Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Pistols and Revolvers

Old June 28th, 2012, 07:57 AM
1911cc

Default Colt Peacemaker clone

Wifey wants a Colt Peacemaker. I can't justify the money for a real one when she's going to shoot it a few times and put it in the safe, and she agrees. I know there are clones out there, but I don't know the brand. She thinks she wants to stay with .45 long colt ammo. Is there anything out there?
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Executive Member

Default Re: Colt Peacemaker clone

Uberti Cattleman.
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/singl...-cattleman.php

They have many barrel lengths and finish variations.
You can pick and choose your Peacemaker's look.
They also sell matched sets.

I want one or 2 in 45 long colt (to be traditional) in 5.5" barrel with case hardened frame.

This, but in a 5.5" barrel.
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/image...m_steel_lg.jpg

BISHOP
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:07 PM

The better quality clones are made by Uberti, and sold under their own name or by importers.

Uberti will flex the quality of the finish according to what price point an importer will sell at, but you have to compare the levels side by side to see the difference.

The better quality are sold by Uberti, Cimarron Arms, and Navy Arms. Lower quality finish models are sold by companies like EMF and Dixie Gun Works.
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Executive Member

How close of clone do you want.

The Ruger Vaquero looks identical and can be had for around $500 new.

They are however much different internally and are basically a modern revolver that looks like a SAA. This does make them a bit safer than the originals.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:21 AM
Executive Member

I like the Ruger a lot better. The original is very different, but the Ruger is a better gun, much stronger, more reliable, safer and more fun (to me) to shoot. Well they are both fun to shoot, but one can be shot and one can be shot and actually worn and used (that being the Ruger). The New Vaqueros are very nice (I have new and old) and are well balanced. They give you the look and feel of a Colt but with a much better mechanism.
How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).
Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:40 PM
1911cc

I'll have to look into the Rugers. Thanks.
Old July 21st, 2012, 03:35 PM
Executive Member

I own a few Ruger Vaquero's. I converted them to be "closer" to the true "single action"........that the old Colts have, with the "Power Custom" hammer kits.......and they are VERY nice revolvers!!

BUT!!! I will not be happy, until I own a TRUE Colt single action. It is sort of akin to riding a Japanese "Harley", instead of actually riding a.........HARLEY- DAVIDSON!!!!!! (I cannot afford one of those either!! LOL!!!)
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Last edited by Led; July 21st, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old July 21st, 2012, 03:40 PM
1911cc

What is the "Power Custom" hammer kit? Wifeyperson is leaning towards the Rugers.
Old July 21st, 2012, 03:56 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911cc View Post
What is the "Power Custom" hammer kit? Wifeyperson is leaning towards the Rugers.
It is a custom made hammer and trigger combo, that mimicks the "three click" cocking of a true single action.

It also lines up the cylinder to the loading gate, for easy unloading/loading. That can be done in the dark, with this kit. Rugers from the factory, do not do this.......

They are not cheap. But WELL worth the expense......

Ruger Single Action Hammer & Trigger Kits
Allows for a 2 to 3 Pound trigger pull for all new Model Large Frame Single Action Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, and Vaqueros. Make Ruger Single Actions feel more like Colt Single Action. When on Halfcock, open the loading gate- chambers line up with the loading gate for ease of operation, spin the cylinder & hear the pawl sing. On Hammer draw you can hear and feel 3 postive clicks. Wolff Spring Kit includes 3 different reduced power hammer springs, (17lbs, 18lbs, and 19lbs), a reduced power trigger spring, and 1 extra power cylinder latch pin spring (minor modifications are required to some factory parts). Includes detailed instructions.

Ruger Single Action Hammer & Trigger Kit
Blue
Stainless Finish
BUY
$159.95
$179.95
Ruger Single Action Hammer Only
Blue
Stainless Finish
BUY
$108.37
$118.37
Ruger Single Action Trigger Only
Blue
Stainless Finish
BUY
$36.67
$46.67
Wolff Spring KitBUY
$18.11
Ruger Single Action Bisley Hammer
with half-cock notch, E.D.M. and CNC machined. Finished in complete black oxide. Designed to replace the factory BlackHawk hammer to allow for a better, lower profile, wide spur. It is best to be used with the Power Custom Ruger Single Action Vaquero/Black Hawk Trigger. The factory trigger may be altered as per detailed instructions. Using the Power Custom Black Hawk trigger, the trigger pull will weigh about 2 1/4lbs with the Wolff reduced power spring kit and approx. 3 to 31/4 lbs with the factory springs. Requires minor modification to the transfer bar to allow the gate to be opened when on half cock. The rear of the hammer radius is larger then the BlackHawk/Vaquero Hammers. This fills in the big gap that is at the rear of the hammer at the top of the back strap of the factory Revolver.
Ruger Single Action Bisley Hammer &
Bisley Trigger Kit w/Wolff Spring Kit
Blue
Stainless Finish
BUY

