Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > AK and SKS

Old April 14th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Executive Member

Default Muzzle Brake

Just got a Wasr10. Decided to put on a "Birdcage" style brake. It was then I noticed the slant brake was simply screwed on. No pin present. There is a hole in the right place however.
How does the pin and spring fit? The notch in the brake seems to be the same size as the hole, and I really don't see how to put a pin and spring in, and have it retained.
Is there a compression washer I could use in lieu of the pin? Silver solder? Doubt Lok-tite would do it. Thanks.
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Contributor

Default Re: Muzzle Brake

The retaining pin has a cut out section that allows one of the front sight cross pins to retain it. Think of a U with the bottom part being long. The pin is a size where it will retain the muzzle device. The front sight having the hole is having over 50% of the battle whipped.

I have used a crush washer on one that did not have a front sight that was drilled for the retaining pin.

On the old sight, it would not have stayed on long. Typical Century monkey work at its finest.
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Executive Member

Now I reallize what probably happened. The front sight was canted, and the original owner removed the pins to re-center the sight, and put it back together without the detent pin. Thanks for the help.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBob View Post
Now I reallize what probably happened. The front sight was canted, and the original owner removed the pins to re-center the sight, and put it back together without the detent pin. Thanks for the help.

Got a Dremel? (A stand for it helps, but you can do it freehand if you are careful.) Find a 1/8" or 3mm Roll pin, and a 1/8" or 3mm drill bit, and re-do it through the hole in the brake, at TDC. (Edited to note that you'll probably have better luck finding a 2.5mm bit and pin, but a 1/8" works.)

You either need a stand and a steady hand, or serious patience, but you can get there, and it'll keep it from coming unscrewed.

FWIW, if you have a drill press, it's much easier. Or if you know someone who has a drill press.....But you can do it with a Dremel. I broke one drill bit, so I'd offer the suggestion that you get two drill bits, (or maybe 3....I may have been lucky...) but that's all it takes.

Just be calm and take your time.

(Note to Campybob: Yes. I do a lot of that WECSOG stuff. But it all works when I'm done, so why not? )

Last edited by jefferson101; April 15th, 2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Executive Member

Not being a machinist, I need a little clarification about the drilling. I do have a Dremel. The hole in the barrel is in the right place, there is just no pin present. How about just forcing a pin into it with the brake in place, which does have the notch. Not sure what you mean you mean by TDC. Thanks for your help.
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Contributor

Dave where you at in Middle Tn? I ask as I would help fix it if you are near.
Old April 16th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Executive Member

Nashville.
Old April 25th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBob View Post
Not being a machinist, I need a little clarification about the drilling. I do have a Dremel. The hole in the barrel is in the right place, there is just no pin present. How about just forcing a pin into it with the brake in place, which does have the notch. Not sure what you mean you mean by TDC. Thanks for your help.
TDC= Top Dead Center. IE, put it up there square, with the pin hole perpendicular to the barrel. Obviously, you'll want to be sure that it's straight across, but you can usually screw it down tight enough that it won't move and have it where you want it.

Then drill through the hole in the brake and all the way through, which will cut a channel in the top of the barrel for the pin.

If I'm confusing you with all this, you might be as well off to get with Hawk45. He probably has a drill press, and probably thinks I'm crazy, but as I said before, a drill press is much preferable even if what I said did make sense.

jefferson101 is not only cheap, he's lazy. I have several folks who would have set mine up in a drill press and done it, if I'd have only asked and taken it by. But I decided that I wanted to do it myself, and now.

It did work, so I know it can be done.