Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(H,F,G,&R) What heretical teachings or beliefs have you seen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (H,F,G,&R) What heretical teachings or beliefs have you seen?

Heresy is all around, but I am interested to see what the most commonly held heresies are. So what heretical beliefs or teachings do you encounter the most?

topic change for archive by strmrdr

[ July 18, 2004, 00:05: Message edited by: strmrdr ]

Okay, this thread could be very educational or very insulting and hurtful.
    So some ground rules.
    Above all keep this civil and polite, we ar famly here.
    Keep it to a clear presentation of your OPINION and note it as such.
    DO NOT personalize this. If someone believes something you think is heresy don't point at it like "Well, what Jim believes is pure blasphemy!" On the other hand if you find your belief listed a such don't jump down the persons throat, you will not convince them that way.

This does not mean you cannot have differing views nor that you cannot debate them. In fact his is encouraged.
    Just play nice and show others the respect you would like to receive from them.
    Thank you.
    "I was talking to the man upstairs, saying 'God, please keep us safe,' and putting some rounds downrange...." --Staff Sgt. Bruce Jones

WWW.CALGUNS.NET

Comment

Homosexuality in the 'church' is something that instantly comes to mind.

Comment

Grace as license to sin comes second...

Comment

Well, some churches (propably all main churches) consider those that get second babtisms heretics, and I've met such people. On the other hand some would consider catholics in general heretics, like many of those that get babtised again that I've met, and I'm sure I too would be considered a heretic of sorts by some of the more strict lutherans for example...It's all semantics and theology, I for one don't scrutinize the belief systems of others, even though I do have a some criteria by which I will deside wheather I think a person might or might not be a christian, but even then I don't make any permanent or certain desicions as to where they'll end up, knowing that there will be many people in heaven that you would not have thought to meet there, and some 'obvious' may not be found. Plus I think that some people themselves might be suprised when they get to walk thru the pearly gates.

Respect, m92s
          "Not all of them are terrorists"..."No, not all of them, but most of them are, and all it takes is most of them." -Eric Cartman

Comment

Originally posted by Kestryll:

Okay, this thread could be very educational or very insulting and hurtful.

The above quote from Kestryll (or is that Kestry II? --if I goofed it please accept apologies in advance) is a thoughtful and worthy guide, for as one who desires to be a good Christian someday, I understand that it is important that we reason together as the Word enjoins us to do in loving kindness. The LAST thing I want to do is to offend anyone here, and yet, sometime I have found it hard to address these topics without doing so. The problem I think is that many of these things are so ingrained in our social consciousness. I know I had a hard time with it all when I first encountered it.

We have all met, or heard of someone of whom it is said 'He has strange beliefs'. A warning in advance my own personal beliefs are perhaps in many ways the strangest that those of what might be called more 'mainstream' Christianity have ever encountered. That said I think it fair (and necessary) to explain a bit about my own background as the 'hows' and 'whys' of how I came to believe in these things are way too involved for a post here.

First of all, I started life like many of you. I was raised up in a 'normal', or 'mainstream' church (Methodist as a matter of fact). Yet I visited many other congregations with friends of mine (also my father's family were Church of Christ). For a variety of reasons I sort of fell away from 'mainstream' Christianity, noting such things as contradictions in doctrine, and challenges from the 'outside' world (ie. Darwin's Theories of Evolution, and the rising popularity of Occult religions --ie. Wicca-- that were promising this so-called 'New Age'). After awhile I became dissatisfied with all of this even and by the late-1980s I would have described myself as a borderline atheist.

In 1989, God decided to intoduce Himself into my life (Thank God!). I had an epiphany. It was nothing dramatic, no the heavens did not open up, nor did I hear a loud booming voice. It was a quiet peaceful early spring day, warm and pleasant, and at the time I did not have a care in the world. My epiphany came rather simply as a bit of news, delivered by no angel, but by a long time friend--> the discovery of Eve through mitochondrial DNA.

