Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Main Battle Rifles

Old August 20th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Executive Member

Default Which 308 AR would you buy? Why?

Considering magazine price and other factors such as rifle quality. I think I'd like to retire my bolt action 308 and try one of these since accuracy claims are outstanding.

Careful who you kick on your way up, they'll kick you twice on your way down!
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:22 AM
Executive Member

Default Re: Which 308 AR would you buy? Why?

Tough call. I see the disadvantage of all of them being reliability. I guess if I was going to buy one it would be Armalite. But I dunno that I'd actually buy one for sure.
How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:59 AM
Executive Member

Icon41 Re: Which 308 AR would you buy? Why?

Armalite. Been around for a long time, I have heard positive comments from friends.
Old August 21st, 2009, 05:50 AM
wayne in boca

I bought a DPMS LR308AP4 about a year and a half ago,after a lot of research.It is absolutely 100% reliable and accurate,and has quickly become one of my favorite rifles.
Old August 21st, 2009, 07:01 AM
Executive Member

My Springfield M1A Loaded has been totally reliable and dead nuts accurate.

I like the platform a lot more than the AR, and I am sticking with it.

Also in my gun safe is a very good M1A SOCOM 16. Keeping it as well

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Old August 21st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Contributor

For me it would be the one that uses the NEW FAL mags that DSA is making them for. They are making 20, 25, and 30 rounders that work both in the FAL and a AR platform.

Getting mags that work are over 50% of the problem most have. With DSA making the mags they will not be as cheap as regular FAL mags, but they WILL be cheaper than the screwing others have with their pricing. Anyone price mags lately from Reed Knight?
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk45 View Post
For me it would be the one that uses the NEW FAL mags that DSA is making them for. They are making 20, 25, and 30 rounders that work both in the FAL and a AR platform.

Getting mags that work are over 50% of the problem most have. With DSA making the mags they will not be as cheap as regular FAL mags, but they WILL be cheaper than the screwing others have with their pricing. Anyone price mags lately from Reed Knight?
Linky?? I could not find it on their website.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Contributor

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=255103

Found it on FALFILES as they announced them there.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:18 PM
BOLTRIPPER

Icon44 Re: Which 308 AR would you buy? Why?

the smack-daddy of all the stock-out-off-the-box gassers i have ever owned is the AR-10T with a jp fire control group.....feed it match ammo and it is hard to beat when one drives it smartly.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Executive Member

I have the AR10A4 and its light, accurate but the cost might slow you down a bit. You can get the 10T upper for more accurate shooting, but the carbine does very well. you have the availability to add all the high tech stuff if you wish, just like with any AR platform. But remember you just end up shooting more ammo faster.
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:12 PM
combfoot

Icon29 Re: Which 308 AR would you buy? Why?

A few years back I did a work week of reading to determine my main battle rifle. As .308 is a NATO round, with good balistics and fairly common (thus surplus), I went with this caliber. The ballistics can be debated for hunting, target, etc.,. but this is a good all around caliber with a lot of choices of bullet types. The M1 Springfields are nice, but to get a stainless steel heavy barrel and synthetic stock, your looking at around $2200. Note, my prices maybe a but out of date. The DPMS I got (I did a brief review on this forum, search for it) was just under $1200 new. I dont want to turn this into a AR vs M1 debate, but the AR's have a lot of after market accessories, and are probably just a bit more accurate out of the box. Most stock M1 need some bedding to get the 1" accuracy. The AR versions do not need extra work. One additional benefit to the AR DPMS is that you can change the upper receiver for different roles, ex short barrel vs long, and various calibers. The uppers arent pocket change, but cheaper than a new rifle. I have $150 Buschnell scope on my DPMS and it shoots 1 MOA. It made my bolt action obsolete.

Overall any choice you make will be a good one. Manufacturing with most companies are very good, it comes down to style and price.
Old August 29th, 2009, 12:42 PM

I bought a couple of DPMS .308 rifles for a couple of different reasons. The most important reason was that there were some available, along with mags and other parts. I originally had picked out the 26" Rock River Arms, but have still never actually seen one. Too late to sell me one now. There have been very few ArmaLite rifles in this area at all, and did not find a model I wanted.

