Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > International Chapters > Australia

Old July 15th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Executive Member

Hey everybody,

This is my first topic here on AssaultWeb.Net so please be gentle with me.

In Australia today, lever-action shotguns are still 110% legal for recreational LAFOs with Winchester and Marlin releasing .410 gauge lever-action shotguns based off their sereis of lever-action rifles. For many shooters out there who lost their prized Remington Model 870 and Winchester Model 1200 and 1300 pump-action shotguns, they can now get themselves a modern reproduction of the old Winchester Model 1887 lever-action shotgun which is being made by Norinco of China recently.

I myself would love to get myself a Model 1887 shotgun for the purpose of clay target shooting - just to give the double barrel, break-open shotgun users a run for their money.

Also, is the Winchester Model 1897 pump-action shotgun still legal in Australia today due to it's exposed hammer? I am not sure but if it is still legal then I will buy myself one.

BTW Here's a URL to a page on the Granite Arms website that has a great picture of the Norinco reproduction of the Winchester Model 1887 lever-action shotgun. The URL was provided to me by one of the good blokes over on the AFDF so I would like to thank him again if he is reading AssaultWeb.Net right now

The URL is http://www.granitearms.com/Sporting%20Pages/Norinco.htm

Enjoy!

P.S. everybody. Buy as many of these shotguns as possible to piss off that anti-gun twat Brian Ross and show him who's boss [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Yossarian

I've also been interested in the 1887 shotgun, ever since I read about the ill-fated ADI Lithgow reproduction, in Guns Australia March 2001. That project isn't officially dead yet but it doesn't look good, seems they only produced a very small number (less than 50).

I collected some photos of both the Norinco and ADI shotguns:

This is the Norinco version- i believe it is an early sample already in Australia

Same gun, with action open- no wonder the originals had a reputation for being clumsy and tiring to operate!

Norinco- The general finish looks a bit poor- dings in the stock etc

The ADI Lithgow version- shown at one of the past SHOT shows. These versions look to be much better finished than the Norinco version. The RRP was going to be only $1595- outstanding for an entirely Australian product, and only $400 more than the RRP for the Norinco
Old July 15th, 2004, 01:41 PM
eddy

$1100 bucks for a Norinco seems a bit steep.
In Aust Shooter I saw that the Boito Muira has jumped from 600 bucks to $849, they gotta be joking?
Old July 16th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Executive Member

Yossarian and eddy,

Thanks for the replies to my first forum topic here.

I wouldn't mind either an ADI Limited or a Norinco reproduction Model 1887 shotgun for myself. One of my wishes is that Winchester/US Repeating Arms Corporation start re-making both the Model 1887 and Model 1901 lever-action shotguns to serve as a companion to the Model 9410 lever-action shotguns.

If Winchester/US Repeating Arms Corporation does re-make both the Model 1887 and Model 1901 lever-action shotguns, then they should base both the Model 1887 and Model 1901 lever guns off the Model 1901 action because the Model 1901's action is better suited to mass-production.

I hope that ADI Limited kicks the production pig into high gear and churns more Model 1887 shotguns to compete against the Norinco Model 1887s because the Australian market for lever-action shotguns is very rich and waiting to be tapped in a very big way.
Old July 16th, 2004, 04:07 AM

I appreciate the attraction of a 12GA repeater for pest shooting etc when you need that follow-up shot EG for waterfowl.But....

R/Jase :We have a 12GA Winchester lever gun here locally. It is IMHO a 'pig of a weapon' as regards handling- but I have not shot it yet, but I understand when used by 1890s rail security guards in 10GA- it was a real deterent for crims/bushrangers etc!!!

Nice collectors' piece though, if only it was in better condition.

BB
Old July 16th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Executive Member

Big Bunny,

I don't see the Winchester Model 1887/1901 lever-action shotgun series as a "pig of a weapon".

One of the reasons why I like that particular model of shotgun was that it was seen in the movie Terminator 2 - Judgement Day as Arnold's character's signature weapon at the beginning of the movie, especially with him flip-cocking his Model 1887 shotgun while riding that kick-arse Harley-Davidson motorcycle during the canal chase scenes.

When I first saw the pictures of ADI's Model 1887 in the January/March 2001 issue of Guns Australia, it automatically reminded me of T2 very quickly and I thought, finally a shotgun that doesn't suck which is still 110% legal and is made here in Australia.

I hope to see more Winchester Model 1887 lever-action shotguns either they are made by ADI Limited or by Norinco and I don't care because we have got a repeat-action shotgun that is legal on a Category A/B licence, and a firearm that we can use to get all the pump-action shotguns re-legalised for us. You got to be an idiot for not buying them because we need to lift the profile of these firearms for the younger generation shooters like yours truly.