Also around this time I began to make acquaintances with Christians who did not believe exactly the same as the 'mainstream'. For me all the 'loose ends', and questions that I had long carried were resolved. Now the question on this topic concerns 'heresy'. Well I'm not so sure if what I am talking about here warrants such strong language, and I might humbly offer instead that there may be 'errant teachings' that Christians ought to consider. Here are some of the things I have learned, and accepted. As such, I must inform that these represent MY OWN OPINIONS, and do NOT necessarily reflect those of AssaultWeb, any Moderator or poster to these forums.

1). I believe that in the beginning GOD CREATED the heavens and the earth. I am a solid Creationist, and reject Darwin's theories of evolution not only on religious grounds, but scientific as well.

2). I believe in what some call 'Anglo-Israelism'. How could God miss the rise of the British and American Empires? Fact is He did'nt, He just knows us by a different name (the House of Israel). This also reconciles much of historical mysteries, and 'By the Grace of God' refutes any notions of 'racial supremacy' being 'inherent' in the British or European peoples.

3). God has His Sabbaths; These are first and foremost the Sabbath Day, which is Saturday, not Sunday, as well as a whole slew of holidays....

4). None of which are;
            Christmas-- Actually a holiday based on the Ancient Babylonian Weeping for Tammuz, a pagan ritual. nor,
            Easter-- Actually another ancient pagan rite associated with the worship of Ishtar, a.k.a. Ashtarte, a.k.a. Isis, Diana, ect. (possibly derived from Semiramis the wife of Nimrod, and mother of Tammuz).

5). I believe that there is far more at play in these 'UFO sightings/abductions'. Indeed I suspect demonic influences here. Mankind has seen this before, in the days of Noah, just prior to the Great Flood (read Gen. 6) Which leads on to...

6). I believe that the Ancient texts of the Sumerians, Egyptians, and to a great extent the Greeks (which had by the time of thier writing been clouded over by time, and thus rendered as the mythologies we are more familiar with) do reflect the common knowledge of mankind from the point of Noah to Nimrod--> This is why there are so many similarities in belief systems throughout the world-- at one point in time all people knew, but the truth, was clouded over through time and the interpretations of priesthoods.

This pretty mcuh sums it up in a nutshell, so to speak. I hope and pray that I have kept this post to the educational and informative, and have kept well away from the hurtful and insulting. If I have slipped up from time to time in my post I beg your forgivance.

Best regards,

Absolom_Absolom

Comment

Lemme further clarify what I mean by a heresy:

I am not speaking necessarily of denominational differences per se. I am talking about beliefs or practices that are diametrically opposed by the text of the Bible itself...

Comment

Well, as a Catholic, we consider the whole protestant reformation heresy and any sect or cult that has come up independently (such as Mormonism, Jehova's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists etc.).

Also (not trying to rag on you personally Absolom), but movements like Anglo-Israelism are considered heresy as well. I pretty much consider anything non-Roman Catholic as heresy, apostacy, or problematic in some sense.

One that should be common to ALL honest Christian faiths is the confirmation of homosexual pastors and bishops. I really don't understand how they possibly think that that jives with Biblical teaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Andrei:

Also (not trying to rag on you personally Absolom), but movements like Anglo-Israelism are considered heresy as well.

Understood, and no offense taken brother. Most Protestants think my beliefs are pretty weird too.

Regards,

A_A

Comment

Other heresies I've seen:

That there are many paths to heaven.

That Jesus was just a teacher, just a prophet, just another religious man.

That the Bible is NOT the inerrant word of God, just a set of guidelines that we are at liberty to follow. (This from my sister-in-law, an almost Lutheran minister.)

That women are superior to men, and should not only compete with them, but contest with them, and speak ill of them. (A pet peeve of mine-I am really mad at the women's movement.)

That any type of free sex is good-including statements now about being specist (meaning, descriminating against a species). Hello, animal fornicators-just as Absolom says, it's getting like the times before Noah and the Flood. God does judge nations.

Relativism. Morals are relevant to the situation. Utter nonsense.

What throws me is how people adhering to any of these beliefs figure they are gonna avoid God's wrath and punishment for their behavior.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly,
                    Nor standeth in the way of sinners,
                    Nor sittethin the seat of the scornful. Psalm1:1

Comment

ABSOLOM:

I don't find your beliefs all that heretical... I nac agree with much of what you said.

Comment

How did I turn "can" into "nac" in my post?

