Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Discussion > General Discussion

Old February 27th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Contributor
Moderator Token Forum Zombie

Default MARBLE MOUNTAIN....VIET NAM 1969

I received this in an email earlier today. As with most emails I have no idea how much truth is in it. I just wanted to say that up front so that no one will think I'm saying this event is factual. ~ Reb

Seaboard World DC-8 Lands and Takes Off At Marble Mountain Vietnam

A Seaboard World DC-8 landed by mistake at Marble Mountain Army Airfield at 2am in the morning. They had been cleared to land at Danang Main but landed at Marble instead.

This from a guy that worked at Trans International Airlines. Names have been removed:

Note Mohawk in fore ground.

Those of us in country in 1969 remember this incident well, but here it is on film. This DC-8 was cleared to land at Da Nang but mistakenly ID'd Marble Mountain as DaNang. It's way too small for large aircraft and all advice was to disassemble the aircraft and ship it home. The takeoff isn't as astounding as the landing at nite!! That must have been a real miracle to get that big, loaded slug stopped in the few thousand feet that was Marble Mt. I'll bet they never did find that pilot's seat cushion!!

My sister is the little blond flight attendant in this Super 8MM footage shot by a GI in 1969.

This event is pretty well know history among the "Non Sked" flight crews flying the MAC charters in and out of Viet Nam but I had no idea it had been filmed. Marcia found it recently.

What's interesting is, once Seaboard World Flight offices got the word on what happened, they contacted Douglas Aircraft Corp for advise...Douglas said "take it apart and ship it home".

FAA said the same thing..........you can see from this footage how the flight crew handled the matter.

Enjoy a little history.

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Executive Member

Default Re: MARBLE MOUNTAIN....VIET NAM 1969

Not only did he make it, he had alot of room to spare.

BISHOP
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Executive Member

I once landed in a C-130 on a less than 1,000 ft. runway on the top of a little mountain close to the Cambodian border. I'll tell 'ya, those pilots were good. We came in near to straight down, flared up, touched down and ended up with the nose wheel at the end of the dirt runway. The pilots of the plane in the video were ballsy indeed.
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

Call me dramatic but I picture the pilot as having a cigar clenched tight in his teeth.