leave a comment:

• mike1
    replied

I can archive this info if needed. It's no problem.

Mike

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    mild steel core update

or should i say , sintered iron core . it dont matter 'cuz they act the same . from that 70s' Romanian 7.9mm mauser load that comes in cans for cheap . 155grn FMJ-BT sinterediron core bullet only slightly shorter than standard 198grn sS FMJ-BT LCB .
    if you've seen Lollygagers pics of 'fish plate' hits with 762x39 'PS' , scale that up by 1.5 to 1.75 for the Romanian 7.9mm load . better have your helmet and bodyarmor on too ... what appered to be a 1/2 length core , shaped like a trumpet , bounced off my 1.5" thick 'bridge pad' @25M , back through 1/2" plywood like nothing , on its way to the moon ...

@50M fired at the 3.17mm sheet steel baffle with 1.5" between the sheets - SLIGHTLY better performance than HXP303 and 762x51 M80 'PINDAD' , both leadcore-copper-jacket ball , that is , penetrated 3 sheets too dent the 4th , the Romanian with a deeper dent . deeper by 1/3rd , not all that much . recovered cores looked just like the 762x39'PS' cores from the same test , scaled up some . none of the other LCB 8mm loads dented the 4th sheet although they knocked a hole in the 3rd -- a HUGE HOLE . dents were equivalent to that of 12GA Foster slug @25ft.
    penetration wise , not counting the enormous dents , the 762x39'PS' did as well from 20.5" barrels (2411fps)

@400M , this is where the differences are .

762x39 'PS' (2311fps) , the 303 (2460fps) and 2 8mm mauser loads- 198grn copperjacket YUGO (2378fps) and the powerfull platedsteel jacket 196grn S&B load (2535fps) ,,, all these penetrate 1 sheet @400M and hit the second with ALMOST enough . the huge dents by the 8mm s', the cracked dents from the 303 (but no penetration) , the tiny (in comparison) but deep welted dent from the AK round that shows yield in the steel .

the Romanian round (about 2470fps AVE.) handily penetrated 2 sheets , sometimes leaving the jacket stuck in sheet 2 , to dent the 3rd . these proving to be about 60/70% of what the sheet could take before penetration . a little heavier bullet (Greek M38 7.9mm steelcore) a little faster and/or smaller diameter ( 762x54r 148grn PS) and penetrating 3 sheets @400M is a done deal .

all the recoverd cores were just like those recoverd from the 762x39 , just scaled up some . if anything the Romanian cores are softer than Chinese cores and swell up/flatten out more .

SO , mildsteel core ammo has the definate advantage (over leadcore ball) through sheetsteel at longer ranges and though cinderblock at any range .

at closer ranges , not so much a penetration advatage in sheetsteel but , since the core remains mostly intact , a better fragmented bullet chunk to hit the BG with .

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by FirstShirt:

One thing in question? Perhaps you can also remove the doubt from this one.
    AK, Wolf 7.62X39 122grn. I read where this is the only grain that can be used with this barrel.
    True or False.
    false . plenty of twistrate to go around for heavy bullets . its just that the trajectory wont match the rearsite at longer ranges . only a couple inches diff for closer ranges .

Originally posted by FirstShirt:

I would like to use a heavy grain, but don't want a round stuck in my barrel if it's thicker.
    Is it safe using a 154grn in an AK 762x39?

the heavy bullets they load in 762x39 are all about .309" to .312" diameter . no trouble with sticking a bullet in the barrel there . ? . the only time i've heard of that is with a SQUIB that farts a bullet stuck into your barrel (poof instead of BANG) . if you would just chamber another round and fire it -- KA-BOOM !
    or - someone messing with modifying factory bullets in such a way that the core shoots out of the bullet , leaving the jacket stuck in the barrel -- next shot rifle goes KA-BOOM !

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Excellent Yoda,

One thing in question? Perhaps you can also remove the doubt from this one.
    AK, Wolf 7.62X39 122grn. I read where this is the only grain that can be used with this barrel.
    True or False.
    I would like to use a heavy grain, but don't want a round stuck in my barrel if it's thicker.
    Is it safe using a 154grn in an AK 762x39?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    forgot to mention ,

when the 556x45 M193s were shot at a freestanding sheet at 400/425M , the bullet remains were simply scatterd about behind on the backstop and picked up off the ground . not so with the BHs 68grn match bullet - whatever was left of them hit the backstop hard generating a cloud of dust , burried .

from the 50M shots its apparent that there is a piece of jacket-boat-tail with maybe some lead in it remaining after first impact , unlike the openbase 55grn FMJ .

that BT piece is what accounts for the slight but sharpedged .25" depression in the 3rd sheet @50M .

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yoda-Dad,

Great information, I will have to archive it for future reference.

The Azalin

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks for all the info. you have provided, I will be another one who has taken notes from your notes.... -THS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    nope , not yet .

none available at the local stores and the last show i went too , two vendors had individual boxes of russian 762x39 150grnish SPs (the rest only in 500/1000 round lots). one guy wanted $7.95 per box ! the other guy , an old buddy of mine , had some at a more reasonable $2.50 a box each . when i went back to his table THE GUY IN LINE IN FRONT OF ME SCARFT THEM ALL :mad:

had great and wonderous fortune with other things though its just a matter of time . i'll test some eventully .

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yoda - curious if you have tried the 154 grain 7.62 x 39 from Wolf? ...and the performance of such if you have??? TIA -THS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X