Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Discussion > Hope, Faith, Grace, Redemption

Closed Thread

Old July 27th, 2003, 07:07 PM
YANKEEFAN

Icon36

Hi all,

The other night my wife and I got into a discussion concering religion and the business world. Obviously with that kinnd of discussion there will be points of disagreement, but there was one in paticular that bothered me. My wife and I said that the mormon church owned or hasd at least partial ownership in the PepsiCo company and its subsidiaries. They said they owned Coca-Cola. I tried looking on the LDS web site to no avail. Can anyone help me find the info or can tell me which couple is right; if either one of us really is right. Thanks!
Old July 27th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Grouchy Moderator

If they are right and I dont know if they are does it matter?
imho no it doesnt....
Old July 27th, 2003, 10:26 PM
YANKEEFAN

I wasn't posing the question as to who is right and wrong. I guess I phrased my post wrong. It was more of a question of clarification. All I am hoping is that someone can clarify the situation for me.
Old July 27th, 2003, 10:31 PM
Grouchy Moderator

Icon44

Quote:
Originally posted by YANKEEFAN:
I wasn't posing the question as to who is right and wrong. I guess I phrased my post wrong. It was more of a question of clarification. All I am hoping is that someone can clarify the situation for me.
I could have been reading more into it than you meant also.
Its hard at times on web boards to read people's intentions.
If I miss read it please forgive me.

[ 27. July 2003, 22:32: Message edited by: strmrdr ]
Old July 31st, 2003, 09:31 PM
Porter-Glockwell

It is false...

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/mormon.asp

this rumor stems from the fact that we do not use drugs, alcohol, toboacco or hot drinks (tea and coffee) the latter has been interpreted by many Mormons as no caffine. The Prophet has couciled us to avoid all things that harm our bodies, but caffinated softdrinks have always been a matter of personal choice. I personally do not drink ANY soft drinks as a matter of common sense health. The carbonated water is bad enough for you.

I do like SOBE power juice drink and it does contain caffine.

The same lies have come up saying we own Jack Daniels and Tobacco shares in Phillip Morris too, but they are just lies.

Porter

[ 31. July 2003, 21:32: Message edited by: Porter-Glockwell ]
Old August 4th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Wodan

First off, for what it's worth, I like Mormons.

A Mormon DID buy Pepsico. Pepsico owns Pizza Hut (amongst others). As soon as that happened, Pizza Hut pulled the cigarette machines out - that bummed me out because I smoked then.

What PG said about hot drinks - Joe Smith said "no hot drinks" and in the day that was basically coffee, tea and cocoa - all of which have caffeine.

Now, lets get philosophical - did Joseph Smith mean no caffiene or no hot drinks? If no caffeine, then Coke and Pepsi are out - and were out until some bigwig bought Pepsico - ask your parents. At that point it switched back to "no hot drinks". So I pose the question - is Thai iced coffee ok? What about iced tea? If iced tea is ok, why not hot tea? If it IS hot drinks - is warm milk ok? What about hot apple cider? Think about it.

Bottom line - one's salvation is not dependent on what one does or does not eat/drink.

[ 04. August 2003, 00:48: Message edited by: Wodan ]
Old August 4th, 2003, 09:13 AM
oldgoofydude

Wodan, would it be possible to provide the name of this Mormon? Or a reference where this info could be found?

I can't reliably place this quote unless I really dig for the info. I beleive it came from a transcript when the president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was on Larry King last year. I just remember that my wife, who is a Mormon in good standing, showed me this article.

Larry King asked him about the coffee, tea and soda, Gordan B. Hinkley answered that it is caffeine contained in these beverages.

Caffeine has strong effects of the body. I remember my mother and step dad always seeming to have a Pepsi with them. They joked that they were "pepsiholics. I found out for myself that it is addictive. At one point I was drinking close to three two litter bottles a day.

