Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Mosins and Mausers

Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:42 AM
maverick

Default 8mm German Mauser ammo-1938!!!

Might be trading a guy for 7.62x39 (even trade)These are steel core ammo from 1938-should I pass on it?
Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Your Friendly Kraut
Administrator

Default Re: 8mm German Mauser ammo-1938!!!

I'd take it. I didn't know ammo from that era was steel core. Sounds similar to SS109 for the AR series.

Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby...
Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

SAC WILL BE BACK!

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sauer Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!
Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:29 PM
maverick

I didn't know that either! (Remember;He said it was,that may or may not be the case) I hope it is-wouldn't mind having some! The thing I am concerned about is a mis-sfire or it being weak or erratic in nature.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:13 PM
Executive Member

Don't if I had 38 stuff or not. But when I test fired a 98 the stuff I got at the store was old and if miss fired about every forth of fifth round.

The laws allow arms to be taken against an armed foe. Ovid
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:27 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

It's going to depend on how it was stored. A lot of the German ammo from that era hasn't been kept in anything like ideal conditions since the war ended.

If it was properly stored, though? I'm still shooting 1938 dated Turk stuff that Century was selling for about $.06/round back in the day. It still works just fine, and I wish I'd have bought another half ton or so of it!
Old December 2nd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Executive Member

I have some 1938 Greek 8mm ammo that is sure fire in most of my mausers. It does have hard primers so some of my mausers will misfire it.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 02:30 AM
maverick

The guy with it said it looks nickle plated and is very clean-he said it looks like new and didn't even realize how old it was until recently. He said he started out with 1200 rnds and has the 600 left. He claimed it never mis-fired once.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:07 AM
APIT

1938 is pre WW2 Ammo....... Quality is top because at that time the Ammo, -Brass, Primer, Bullet manufacturers were the real ones. Not like during WW2 were every metal company produced a little bit of everything. In fact i doubt you will have any trouble with that.

What color is the primer? green, black or red? If it's AP it has to be red. green is lead Ball. remember just that a magnet attracts german ammo doesn't mean it's AP as we use until today steel jacket nickel or tin plated bullets.
Old December 6th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Executive Member

If it was properly stored, though? I'm still shooting 1938 dated Turk stuff that Century was selling for about $.06/round back in the day. It still works just fine, and I wish I'd have bought another half ton or so of it!

Jefferson 101.

You and me both brother.

If it is 1938 in the blue bandoleer grab it and run.

karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARL View Post

Jefferson 101.

You and me both brother.

If it is 1938 in the blue bandoleer grab it and run.

karl

Yeah, the stuff with the tin plated bullets. I tell my Grandsons that I have Werewolf ammunition. Silver bullets!

I've not let them shoot any of it yet, though, or the later stuff, which is not tin plated, although the stripper clips are. The brass stripper clips work better, though. And be it noted that Mauser strippers work just fine for .308, too.

I still wish I had another 10k rounds of it. It is nice hot ammo. (I've chrono'd the '38 year date at about 3005 fps average, with a standard deviation of about 100 FPS.) Winchester White Box isn't any better than that, for deviation, and as far as velocity? Yes, it works just fine!

FWIW, my UPS guy hated me back then. He got to make too many 100# plus deliveries. If I saw him coming, I'd go help him carry it up onto the porch, but there were times that I either didn't see him or wasn't home......And I got a fair stack of the Turk 8mm stuff.

And it still works just fine. They must have kept it cool and underground.

Last edited by jefferson101; December 7th, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old December 21st, 2011, 01:46 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by APIT View Post
1938 is pre WW2 Ammo....... Quality is top because at that time the Ammo, -Brass, Primer, Bullet manufacturers were the real ones. Not like during WW2 were every metal company produced a little bit of everything. In fact i doubt you will have any trouble with that.

What color is the primer? green, black or red? If it's AP it has to be red. green is lead Ball. remember just that a magnet attracts german ammo doesn't mean it's AP as we use until today steel jacket nickel or tin plated bullets.
Just got them today,will shoot them next Tuesday. The bullets are silver (Tin,Nickel?) The primer is silver with perhaps green sealant? The case is brass with 19 on one side,38 on the other. Don't know where it came from-do I need to worry about it being corrosive?
Old December 21st, 2011, 07:58 AM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
Just got them today,will shoot them next Tuesday. The bullets are silver (Tin,Nickel?) The primer is silver with perhaps green sealant? The case is brass with 19 on one side,38 on the other. Don't know where it came from-do I need to worry about it being corrosive?
It's nothing to "worry" about, but it surely is corrosive.
Old December 21st, 2011, 12:39 PM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferson101 View Post
It's nothing to "worry" about, but it surely is corrosive.
Never shot corrosive ammo-read something about windex?
Old December 21st, 2011, 01:51 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Quote:
Never shot corrosive ammo-read something about windex?
Yep.

