Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > NFA - Class III Toys

Old December 10th, 2008, 05:31 PM
VWTactical

Default Review: Gemtech HALO 5.56mm Suppressor

Last week, On Point Firearms took delivery of our first shipment of Gem-tech suppressors. Among them were a couple of HALOs in 5.56mm NATO. HALO stands for High Activity (let's go cyclic!) Low Observable (hey, where the heck is that fire coming from!?) The HALO is designed to quickly attach to any weapon employing a standard A2 birdcage flashhider. So, you can use a single suppressor on multiple weapons (M16/M4/HK416/M249) without expensive proprietary muzzle adapters for each application. It's a good cost effective solution for guys with a lot of ARs.

The HALO is easy to attach. First, make sure your A2 birdcage isn't mounted with a troublesome crush washer, as these have a tendency to cant the flash hider. This is important, since a misalignment between the bore and the silencer could deliver a costly strike to the inner baffles of the can. Therefore, the HALO ships from Gem-tech with a concentric washer to replace your crush washer. Luckily, I was mounting the suppressor on an LWRC M6A2. No crush washer to worry about, so I was ready to rock. After slipping the adapter collar over the flash hider, slide the can over the birdcage and screw the adapter onto the threads. It's a 30 second operation. Make sure it's on nice and tight! I'll explain the importance of that later.

After install, I could definitely tell the suppressor added some extra weight. This had an adverse effect on the rifle's balance, but moving your support hand position forward helps you regain control. The HALO also adds about 7 inches to the overall length of your rifle, so an SBR application would be ideal if you want to maintain your CQB profile.

Now, let's get down to the meat and potatoes/biscuits and gravy. How does the HALO sound? How does it shoot? The answer to both questions is... GREAT!

Before installing the HALO, I fired a 3 round group at 50yds to verify my zero. After install, there was no change in the bullet's point of impact! That's a big plus in my book, since many suppressors on the market have a tendency to shift a bullet's POI. The HALO doesn't, so you can be confident that your rounds are going to land where they're supposed to-- whether or not you're running suppressed.

We all know what the report of an AR15 sounds like. It's loud-- about 140dB. Gem-tech says the HALO reduces the sound signature by about 32dB, which gets it down to 108dB-- just above the threshold that causes hearing damage. So, it's not hearing safe-- but darn close. I took off my muffs when the ROs weren't looking (which is suprisingly often) and fired 5 rounds into the target. The 5.56mm NATO round is never going to be subsonic, so I could still hear the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. The closest thing I could compare the noise to would be a high powered air rifle. You know, the 1000fps flavor that has been thinning out squirrel numbers for years! You definitely wouldn't recognize it as a gun shot-- especially from a distance. And the flash is completely absorbed in the can. However, I'd like to do a night fire exercise soon to see what kind of flash, if any, remains.

After a few rounds, the HALO really starts to heat up. Absorbing those hot gases causes the body of the silencer to heat up 7 degrees per shot, according to the HALO field manual. I found that the suppressor was too hot to handle (too cold to hold?) after only 10-15 rounds. I also found that the unit would gradually begin to unscrew after 5 rounds! So, I had to put on a pair of Blackhawk gloves and tighten it down after every volley of shots. Heck, the last thing I wanted was a loose and misaligned silencer causing a heartbreaking baffle strike. So, be mindful. If and when a strike occurs, the damage will be horrific, and you can kiss your investment and $200 tax stamp bye bye. No government bailouts here, my friends. Just cold buckets of "reality water."

Speaking of water... the manual states clearly that the HALO cannot be ran "wet". In fact, HALO has a bitter distain for water. In a pinch, you can submerge it underwater to speed up the cooling process, but HALO won't like you for it. After the interior comes in contact with water, you must immediately soak the entire unit in diesel fuel, CLP, WD40, or some other nemesis of water. HALO hates water. I hope I've made that clear. A higher grade of stainless steel might solve this problem, but I can't guarantee that. HALO simply hates water that much! Perhaps that's why our HALOs arrived with a dry-as-a-bone, anodized finish-- which consequently scratches quite easily. After talking to Gem-tech about the condition of the units, they suggested we apply some CLP to the finish. I jokingly asked if water would work and they hung up on me. CLP worked like a charm. It didn't get out all the scratches, but you have to remember: this is a mil-spec suppressor. It's ALL business. The guys that use these professionally aren't worried about a few scratches. They've got bigger fish to fry. Plus, a little Krylon or Duracoat goes a long way. Reminder: don't be afraid to spray down your expensive weapons. Jump in with both feet. However, if you're jumping into water-- don't bring HALO with you.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for my review of the LWRC M6A2 and our extensive coverage of this year's Shot Show starting the evening of January 15, 2009. Have a good one and God bless.