$179.95
$199.95
Ruger Single Action Bisley Hammer &
Black Hawk Trigger Kit w/Wolff Spring Kit
Blue
Stainless Finish
BUY

$179.95
$199.95
Ruger Single Action Bisley Hammer Only
Blue
Stainless Finish
BUY
$129.95
$139.95
Ruger Single Action Bisley Trigger Only
Blue
Stainless Finish
BUY
$39.95
$49.95
Ruger Single Action Black Hawk Trigger Only
Blue
Stainless Finish
BUY
$39.95
$49.95
Wolff Single Action Spring KitBUY
$18.11
PPC Heavy Vented Underlug
Conveniently add weight to your PPC revolver. Fits bull 1.062" Bull Barrelled revolvers. Vented design for increased cooling capabilities.
Stainless Steel
$61.66
BUY

(picture not available)Barricade Finger Stop$19.95
BUYS&W Competition Hands
Oversize hands to aid the gunsmith to fit all S&W K, L, & N frame revolvers. They are machined from tool steel.

$25.00
BUY
"K" Frame Hand "L" Frame Hand "N" Frame HandCrane Lock Ball & Spring Kit
Stainless Crane Lock Ball & Spring Kit- Conveniently add extra ball locks to your Custom Revolver.

Crane Ball Kit with Punch. Includes 20 Balls and 20 Springs$19.60
BUY
Crane Ball Refill Kit. Includes 10 Balls and 10 Springs$8.00
BUYScope Ring Base Stock
Weaver Style Aluminium Blanks ready for custom Machined Bases. A full 9/16" thick. Available in 9" or 18" stock.

BUY9" Scope Base Stock$14.2018" Scope Base Stock$25.00Stainless Cylinder End Shake Bearings
Eliminates Excessive Cylinder Endplay. 10 Per Pack
$18.00
BUYPY-2 .002" Yoke BearingsPC-2 .002" K,L,N Endshake BearingsPC-4 .004" K,L,N Endshake BearingsPC-J2 .002" J Frame Endshake BearingsPC-R2 .002" Ruger DA Revolver Endshake BearingPC-CSA .002" Colt SA Endshake BearingPC-WH#1 K,L,N Hammer ShimsPC-WT#2 K,L,N Trigger ShimsStainless Yoke Bearings
Eliminates Excessive Yoke Endplay
$18.00
BUYStainless S&W Hammer & Trigger Sideplate Shims
Eliminates Excessive side to side movement between the Hammer and Trigger Sideplate. This will enhance your trigger pull significantly.
$18.00
BUYUniversal Base Pin Bushing
Bushing is machined into cylinder to eliminate cylinder endshake for improved accuracy in single action revolvers. Both
include 4 .002 endshake bearings.
$34.95
BUY
Bushing Kit #1 (Rugers) Contains 1 bushing with I.D. reamed to .248.Bushing Kit#2 (Colt & Clones) Contains 1 bushing with I.D. reamed to .250. Patent # 6,385,888

Free Spin Pawl
This allow the shooter to take advantage of being able to rotate the cylinder in either direction for easy reloading. Works when the gate is opened. Might require some gunsmithing alterations. Designed for Ruger Vaquero, Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, some Clones, and Single Six.
$34.95
BUY
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)
Old July 21st, 2012, 04:20 PM
1911cc

I was looking at the Vaquero, from what I can see it is no longer offered in the case hardened color, just blued. Still think her choice might be a Ruger though.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:40 AM
Executive Member

