Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > The Ammo Room

Old March 16th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Executive Member

is it possible to make 7.62x54r brass out of some more commonly available brass ?

\"may your trails be crooked,winding,lonesome,dangerous,leading to the most amazing view.
may your mountains rise into and above the clouds\"
e.a.
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

If there is a cartridge you can reform to make 7.62x54 it would be one not commonly available. Your best bet would be to buy Winchester or Graf brass/ammunition. You could always buy some of the surplus stuff and substitute commercial bullets but be aware that much of the surplus ammunition has corrosive primers.
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Executive Member

I bet you can't cause of the rim. But I'm not an expert. That cartridge is so old, I bet it doesn't have ancestors.
When government shifts from defining what is wrong, with the direct implication that all else is acceptable, to defining what is right, with the insidious suggestion that all else may be suspect if not subversive, then we are well on the way to a police state.

Business, society and government all exist solely to serve the interests of the people. Of, By, For.
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Let me do some digging when I get home. I have a list somewhere of casings that can be resized and trimmed to make other caliber casings. Or maybe a link to a list online.

However, IIRC, 54R is not on the list. As previously noted, the rim is pretty unique for a rifle cartridge.
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Since my last response obviously inspired no better, I looked in The Illustrated Reference of Cartridge Dimensions. Nothing. I followed this with Major Nonte's book. Not even listed. Next I tried Ken Howell's book. Success! You can make them from Finnish 7.62x53R brass. That would be the marginally different (it's one millimeter shorter on OAL)case. Some claim that it uses .308" diameter bullets versus .310". Not much better than the others. Okay. How about The Handloader's Manual Of Cartridge Conversions by John Donnelly & Bryce Towsley you ask? Ready?
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Continued. Use 45-70 brass. Swage the body down from .505" to .490".Turn rim from .608" to .570". Anneal. Use form die or form 40-65 then .33 Winchester then finally 7.62x54. Trim and you're ready to load. I'll wager that you'd rather buy commercial brass, huh?
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Executive Member

steve thanks for all the research and the post , i think your right commerical stuff doesnt sound so bad.

\"may your trails be crooked,winding,lonesome,dangerous,leading to the most amazing view.
may your mountains rise into and above the clouds\"
e.a.