Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Discussion > General Discussion

Old January 7th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Executive Member

Default Strike anywhere kitchen matches, banned?

Can't find them anywhere around here, just wondering if the EPA, ATF or DEA might have banned them?

Careful who you kick on your way up, they'll kick you twice on your way down!
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Executive Member

Default Re: Strike anywhere kitchen matches, banned?

You can't get the good white tipped ones anymore. There is a a crappy replacement version that has a blue or green tip. Calling them "strike anywhere" is stretching the truth past the breaking point. I don't know if it was a ban or if the manufacturers voluntarily changed them.
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Executive Member

I think they were banned some years ago. Still available at some of the "survival" places on the web.
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Executive Member

Here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_585jwphwo9_e
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

I don't know that they were "banned" as such, but I do think they quit making them because of liability issues. I've known a couple of folks who had some stuffed in a pocket and managed to light them off.

That was 30 or 40 years back, but if it happened now, somebody would be thinking they won the Lawsuit Lottery, I 'spect.

Old January 7th, 2013, 06:22 PM

Thumbs up Re: Strike anywhere kitchen matches, banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noland View Post
You can't get the good white tipped ones anymore. There is a a crappy replacement version that has a blue or green tip. Calling them "strike anywhere" is stretching the truth past the breaking point. I don't know if it was a ban or if the manufacturers voluntarily changed them.
Well while they aren't exactly the same thing and this is mostly just my opinion but FWIW for the last forty years or so there's a wood match called LIFEBOAT MATCHES or Windproof/Waterproof Matches. The first time I saw these for sale I was at the original REI (REI.com) store in Seattle WA. Push forward 30 years or so and I think they are sold by Stan-Sport Camping Gear. They're lacquered to waterproof them. The match is about 2" to 2 1/2" long and half of the match is actual match. When lit they flare up like normal match only they flare continuously for 3 or 4 seconds. They are quite handy in high wind situations. Compared to Strike Anywhere or Safety wood matches these are IMHO the next best thing to a 15 minute road flare. These Lifeboat type matches used to come in sturdy boxes for durability. They are Safety Matches. They are quite expensive coming at 15 to 25 matches per box. All the same they are handy to have in a Survival Kit or BOB. Just my .02 worth.
I'm just a cog in the wheel, but not a big deal.
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Executive Member

Does anyone actually use wooden matches anymore when they have butain matches?
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Pete View Post
I don't know what I'd do with any of them. I've probably got at least 250 of those disposable butane lighters in a box at home, and the pile keeps growing. They give me one every time I buy a carton of smokes, and I don't use them. I've got a Zippo.

I've got a half-dozen of those butane ones in every BOB, Range bag, vehicle, and whatnot that I own, and they seem to hold up pretty good. I dug some out of the old Ranger when I sold it this summer that I know had been in there since at least 2001 or 2002, and they still worked.

I have got a box of those big wooden kitchen matches on a shelf in the kitchen, but I'm not sure they even would work any more, because I'm sure that they are at least 25 years old.
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Executive Member

For a serious situation, I wouldn't give two cents for anything butane. Try butane whens its about 15 degrees, damp with wind blowing.

Old January 7th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Executive Member

I have some that are a LEAST 20 years old, and they still work. Could they be like today's ammo........and sell them for.........I would need $5 a matchstick.............

Fair enough??????
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Executive Member

Publix grocery has them. I keep a dozen or so boxes on hand.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Grouchy Moderator

The real strike anywhere matches were banned in the 80s "save the kids"... sound familiar?
I still have a couple boxes around and they are the best.
Today's strike anywhere suck.
For starting a fire good matches beat a lighter any day.
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballmagnet View Post
For a serious situation, I wouldn't give two cents for anything butane. Try butane whens its about 15 degrees, damp with wind blowing.
That's what the Zippo is for, actually. In really bad weather, you put gasoline in them, and it works, first time, every time.

OTOH, I've run butane lighters at -30F and better. (I think they were called "Cricket" lighters back then, but whatever....) You keep them in your shirt pocket under your vest and coat and whatnot, and they stay warm and work just fine.
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Executive Member

They are called lifeboat matches and eveybody makes them these days.

skip to 7:15
Also, there is a company that makes strike anywhere matches. They are called Diamond. These are the guys that bought out Ohio blue tip.

BISHOP

Last edited by BISHOP; January 7th, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Executive Member

I remember my mom dropping a box of the strike anywhere matches while setting them on the grocery store counter back in the late fifties, POOF, the box just went up in a big cloud of flames and smoke when they hit the floor. Nobody thought much about it, the checkout girl just yelled for the stock boy to bring a mop and another box.

“We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities.”
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Contributor
Moderator Token Forum Zombie

They were never banned. The reason you don't see them on store shelves as much as you used to see them is because the shipping fees are prohibitive. I was looking to buy some online a while back. The boxes of matches were cheap, but the Hazmat shipping for even one box was $27.

You can still get the Diamond brand at some Walmarts, Krogers, etc. There are also a ton of places online like Amazon, etc. where you can order them. But if you don't buy bulk it isn't worth it due to the Hazmat fee.

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:51 AM

Icon36 Re: Strike anywhere kitchen matches, banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Pete View Post
Near every time I light a burner on my Propane stove in the kitchen I use a wood match. Sometimes I use the lighter I keep by the matches to get 2 or 3 lights off 'dead' matches I keep off to the side.

The 5 gallon tank I run my stove with is on a 10 foot hose just 3 feet from the range top actual. I'm pretty cotton pickin' sure this setup is out of Code or just plain illegal. I've had this setup since 1995. I'm still here. Just one more item of proof that just because it's *Not Code* don't make it hazardous.

Lord hep me, I'm an Outlaw and Proud to say so!
I'm just a cog in the wheel, but not a big deal.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Executive Member

Just found that the old red/white head matches have not been made since 2010, new so called green heads have replaced them. From reviews they ain't worth buying.

Old January 8th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Executive Member

IIRC, there used to be a tool that you could buy that would make the "shell" of a percussion cap from old aluminum cans, and you would use the stuff on the end of the strike anywhere matches as the ignition chemical in the cap.

Some of the percussion firearms guys like to be as self-sufficient as possible, even to the extent of making their own black powder. (Perhaps a lesson to be learned there for all of us, considering what's coming.)

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Executive Member

Icon45 Re: Strike anywhere kitchen matches, banned?

oh noes das terrorisms......