Short version goes this way: "Corrosive" ammo is corrosive because the primers include substances that produce nitrate salts when burned, and these salts get deposited in the bore of the weapon.

To get the salts out, you need water to dissolve them. Windex (or any blue glass cleaner) has that, plus some ammonia to break up any oil that the salts may have gotten deposited in, and which could shed water alone.

Simply wet a couple of patches with the Windex, and swab out the bore well. Then patch dry, and clean normally, using whatever you ordinarily would. I generally wipe down the face of the bolt and the chamber with a damp patch too, just to be on the safe side.

You do need to do this within a few hours after shooting the rifle. Even at 100% humidity, you aren't going to start rusting out that quickly, but don't wait a couple of days or a week. That's taking chances.

It's no big deal, and adds about 3 minutes to the whole cleaning process. The one imperative is that you clean it today if you shot it today.

Old December 22nd, 2011, 04:48 AM
maverick

Quote:
Yep.

Short version goes this way: "Corrosive" ammo is corrosive because the primers include substances that produce nitrate salts when burned, and these salts get deposited in the bore of the weapon.

To get the salts out, you need water to dissolve them. Windex (or any blue glass cleaner) has that, plus some ammonia to break up any oil that the salts may have gotten deposited in, and which could shed water alone.

Simply wet a couple of patches with the Windex, and swab out the bore well. Then patch dry, and clean normally, using whatever you ordinarily would. I generally wipe down the face of the bolt and the chamber with a damp patch too, just to be on the safe side.

You do need to do this within a few hours after shooting the rifle. Even at 100% humidity, you aren't going to start rusting out that quickly, but don't wait a couple of days or a week. That's taking chances.

It's no big deal, and adds about 3 minutes to the whole cleaning process. The one imperative is that you clean it today if you shot it today.

Thanks Jefferson!
Old December 22nd, 2011, 10:59 AM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

One note regarding corrosive ammunition.

It is wise to treat any U.S. or Western European ammunition manufactured before about 1970 as corrosive. Eastern Bloc surplus pretty much is all corrosive, and even any Russian Commercial ammo up to 2000 might be.

(I picked up several thousand rounds of 1999 production Wolf 7.62x54R at surplus prices because they discovered that they had screwed up and use corrosive primers in them.)

Better safe than sorry.
Old December 24th, 2011, 01:37 PM
maverick

Quote:
One note regarding corrosive ammunition.

It is wise to treat any U.S. or Western European ammunition manufactured before about 1970 as corrosive. Eastern Bloc surplus pretty much is all corrosive, and even any Russian Commercial ammo up to 2000 might be.

(I picked up several thousand rounds of 1999 production Wolf 7.62x54R at surplus prices because they discovered that they had screwed up and use corrosive primers in them.)

Better safe than sorry.
Thanks Jefferson!! I look forward to shooting the Mauser for the first time on Tuesday.(We will be celebrating Christmas day and going to the range so my 15 year old can try out his Mosin Nagant Christmas gift!)
Old January 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM
combfoot

if you want to know if the ammo is steel core, put a magnet to it. even if the primers dont ignite, a reloader would still take the bullets. They can pull the bullets out and reload.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Quote:
Thanks Jefferson!! I look forward to shooting the Mauser for the first time on Tuesday.(We will be celebrating Christmas day and going to the range so my 15 year old can try out his Mosin Nagant Christmas gift!)
Well? How did it go?

If you took your 15 year old out, you ought to be posting pictures down in the Junior Shooters forum, actually.

I know that two of my three Grandsons will be perfectly happy to be shooters as they grow up, and beyond. Assuming that I last another three years or so, the little guy will be, too.

He's already angry because his brothers get to go and he doesn't, but he's five, and my cutoff comes about seven years.

I've been buying at least three of everything, so that they can all have one....But that depends on them wanting it. There are Spam cans of ammo to go with most of the rifles and handguns, assuming that I don't need it to deal with the .Gov first.

Which is why I have to replace what we shoot. The canned stuff is for emergencies, or for someone else, whichever comes first.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:06 AM
maverick

We had a great time at the range! The Mosin kicked like a mule! I was amazed at how wonderful the Mauser was to shoot!
The ammo; I shot many rounds-didn't have any problems. My buddy went through about 15 rounds and three didn't fire.
I believe the guy was full of crap when he said "No misfires." To make matters worse I traded off some copper washed 7.62x39 for the rounds. I tried to do research before I traded them and didn't get the information until it was too late! (steel core) I felt sick to my stomach when I discovered my mistake and still do when I think about it. I guess everyone makes mistakes but DAMN!