Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Pistols and Revolvers

Old September 21st, 2016, 06:12 AM
Executive Member

Default Smallest traditional DA pistol?

I'd like to find something smaller than my Beretta PX4 subcompact if there is such an animal. Seems this action is falling out of favor so what I want vs whats available might be a mile apart. I'd prefer nothing smaller than 9mm para.
Old September 21st, 2016, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Smallest traditional DA pistol?

XDS 45 auto just about same size as my PPK/S and a little larger than the PPK. 100% pleeeezed and I am hard to please

Krink
Old September 21st, 2016, 11:08 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkov View Post
XDS 45 auto just about same size as my PPK/S and a little larger than the PPK. 100% pleeeezed and I am hard to please

Krink
I've considered the XDM 9mm. I like the frame safety and the 19 rounds.... I bet the .45 is sweet.

But for CCW... I like revolvers.
How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:45 AM

Revolver for me would be mod19 snub 357 Mag or 686 model.. Python is real nice also in 2.5 barrel... Krink
Old September 23rd, 2016, 03:32 AM
Executive Member

I have a 638 Airweight but lately depending where I'm roaming, I'm not sure I am comfortable with a five shot revolver thats both difficult to shoot wel and slow to reload. I prefer traditional DA/SA pistols as they allow me a bit of extra brain fart room than most striker fired or single actions pistols provide. I have Kahr Pm9, a Walther PPS, with there were such a thing as a hammer drop DA in their size and width.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 02:11 PM
Executive Member

Makarov
Old September 23rd, 2016, 03:54 PM
Executive Member

Icon18 Re: Smallest traditional DA pistol?

Makarov and/or P64; suitably resprung(Wolff Gunsprings).
Old September 23rd, 2016, 07:01 PM

Sold my Makarov collection years ago. I only really miss my afghan bringback rig. mint cond. complete. its sitting in some Chicago collection now.

the east German and Chinese rig and polish long gone. funny thing after I sold those off I had guys who knew I had the stuff for years asking you selling now?YES Already sold and shipped.

Krink
Old September 23rd, 2016, 09:26 PM
Executive Member

I still carry my EG and my P64 regularly. I'd like to score another Makarov,or another Polish 9x18. I LIKE the P64, but am also(very!) interested in a P83(provided I could also score at least a few spare magazines).
Old September 24th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Executive Member

Sig P938 is a very tiny package. SAO though.

I thought you really liked the PX4?

-- Benjamin Franklin
Old September 25th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Executive Member

Its a really good pistol, one of the best I've owned but its a fat, heavy little sucker. I'd love a DA in the size and weight range of a SW Shield, Walther PPS etc. I really didn't notice the weight and width of the Storm until I began using it for daily carry. After months of toting it, not even coming close to using it for its intended purpose, I begin wishing it was lighter weight and maybe at least somewhat narrower. Its a fat little pug ugly, the way it works and shoots, its smooth action are what earns its keep. Guess that's the way I am, always wishing for something different, a better mouse trap. I'm currrently carrying one of my PPS', a fine pistol in its own right, perfectly sized but NOT the DA/SA that I prefer.
Old September 25th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Executive Member

Taurus and Keltec have a few options that fit that bill. They don't hold up well to very much shooting, but for something carried more than shot they work.

Third generation S&W autos were probably the very best of the DA/SA breed of the mid to late 1980s. I think for the most part not made after 2010, but mostly gone from gun shop shelves by 2005. The subcompact 13 shot models can be shaved down a bit for slightly better concealment. Those things last forever, especially the steel frame police models, but eve the aluminum frame ones are pretty sturdy. My main reason for never doing much custom work on them was that they never needed it.
Old September 25th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Executive Member

Well Kahr always fit my hand best, and the steel ones should hold up well but it is anybody's guess which one will work for you. The steel Kahr is a bit heavy, but nice and slim. Try them out at a gun store, at least hold them, and make your best pick. S&W, XDS, Kahr, etc...

If you like Beretta's, they make the Nano thing, ugly but it might shoot good. I have never tried one.
How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).
Old September 26th, 2016, 06:54 PM
Executive Member

I actually like the steel frame T-series. Would love to run one down in 9mm,.40 or .45ACP.
Call it an " American Makarov".
Old September 28th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Shark View Post

But for CCW... I like revolvers.
Yea.....I keep gravitating back to my SP101 Ruger for CCW. Not sure why.....but I do it!! Hefty little thing, but maybe that is why I am confident with it......

And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)
Old September 29th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
Yea.....I keep gravitating back to my SP101 Ruger for CCW. Not sure why.....but I do it!! Hefty little thing, but maybe that is why I am confident with it......

https://youtu.be/lX0MB7pJtKs
Old May 4th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Executive Member

I have a bunch of carry pistols and revolvers........but my all-time favorite is my Hi Power. Boy does that thing carry nice. I use a summer special clone IWB by El Paso Saddlery.

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.
Old May 6th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Third generation S&W autos were probably the very best of the DA/SA breed of the mid to late 1980s. I think for the most part not made after 2010, but mostly gone from gun shop shelves by 2005. The subcompact 13 shot models can be shaved down a bit for slightly better concealment. Those things last forever, especially the steel frame police models, but eve the aluminum frame ones are pretty sturdy.
A DA/SA single-stack 9mm 39xx Lady Smith is pretty sleek. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/642903335