Come on guys, twist ADI Limited's arms and get them to churn out more Model 1887 shotguns because WE WANT THEM BADLY!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Big Bunny. I wouldn't want to be a criminal or a bushranger who is staring down the barrel of a Winchester Model 1887 shotgun in the late 19th century. It would ruin my day in a big way.
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Yossarian

Pity no-one makes a 'straight-pull' bolt action ie something like a semi-auto only without the gas system. That would probably be quicker and smoother to operate than a lever action shotgun.

I agree the 1887 has a certain character and charm about it

Did you notice in T2 that the front of the trigger guard is cut away? You can see it on the movie posters. Another 1887 lever he used in the movie had a large loop type lever, this was the one where he swung the gun around to reload it, in the chase scenes. You can see both types here:
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Executive Member

Yossarian,

Nice video cover. I can tell that it was released in France because it was written in French.
FYI I already know that part of the trigger guard was cut away as well as the loop handle was enlarged for the scenes where the shotgun was flip-cocked due to Arnold Schwarzenegger having big hands.

BTW Have you guys ever seen the Guns N' Roses music video "You Could Be Mine" for the T2 soundtrack? That music video kicked arse big time!!

Also Yossarian, I've got the Terminator 2 -Ultimate Edition DVD and it has some good video footage and information on the weapons that were used in the movie as well as the company that provided the weapons, Stembridge Gun Rentals of Hollywood. Stembridge also provided weapons to the old TV series "The Rifleman" starring Chuck Connors as well as a couple of movies like the 1984 movie Red Dawn.

It's a shame that many pro-gunners here in Australia don't enjoy these movies and talk about the weaponry that were seen in them because a lot of movies that have been released recently are showing off some of the latest firearms like the Heckler & Koch G-36 automatic rifle and the FN P-90 sub-machine gun. Maybe it's just me.
Old July 17th, 2004, 02:28 AM
eddy

According to Simon Lawrance ADI 1887 repo was poorly made and they ditched the project.
The Boito Miura would be a better scrub gun or even one of those mossberg bolt action shotguns that appear on the 2nd hand rack for about $300.

[ July 17, 2004, 01:36: Message edited by: eddy ]
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Yossarian

That's interesting. They say that the ADI Lithgow produced Garand receivers made recently were pretty awful too.

I did see one second hand ADI 1887 in a Shooter magazine a while ago, for $2500. Must have been one of the special edition ones they advertised.

Interesting about the Mossberg bolt action shotgun, the Israelis use it as a short range urban sniper rifle...

http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/sws/...g/mossberg.htm
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Executive Member

Hey Yossarian and co,

Here's a URL you all should check out and it is related to thsi forum topic

http://www.terminatorfiles.com

Check in the Articles section and look for an article called "Weapons From The Terminator Movies", it's got a good picture of Arnold with the Model 1887 shotgun along with some details.
Old July 20th, 2004, 02:00 AM

Well, I'm afraid that TV and Movie "cult weapons" and anthing remotely "military" in appearance tend to get banned here in Oz, as they are seen as exhibitions of "gun culture", attracting the "wrong" sort of person!

But as long as they are legal, no-body should get upset I suppose.....best of luck to you both anyway. An interesting post and good references too. Enjoy.

BB
Old July 23rd, 2004, 07:20 AM
Executive Member

Big Bunny,

Thanks for the warm support mate. Let's prove to our opponents that TV, Movie, and Military firearms that develop "cult" status as a positive thing that deserves to be nurtured by the ideas of personal responsibility which our chosedn activity advocates.

Screw our opponents, let's expose them for the vicious bigots they really are.

The Winchester Model 1887/Model 1901 lever-action shotgun is a fine shotgun and it deserves to stay in circulation. I hope that the movie Terminator 2 - Judgement Day lifts the profile of this shotgun in the shooting community a little more because we need cool guns to shoot.
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:16 AM
FreightTrain

I would be interested to see Norinco offer this 1887 shotgun here in the States.
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Yossarian

Unfortunately they probably can't, until the ban on Norinco products is lifted.... Tristar insist that the Australian 1887 project is still going ahead, you never know your luck, it might actually happen...
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Executive Member

Hey guys,

Here' an updated version of the Granite Arms Norinco page on the Internet. It seems that Norinco is still producing the Model 1887 lever-action shotgun.

I hope that I get one of these shotguns in the near future

The URL is...

http://www.granitearms.com/Norinco.htm

Enjoy!
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Yossarian

They keep on pushing the date back, March-early april was what they told me in mid february.
Old April 8th, 2005, 06:37 AM

OK ...I have just sent them an e-mail. We will see how we go about buying one now!

BB
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Yossarian

Bet they'll tell you may-june now.
Old April 9th, 2005, 01:14 AM

We'll see if its all BS or not!

BB