Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(GD) The most important written works in history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (GD) The most important written works in history?

So what are they and how would you rank them? I ask because I was thinking today about what written works are crucial for my children to know and understand.

1. Bible

2. Declaration of Independence

I'm not sure after these two - I can think of a lot of books to be sure - too many in fact - so help out with your top ten.

[ 11. December 2002, 23:16: Message edited by: Rebecca ]
    Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. - KJV 2 Cor 3:17

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. - MLK

Molon Labe

Hate is no substitute for love, nor passion truth.

The Law by Frederic Bastiat

A Voluntary Discourse on Servitude by Etienne de la Boetie

Can't remember the full title off-hand, nevertheless, ask for Blackstone's Commentary on the Common Law

Spiritual Counterfeits by Raphael Gasson

How to Enjoy the Bible by E.W. Bullinger

Light Through an Eastern Window,
    Orientalisms of the Bible I,
    Orientalisms of the Bible II, all by Bishop K.C. Pillai

One of those 1' thick complete and unabridged dictionaries of the English language.

Those these are few and certainly NOT an exhaustive listing, they will give foundational knowledge and understanding in the use and abuse of the law and the use and abuse of the spirit. Where you go after this is a matter of interest and choice. The list of useful volumes could be endless.

Chipper

Comment

The big 10 by YHWH!

------------------
      Diesel

Comment

Unintended Consequences

The African Slave Trade(could be Atlantic, not African)

Human Action

Atlas Shrugged

Fourth Reich of the Rich

Those would be five more good ones.

------------------

Remember..the man who wants to take your guns is your ENEMY!

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who didn't"

[This message has been edited by Ed Stirling (edited 25 November 2002).]

Comment

1. The Bible
          2. The Declaration of Independance
          3. The Magna Carta (Without it we would not have the Declaration of Independance)
          4. The US Constitution

Comment

Green Eggs and Ham - Dr. Seuss

Comment

Some works in the science area that have had great impact on human history...

Principia (Law of Motion by Isaac Newton) 5 July 1687

Origin of Species (Thoery of Evolution by Darwin 1859)

Theory of Relativity
              (Albert Einstein 1905)

Comment

"Admiral of The Ocean Sea".......by.........Samuel Elliot Morison.........Columbus and the voyages of discovery

Comment

Anything by Monty Pythons Flying Circus!

Comment

Bible (for those who wish not to go to h&ll)

Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous
                    (for those who have been to h&ll and do not wish to go back)

Unintended Consequences(should be required reading for high school history classes)

This list could go on forever.

------------------
                    FLASWAMPRATT

"ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE"

"As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17

"...if only men were granted absolute liberty, and were compelled to obey no one, they would then voluntarily associate themselves in the common interest."

Comment

Atlas Shrugged should be required reading for all college freshmen.

Comment

To add another:

John Locke's "Second Treatise on Government"

------------------
                        Kentucky Colonel; NRA Endowment Life member; My grass is blue...
                        Kentucky Colonel - Kentucky Proud; NRA Endowment member; GOA Life member...
                        Retired Army - PRO PATRIA VIGILANS - Go Signal!

Comment

I am surprised nobody said the Koran. The Bible is obvious. Budda wrote a book too. I forgot what it was called though.

Comment

flaswampratt

Yes, the Big Book of Alcohics Anonymous may be number three. It has saved countless lives all over the world, has been translated into more languages than any other book except the bible, and has birthed GA NA SA EA CA Alanon ... and countless spin offs.

Shakespeare - his works helped define the English language and speak to all time.

------------------

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. - MLK

Molon Labe

Molon Labe

Comment

Originally posted by Blood of Tyrants:
                              Atlas Shrugged should be required reading for all college freshmen.
                              LOL..most college freshmen couldn't read it and understand 1/5th of what they read...

------------------

Remember..the man who wants to take your guns is your ENEMY!

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who didn't"

Comment

Working...
                              X