Another big reason is the price, a good rifle at a good price. I guess they are the "Savage" of AR rifles. American made, accurate, dependable, not expensive compared to the other brands.

The Washington Government's Military is buying their rifles, so I guess they pass their testing and requirements.

The biggest complaint you might have about DPMS is that the surfaces on their trigger group is rough. I polished mine with a Q-tip chucked up in an electric drill with some lapping compound on the cotton. It is a good trigger once the surfaces are smoothed out.

I do wish that I had an ejection port cover (they have that available now) and that the rail on the receiver was lower (they sell some with a lower rail now) but I am not complaining about the rifle over all.
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:23 AM
addecus

I would and did go with Armalite. Although at the time I had to settle for one of the clone(generic) lower receivers to complete my build. Every thing else on the rifle is Armalite. When I take delivery of the lower receiver that has been on order from Armalite for almost a year now, I'll build another one.
Old October 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Executive Member

Ther Armalite and Stoner are good guns, but DPMS seems to have done the best job of getting parts and accessories to the market and assuring the compatibility of their parts with what could be standardized.

I think when all of this does eventually settle out, the DPMS pattern is going to be the prevailing design for .308 ARs.

Something else to look at if you are really going to fix the gun up is the FN SCAR-H. The SCAR-H has a hefty price tag, but comes with everything standard that you would expect to be adding to the other rifles except the optics. It does come with a decent set of flip-up iron sights and is likely to remain a current design for quite a long time.
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Ther Armalite and Stoner are good guns, but DPMS seems to have done the best job of getting parts and accessories to the market and assuring the compatibility of their parts with what could be standardized.

I think when all of this does eventually settle out, the DPMS pattern is going to be the prevailing design for .308 ARs.

Something else to look at if you are really going to fix the gun up is the FN SCAR-H. The SCAR-H has a hefty price tag, but comes with everything standard that you would expect to be adding to the other rifles except the optics. It does come with a decent set of flip-up iron sights and is likely to remain a current design for quite a long time.
Still have not seen a SCAR Heavy .308.

Finally saw a SCAR Light 5.56 mm for the first time, there was only one, and it was priced at $3,500. The dealer that had that one said that there would not be another shipment leaving the factory until January. (All going to the Military, or working out bugs?)
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:54 AM
Executive Member

I think what is really happening with the SCAR, the Remingon ACR and the new Sig assault rifles (yeah yeah, semiauto sporing rifles..), is the dealers are pretty hesitant to stock them when the chances are the only real buyers are the really savvy assault rifle connoisseurs who also know how to just fondle it at the shop and then order through someone online or in Shotgun news for a transfer fee without paying much (if any) profit margin to the shop owner who actually went through the trouble to stock the rifle. I am still on a few "dealer only" mailing lists and the high end stuff is very much out there, just not in big numbers, but if you want it and got the money, it can happen.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Executive Member

I just gotta say it.... KelTec!!

The KelTec RFB.
If I had the $$ to blow I would SO grab one. Everything seems promising. They keep saying that they spent alot of $$ on development and that this is their "Cadallac" the gun they will be known for in the historic record (parapharsing).

BISHOP
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM
pahapoika

2nd on the RFB, but their scarce
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
guncrazy

RRA LAR8, takes FAL mags, enough said-http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_ID=254
Old November 28th, 2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
I think what is really happening with the SCAR, the Remingon ACR and the new Sig assault rifles (yeah yeah, semiauto sporing rifles..), is the dealers are pretty hesitant to stock them when the chances are the only real buyers are the really savvy assault rifle connoisseurs who also know how to just fondle it at the shop and then order through someone online or in Shotgun news for a transfer fee without paying much (if any) profit margin to the shop owner who actually went through the trouble to stock the rifle. I am still on a few "dealer only" mailing lists and the high end stuff is very much out there, just not in big numbers, but if you want it and got the money, it can happen.
Price is not the only consideration, of course, but I was just thinking that I could buy three complete DPMS rifles, and the six mags that three rifles would come with, for the same price as one SCAR.

That might influence some folks in their decision process.

On the other hand, what are they building those SCAR rifles out of? Those gold plated titanium bricks the international banks are dealing in?