Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Discussion > General Discussion

Old September 24th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Contributor
Moderator Token Forum Zombie

Default Missing For 42 Years, 2 Teens Found In A Creek

Officials Find Skeletal Remains in Union County

UNION COUNTY, SD - Officials say skeletal remains have been recovered in South Dakota's oldest cold case.

On May 29, 1971, Pam Jackson and Sherri Miller were on their way to an end of the school year party at a Union County gravel pit but they never made it.

On Monday, their car was discovered a half mile away in Brule Creek, right by a bridge.

Attorney General Marty Jackley, Union County Sheriff Dan Limoges and Union County State's Attorney Jerry Miller confirm that the site of the recovered vehicle in Union County has been processed and items of potential evidence have been preserved. The site has been released by law enforcement.

Items from the site will be tested and evaluated. Agencies assisting in this investigation are the Union County Sheriff's Office, Clay County Sheriff's Office, Vermillion Police Department, South Dakota Highway Patrol, Beresford Fire and Rescue, Department of Transportation, Union County Highway Maintenance, Pollman Excavation and Division of Criminal Investigation.

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Default Re: Missing For 42 Years, 2 Teens Found In A Creek

Once again, as with those cases in Oklahoma, they must have looked really hard.

Like you can't see any indication that a vehicle ran off the road in a particular spot for a week or so after it has happened, right? Sad, but true. Nobody even bothered to look around the area.

Dayum!
Old September 24th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Contributor

Another thing about these kind of events is what the parents and any sibling they may have had went through. I couldn't imagine worrying, wondering and not knowing what happened to my daughter for all those years. My hope would be that she decided to just run away and live her life off the radar of her family and friends. That wouldn't be good, but it would be much better than finding out she was dead.

Old September 25th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Executive Member

Sounds to me like another case of law enforcement not doing enough to solve their disappearance. If these girls where on their way to a part in a gravel pit, common sense says to possibly check area where they could have driven off the road.

Tree Hugging Warmonger
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:55 PM

Sadly this is something to consider should anyone's loved ones go missing. The other case where the main road ended directly into a boat ramp boggles my mind. How could no one have thought to look there?

Locally we have a pretty good record with missing children and seniors, it isn't uncommon for large search parties to join the effort.

If a person goes missing in a car, any local lakes should be searched.
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle 66 View Post
If a person goes missing in a car, any local lakes should be searched.
This ↑

Ponds, creeks, rivers or lakes are the first place that should be searched. There's not many other places something as big as a vehicle could go unseen.

Old September 26th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Executive Member

Cars under water are a funny thing...

Some 25 years ago, a woman went missing from my mail route along the shores of Lake Erie. As the story goes, 'It was a dark and stormy night...' The woman evidently turned the wrong way at a bend of the dark road, through a vacant lot where a house had just been torn down - and off the 60' cliff to the wind-roughened lake water below.

The husband asked me to keep a lookout for the car in case I saw it when she was only missing a day on her way home from a friend's house the night before - I'd often see the woman standing at the side of the road with her five-year-old waiting for the kindergarten schoolbus. Pretty young thing... The kid too...

I don't know why, but that particular day I walked though that vacant lakefront lot to look out over the water. I looked down, too, at the silt-brown churning water below. I had to be looking right at the car from right where it went off the cliff and I didn't see it. The water was only about 8-10' deep, but with the storm-churned water, you could not see anything below the surface.

A week or so later, the woman's body floated free of the wreckage and the wind and current carried her body over a mile from the car. The car was found upside-down (like the proverbial buttered toast always falls butter-side down) and the sand and wave action had abraded all the paint off the car. The car was covered with accumulated sand/silt from the churned-up water and was the exact color of the bottom. They only found it because of the seeping oil creating a slick on the now smoother lake. You still could not see the car, even though it rested only six feet below the surface.
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Executive Member

Default Good One, Cougar

We had a case out here a few years back.
IIRC, guy and car went missing. He had been drinking and missed the turn for the route he SHOULD have taken. He was a few miles off course.
Turned out he had gone off the road where the highway crosses a large concrete aqueduct. There were no marks, no damaged guardrails, no holes in fences and the current had pushed the car UNDER the bridge. Everyone (LEO's and Friends/Family) was looking where he SHOULD have been. I don't remember how/when it was found.

Another problem,

Maintenance Costs.

Many areas have "deadly highways"
Certain turns at certain times have repeat events.

Due to costs, there are places along our MAJOR freeways where guardrails have been damaged for months and no one can tell if the skid marks were made last night or last month.

Other places have NO guardrails and the pavement is almost at the edge of a drop-off into brush and gravel. Unless you are a CSI star, you would never see where a car has left the road and with the car over 100' down the slope (and possibly upside down), someone would have to be walking / flying at EXACTLY the right angle at EXACTLY the right time in order to see it.