Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Discussion > General Discussion

Old February 5th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Contributor
Moderator Token Forum Zombie

Default Wanted by the FBI: One Highly Successful Serial Bank Robber

Wanted by the FBI: One Highly Successful Serial Bank Robber

Federal authorities are seeking the public's help in identifying a serial bank robber known as the "I-35 Bandit," who has held up several financial institutions along the highway in Texas.

They say the man is suspected in at least 15 holdups that have occurred along the Interstate 35 corridor between Waco, Austin and San Antonio, Texas, as far back as 2003.

"It is bizarre. It's not unheard of [but] it is a rarity," Special Agent Erik Vasys of the FBI's San Antonio Field Office told AOL News.

According to the FBI, the I-35 Bandit is a takeover-style robber. He enters banks armed with a gun and takes everyone inside hostage while he stuffs the stolen cash into a black bag that he carries with him.

"We're looking at a different type of robber who has definitely studied what it takes to be successful," Vasys said. "He strikes [and then] there's time that passes between when he hits [again]. He's selecting his banks based on different criteria, on unique criteria."

This composite photograph shows the different looks of the I-35 Bandit.

The robber always wears disguises -- fake beards, hair, hats, sunglasses and gloves -- that obscure his face and features. But he can only dress up so many different ways.

"He's very stocky," Vasys said. "If you know him, you're going to recognize him. It's just [a matter] of getting the right exposure. For someone to say, 'You know what, I think I know this guy.' "

According to the FBI, none of the robberies has turned violent so far, but the I-35 Bandit is aggressive and considered extremely dangerous.

Here are a few details about the serial robber provided by the bureau.

He is white, middle-aged and probably about 5 feet 6 inches tall.
He is broad-shouldered and appears to be athletic; during one robbery, a security camera caught him easily vaulting a counter with one hand.
He has no distinguishable accent but is likely a Texan, judging from his knowledge of state roads and how he picks his targets.
He chooses remote, out-of-the-way branches that typically don't have a lot of customers.
He typically uses stolen, late-model cars and stolen license plates.
In some of the robberies, he has worn fake white beards, drawing comparisons to the lead singer for the rock band ZZ Top and also to Santa Claus.

"Most bank robberies are solved by witnesses, a mistake made in the bank or a good photo," Vasys said. "In this case, he's striking in a specific geographical area. So, you throw the dice. Does he live in the area or is he outside the state? We don't know, but we're confident somebody knows this guy."

The FBI says the man is also bold. He was once spotted putting on a fake beard while he was driving down a Texas road, authorities say. A schoolteacher became suspicious and called 911. The man started waving a handgun at her and sped off. Later that day, a nearby bank was robbed.

"Interesting mentality to think, 'I may as well do it now,' " Vasys said. "It might say something about the guy."

Bank robbers are typically spontaneous and have poor impulse control. They usually expose themselves to law enforcement one way or another, and eventually get caught. So far, the I-35 Bandit has broken the mold, but authorities do not think he will stop anytime soon.

"He's not quitting," Vasys said. "There is a reason why he started in 2003 and why he is still going."

If he is caught, the bandit faces up to eight years in prison on each of the gun charges and up to 20 years behind bars for each robbery.

"Depending on how the U.S. Attorney's Office groups it, and whether he has a previous record, he could get 30 [years] to life," Vasys said.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the FBI at 210-225-6741. There is a reward for original information leading to the identification, arrest and conviction of the I-35 Bandit.

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Executive Member

Default Re: Wanted by the FBI: One Highly Successful Serial Bank Robber

Bank Robbery ...

100% pure adrenalin!

Tree Hugging Warmonger
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Executive Member

Personally, I feel the part about the thirty years to life is a little bit of a steep price to pay for the quick cash and the adrenalin rush. But, that is just me.

Zombies man...they creep me out. - Dennis Hopper
Old February 5th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Executive Member

Oh he'll screw up and end up dying in a hale of bullets.
Old February 5th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Pete View Post
Oh he'll screw up and end up dying in a hale of bullets.
I don't know of one high profile bank robber who hasn't gotten caught.

... Eventually.

It's not your average 9-5 gig with benefits. The more you push it, sooner or later your house is going to come crashing down around you. Either you wind up behind bars, or dead on the sidewalk amidst the colored smoke of a dye pack.

You have to know when to quit.

Tree Hugging Warmonger
Old February 5th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Great Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceNRALife View Post
Personally, I feel the part about the thirty years to life is a little bit of a steep price to pay for the quick cash and the adrenalin rush. But, that is just me.
Petty you might say.....
Especially when you consider the Trillions and Trillions ripped off from US People by the Banking Bailouts!

Those are the people We need to go after.
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Executive Member

The really funny part is most bank robberies don't net that much money, a few thousand at most. After 15 bank robberies I bet he's gotten less than $100,000 total, if he gets just 30 years he's made $3,333.33 for each year in the pen or less. NOT exactly good wages even for the little time worked.
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Contributor
Moderator Token Forum Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceNRALife View Post
I feel the same way. I've been booed for saying so several times.

But I'd much rather see someone rob a bank than rob a private individual or business.

To me a bank robbery is pretty much a victimless crime as long as someone doesn't get hurt. Unless you count the stress on tellers and other bank employees during the robbery that is. Or unless you count the Federal Government or Federal Reserve as a victim. Which I do not.

Ever since banks became insured by FDIC (Fed) then who gets hurt by it. More new money is simply printed to replace the money stolen. Of course if banks were robbed all over the country on a regular basis, eventually all that extra printed money could have an effect on the overall economy and the value of the dollar. But that's not likely to happen.

Heck the government prints billions of dollars of new money all the time to pay their debts. Which is a bad idea. It's called monetizing the debt and it can and will eventually crash the economy. But a bank robber at most is usually just a few thousand bucks or less as TreverSlyFox stated.

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited by Reb; February 6th, 2011 at 12:53 AM.