When I finally read about the effects of caffeine, I knew that I had to cut down big time. It wasn't easy but I now limit myself to one glass of diet Mountain Dew, once in awhile, in the morning to help overcome the lingering effects of my night time meds.

Anyway, for myself at least, I try to avoid any food or beverage that has any addictive ingredient.
Old August 4th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Comrade Andrei

I've never understood that, what is the big deal with not doing the above mentioned things? Sure, smoking, drinking, and consuming things like caffeine might not be physically good for you but I know that smoking and caffeine aren't morally bad and that drinking isn't morally bad unless you let it control your life or you do bad things when you are drunk (but that's your own fault, not the alcohol's).

Plus, I think the whole addictive thing can be a scapegoat. Mildly addictive things like caffeine can be easily controlled. I don't drink much pop anymore because it gives me heartburn and gas and it really isn't as refreshing as water, juice or milk. I drink coffee in the morning but I just like something warm to drink in the morning-especially in winter.
Old August 4th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Porter-Glockwell

It is called a test of faith. Just as the Israelites were forbidden certain foods, drinks and practices under the law of Moses, we have been asked to avoid certain substances that can be harmful out of respect for our bodies and as a demonstration of our faith. You are correct that salvation does not come from what you eat or drink, but salvation does come from obedience.

Porter
Old August 5th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Comrade Andrei

[QUOTE]but salvation does come from obedience.[/QUOTE0

I guess that was why I didn't understand it, my obedience is owed to the Vatican and they don't dictate such things.
Old August 6th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Alma the Younger

As Porter stated the Word of Wisdom, which is the revelation to which this thread refers, was given, by revelation as a commandment and a blessing. The Lord has always required his people to be a " Particular " people, and has used clothing standards, rituals, and dietary laws to accomplish this.

This is the purpose of the Word of Wisdom. The Lord knew that tobacco, alcohol, coffee and tea, were and are popular in society so he has asked that his people sacrifice these items in order to set themselves apart from the rest of society. That is the part that deals with faith and sacrifice. The blessings are two-fold: First, by exercising faith and obedience the person recieves spiritual blessings. Second, by not smoking, drinking or using coffee and tea, the person can recieve temporal blessings, primarily beter health.

The Word of Wisdom contains other counsels such as:

Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof;all these to be used with prudenceand thanksgiving.

Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used csparingly;

And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;

And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger.

All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground

Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain. D&C 89:11-17

So basically, this revelation covered the entire dietary habits of the people of that time. Indeed it was a great blessing because it allow people to recieve greater blessings. One has to also consider that this revelation was recieved on February 27, 1833. But it wasn't until the 1970's that cigarettes were proven to be dangerous.

As with the whole controversy about caffiene, that really isn't an issue. As Porter stated it is a personal choice and is not regulated by the presidency of the church. Having said that, anything that becomes excessive would be frowned upon whether it be Twinkies, hamburgers, etc.

Lastly, this deal about the church owning Coke or Pepsi is a non-starter. Like any major organization, the LDS church owns a portfolio of stocks, which is managed by professional companies outside the church and audited yearly. Is it possible that at one time or another the LDS church owned stock in Coke? Sure, afterall, they own a number of excellent comapnies other than there Coke business. But I can guarantee that the LDS church never owned or had controling interest in either Coke or Pepsi.

Some people even frown upon the idea that a church owns stock. Please. There is no commandment against wise money management. It can be aggressively argued that the parable of the talents even endorses the pratice. One of the great things about the wise financial dealings of the church is that our members always have a building to meet in and access to resources. We operate a worldwide church of over 11 million members, we have a global missionary program, a global welfare program, printing and distribution companies, schools, universities, etc., these things cost money and people all over the world are blessed because of them.

419!
Old August 10th, 2003, 09:36 PM
IronRanger

what about computers? the mark of the beast is the bar code. its of the devil and your using it
Old August 11th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Alma the Younger

Quote:
what about computers? the mark of the beast is the bar code. its of the devil and your using it
I'm assuming this is a joke, or at least I hope it is.