- Evan

Old December 10th, 2008, 09:37 PM
BOLTRIPPER

Cool Re: Review: Gemtech HALO 5.56mm Suppressor

i wonder if you would please describe the cumulative effects of blowback and how to remedy the eventual seizure of the weapon..........being its described as all business ....?
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:06 AM
BOLTRIPPER

please...........is that the only thing you could think of....

try dumping about a half dozen mags thru on your stick, and report back.
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM
BOLTRIPPER

yes....perzackly what i expected.....would also like to see a shot of the port and maybe even the top of a mag well w/rounds still in the mag from a partial exhausted mag.....
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:49 AM
BOLTRIPPER

Default Re: Review: Gemtech HALO 5.56mm Suppressor

thank you for the pictures.....the blow back and build up is not as bad as i have seen with other suppressed .223 semi or FA.....i still think it will surprise many as to the amount there is anyway.

Regards
Old December 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM

If and when a strike occurs, the damage will be horrific, and you can kiss your investment and $200 tax stamp bye bye.

Huh? What?
Old December 25th, 2008, 09:58 AM
BOLTRIPPER

Icon45 Re: Review: Gemtech HALO 5.56mm Suppressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB View Post
If and when a strike occurs, the damage will be horrific, and you can kiss your investment and $200 tax stamp bye bye.

Huh? What?

i have a gun plumber that makes mandrels..... and jocks up any new toy in the lathe to check run out....i have had bullet strikes on cans before.......the whole weapon "rings"....you know about it.....that one was easily fixable since the can came apart to maintain anyway.......others we have checked go back to the maker ASAP.....

makers of cans that are new to making TI from SS usually get it .......not quite spot on ....as they are used to working w/ one type of metal and are not familiar w/something that can warp and not exactly make dimension......the run out in those cases are really dramatic .
Old December 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM

that one was easily fixable since the can came apart to maintain anyway

I've only see one can that needed completely re-manufactured as in 100% new parts...and it was. For a friend on mine. No loss of tax stamp, just a new can bearing his old serial number for the same price as...the can.

It was fun watching him melt it down...Beta-Mag dump after Beta-Mag dump! It was glowing orange-hot in the front third of the tube...sagged...and a bullet strike wiped out about three baffles and the end cap. It was at the Radio Tower Farm Machinegun Shoot two years ago and I was the lucky dog that got to use abusive tools to get the wreck torn apart for the obligatory pictures of what was left of the internals.

In hosting Bulletfest for 8 years and Minifest for 4 years I've witnessed all manner of suppressor destruction, including (but not limited to) watching them come partially unscrewed from machineguns, sagging and then go flying 40-50 yards downrange with a bullethole thru them...oops. All that I'm aware of were re-manufactured with no loss of Form 04.

Folks have also sent their pre-ban cast DPMS AR15 lowers back to DPMS to have have them replaced with newly manufactured forged lowers with the same serial number, so I guess I don't get the part about the loss of a tax stamp in the suppressor case.

As for the investment in the can going buh-bye, yeah...that's a given.
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

"It was fun watching him melt it down...Beta-Mag dump after Beta-Mag dump! It was glowing orange-hot in the front third of the tube...sagged...and a bullet strike wiped out about three baffles and the end cap. It was at the Radio Tower Farm Machinegun Shoot two years ago and I was the lucky dog that got to use abusive tools to get the wreck torn apart for the obligatory pictures of what was left of the internals.

In hosting Bulletfest for 8 years and Minifest for 4 years I've witnessed all manner of suppressor destruction, including (but not limited to) watching them come partially unscrewed from machineguns, sagging and then go flying 40-50 yards downrange with a bullethole thru them...oops. All that I'm aware of were re-manufactured with no loss of Form 04."

I still can not figure out why guys use supressors at a machine gun shoot, kinda usless and retarded unless they are shooting a supressor only relay to show the effectivness of a number of supressed firearms.
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:01 PM

I enjoy shooting full auto .22 LR suppressed, myself. Pointless, but it's cheap fun. And I always try to work in a suppressor-only leg in the morning sessions of the shoots and open up right after the lunch break shutdown with 15 minutes of quiet guns only.

In the case of the melted can...it was way overdue for baffle upgrades and was going back for re-manufacture anyway. The owner decided to have a little fun with it.

At the time, I was shooting immediately to the left of the M16 and I shut down and backed up as I saw the tube start to glow. Flying metal was a distinct possibility, but did not happening this case.

We didn't get the destruction on video (shooter was in the kneeling position using an M16 with a 10.5" upper), but somewhere around here I have the pictures that someone snapped of my filthy hands holding what was left of it.