Comment

Truth can become heresy...Let me explain:

TITUS 3:10"A man that is an heretic after the first and second admonition reject;"(KJV)

TITUS 3:10"Reject a factious man after a first and second warning."(NASV)

A heretic is someone who is factious,causes divisions.It can be over false teaching,it can also be on a point of truth.

One example I have witnessed:
                          Kneeling to pray is fine & scriptural. I have known people who pushed this point and refused to fellowship with those who knelt,stood or sat for prayer. That was being factious,heretical,pushing a point to far.

ROMANS 14 was written as a way for individuals to overcome this tendency.

Comment

ridgerunner58,

Thank you brother! Actually I was raised up in a 'normal' environment (Methodist on my Mom's side and Church of Christ on my Daddy's. Talk about a mix up!). Towards my early twenties, I began to grow skeptical of it all, and describe myself then as a 'border-line atheist'. As I may have stated, 1989 was the Year of my ephipany. The first was the discovery of Eve, genetically through mitochondrial DNA, and the next thing I discovered was Anglo-Israelism (through the World Wide Church of God).

Later on I discovered Creation Science, and for me all these tings serve to prove the Bible is a literal truth, not just some mumbo-jumbo that's to be taken solely in 'spiritual contexts'. I use these things to prove to others WHY I believe in the Bible and in Jesus Christ. From the Creation Scientists, I get a solid scientific background for arguing points on questions considering origins. Now there are generally two grades of Creationists; the Young Earth Creationist (YEC), and (what I call) Ancient Age Creationist (AAC). The YEC believe that the earth and universe is less than 10,000 years old. The AAC believe that the universe and earth could be older (although I do not know many who are adamant about it), possibly millions and billions of years old. Both however, believe that life as we know it did not exist on the earth until a fairly recent period (again, within that 10,000 year parameter). So I'm pretty open to actual time frames, the preponderance of all available evidence strongly suggests (well actually screams) "In the beginning GOD CREATED...".

Anglo-Israelism, for me explains much concerning history, and also prophecy. For example, the Bible has spoken of all the great kingdoms (to include the Roman Empire, and even predicting the rise of Alexander the Great). The Bible knows, and tells, of the kings of the East (ie. China). One of the things I could never figure out was HOW could the Bible have 'missed' the incredible rise and power and world influence of the British and American Empires. Fact is it did'nt. It speaks of it quite frequently actually, and predicts it all down to minute details. It turns out that the prophets simply used the name that the people carried at that time (ie. Israel) and even predicted that they would go by many different names in the (then) future, forgetting who they really were. I'm satisfied that that has exactly been the case.

Also my own understanding of history is much improved (history has always been one of my favourite subjects). History has its anomalies such as the strange relation between the 'Sycthians' the Ancient Greeks, and other peoples. Yet taking into consideration the migration patterns that the Ancient Israelites took after their dispersal from the Holy Land after the Assyrain invasion in the 700s BC, I now understand these 'strange historical anomalies' in a clearer light.

So overall it has benefitted me. It has helped me to better understand the Bible, and yes, the world I live in today. I know many people believe I am wrong to believe in Anglo-Israelism, and who knows on earth? They may be right, but the best evidence we have today supports it in my opinion. I am patient to wait upon the Lord, when He gets here I am sure He will tell us the whole story, and I am sure it will be an interesting one, even if what I have believed turns out to be wrong.

I am YOUR servant and compatriot,

A_A

GOD SAVE THE SOUTH! (AND YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS TOO!)
                            NO KING BUT JESUS!
                            NO WORLD ORDER BUT THE KINGDOM OF GOD!
                            DEO VINDICE!

Comment

ABSOLOM:

You are so correct about in your answer on why our nation was not mentioned in the Bible,it is but under the prophecies relating to Israel.
                              Understanding this helps unravel many Bible mysteries.

I believe the earth could be millions or billions of year old while Adam was created only about 6,000 years ago...but I do believe the Bible teaches that pre-Adamic people existed and do exist.

I am of Methodist/Catholic background,came to despise both of them & rejected religion for many years.In 1970 I became a Christian & have been meeting with the church of Christ since then.

Have a good day,

Comment

Working...
                              X