419!
Old August 11th, 2003, 09:46 PM
IronRanger

tell me why you hope its a joke
Old August 12th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Porter-Glockwell

Tell me why you think we are against computers... umm, we're Mormons, not Amish... there is nothing wrong with computers. The Church even has its own website. Like we would do that if we thought computers were evil...

http://www.lds.org/

[ 12. August 2003, 15:06: Message edited by: Porter-Glockwell ]
Old August 12th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Grouchy Moderator

Icon46

Old August 12th, 2003, 11:22 PM
IronRanger

sorry if i did not make myself clear. every thing natural God put on the earth is/was for the benefit of man and to the glory of God.its the abuse man does that ruins things.
my refarence about computers, is in Revalations about the mark of the beast.we're headed for a cashless sociaty where no one can buy or sell with out the mark, which is the bar code with all your info on it ,where you live,how much money you have, and all other personal info on it.it is written.....its in the word..... i did not mean any offence. my apologys === my spelling may not be to good but my word is true
Old September 4th, 2004, 08:47 PM
DELTA DOG

Hello all i am a member of the church, and i my self personaly, i drink mt. dew, the code red kind its very addictive, and i got to have at least one 2 liter of it per day, but at one time i was also a hopeless alcholic, and i came back to church and stopped drinking, and in my hummble opinion, i think the Prophet would rather i drink soda pop as oppossed to alcholic beverages lol
but thats just my thoughts! and i dont think i will be cast into the outer darkness based upon my drinking soda lol
Old September 6th, 2004, 07:46 AM
John_Wayne777

God has indeed called His people to "Come out from among them and be seperate", but I believe that this speaks of the inward circumcision of the heart. This refers to a people who speak, think, and most importantly act differently than the sinful world. Those who go about the earth dead to themselves and their own ambitions and fleshly desires, and genuinely trying to live their life not as themselves, but as Christ in them.

This inward life is the mark of a genuine Christian.

Because of this inward life, if it is genunine, there will be outward manifestation of it such as avoiding sexual impurity, lying, cheating, stealing, drunkenness, etc.

I do believe our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, and as such we must care for them. As the Bride of Christ, we have not right over our own bodies.

I believe that in the perfect will of God we would eat only what fuels our bodies most properly, and would avoid eating/drinking the wrong things. But I don't believe we sin when we eat bad foods or drink sodas unless we feel led by the Spirit to specifically give these things up. Any disobedience to the leading of the Spirit is sin...

As Paul said, if our conscience is violated, then we sin. One man eats and does so to give Glory to Christ. Another man does not eat and does not do so in order to give Glory to Christ....
Old September 6th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Alma the Younger

I believe the reason so many people seem to have a problem with the Word of Wisdom, isn't so much because of what it says...but because it's associated with the LDS church.

I have found that many people seem to maintain a feeling that they have to oppose whatever the "Mormons" do or say. That's unfortunate.

If we examine Christianity we find that most sects practise some form of faith based sacrifice. I have many Baptist friends who do not believe in drinking alcohol. No one mocks them. I have Catholic friends who actively partisipate in lent each year and do not eat meat on Fridays. Once again, no one seems to feel obligated in opposing them. What about the commandments relating to modesty or castity? Most of my Christain friends are sickened to see the "so-called" fashions (ala Britiny Spears) that young girls are wearing today. They teach their children that God does not want them to walk around looking like harlots. Likewise, most Christains teach their children that sleeping around is against the laws of Father. I also have orthodox Jewish friends who wear certain clothes and follow particular habits each day. So we all place limits on our behavior based upon our desire to please God.

The bottom line is that Christ has always asked his followers to make sacrifices to help remind them of their religious obligations. Whether it's in the form of food and drink, clothing, thoughts, actions, styles, etc.

My point is that we have far more in common than we might think.

419!
Closed Thread