Icon41 Re: Colt Peacemaker clone

I have a whole bunch of Ruger Old Model Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk revolvers. I much prefer them to the New Models, including the Vaqueros. I think it was about 1973 when Ruger caved to the anti-gun zealots and lawyers and made the changes resulting in the New Model. Those took away the half-cock to release the cylinder (now done by opening the loading gate) and put in the transfer bar (to prevent discharging a cartridge by dropping the gun on its hammer). Ruger also developed a modification for its Old Model revolvers that added a transfer bar, but left the rest of the lockwork unchanged. IMHO, they should have just stopped with that instead of developing the New Model: those guns don't have the chambers line up with the ejection rod when the pawl clicks and one has to actually hold the cylinder lined up to eject cartridges! In the Old Models, it is possible to unload the cylinder just by listening--not so with the New Models.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
Executive Member

IMO whether you like the transfer bar safety or not, the New Vaqueros are better handling than the older heavier ones (and I have both). While I still like the ability to shoot full power .45 Colt rounds in the older "New Vaqueros" in .45 C, and I wish that option was still around for full power freaks which include me, when it comes to .357 the new ones win in every category. They are just better handling, and to me subjectively look better (notice how I used .45 C.... since there is no such thing as .45 LC... just .45 C and .45 ACP... and well a few other .45 variants as well... but no such thing as .45 LC).

Anyway my point is to just buy the Ruger Vaquero... in .357 mag... especially since it is for the wifey.
How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).

Last edited by Southern Shark; July 22nd, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
1911cc

She wants the .45 C. Tried to steer her towards the .357 but no go. She shoots my 1911's with no problem so she figures the .45 Vaquero will be fine. If not I'll get her one in .357, she can shoot .38's in it, and I'll end up with a .45.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:47 AM
Executive Member

Quote:
She wants the .45 C. Tried to steer her towards the .357 but no go. She shoots my 1911's with no problem so she figures the .45 Vaquero will be fine. If not I'll get her one in .357, she can shoot .38's in it, and I'll end up with a .45.
Oh its totally manageable in 45 Colt. I just like the .357 better because it is a full power round, whereas the .45 Colt is a bit shy on horse power. I figure the .357 gives me more options and ammo is easier to obtain (and cheaper). You won't have any more recoil with standard .45 Colt than you would with .357 (if anything you will have less). Now full power .45 Colt is a different story, but factory ammo is light and easily manageable for everyone involved. Of course .38 special has even less recoil, but I usually shoot .357 in mine (although I don't do cowboy action shooting, and if I did I would probably use .38 special or might even go with the .45 Colt as your wife wants to do). I like the little push that .357 gives.... lets me know the gun went off.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:08 PM
1911cc

She says, "The old guns were .45 and that's what I want". Who am I to argue with that.

A local collector has John Waynes gun and holster rig that he used most of his career, the one with the tea stained grips and three finger grooves. She saw that and it just intensified her desire to have one. No doubt in my mind she'll have a real one before she's done.

Last edited by 1911cc; July 22nd, 2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

I do not know your wife's level of gun handling expertise, but in my own humble opinion anyone who is relatively inexperienced should stay away from a Colt SAA or clone. Uberti's have a small amount of fudge factor built in with their two notch base pin, but still......................
The hammer on one of these should never rest on a loaded cartridge, it is strictly "5 beans in the wheel."
Ruger Vaquero is probably the way to go.
I have two Uberti's, one Pietta, and five Rugers, but I've been doing this for many years.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:03 PM
1911cc

She shoots just about anything she can, except the Barret .50, she won't go near that one. She has handled various pistols from my 1911's down to a Ruger single action .22. She normally carries a S&W 442 or a 3913. I think with the basics laid out she'll do just fine.
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

I like revolvers chambered for 45 Colt, but ammo is expensive and hard to find. This is the whole reason I'm getting into reloading.
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:11 PM
1911cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
I like revolvers chambered for 45 Colt, but ammo is expensive and hard to find. This is the whole reason I'm getting into reloading.
Midway and Cheaper than dirt have it in stock for $33-35 per box of 50. As much as she will shoot this gun I don't think the ammo will break me up.
This won't be her primary carry piece so it won't be seeing the every 2 or 3 week refresher trip to the range she does now. I think it's just the novelty of having it.
Old July 24th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Midway and Cheaper than dirt have it in stock for $33-35 per box of 50. As much as she will shoot this gun I don't think the ammo will break me up.
This won't be her primary carry piece so it won't be seeing the every 2 or 3 week refresher trip to the range she does now. I think it's just the novelty of having it.
Have fun, but be aware, these pistols are as addictive as Mosin Nagants.
I started out years ago with one Single Six, and now have various brands/barrel lengths/calibers. Ranging from 22 to 44 magnum.