Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Member Services > Technical Support

Old February 9th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Executive Member

Default Antique PC.......

I still have my first PC, an antique E-machine.......I thought I would dig it out and play with a bit. It has Windows 98 on it. Curious to just see it again!

But I no longer have the old "tube" type CRT monitor that came with it anymore. And hooked up with an LCD screen, nothing shows up. Do I NEED the old CRT monitor for it to work, or is there a way to work around this?
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)
Old February 9th, 2017, 04:58 PM
Executive Member

Default Re: Antique PC.......

After thinking about it, I most likely answered my own question...........

But if anyone has ANY ideas..............
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)
Old February 9th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Executive Member

Actually it should work. Odds are the video sub-system(video card) either is dead, or cannot support the resolution that the monitor runs at. Some things you can do is look to see if the monitor power light is green with no video or amber with no video. If green with no video, then possible bad monitor, if amber and no video, then most likely bad video card (some are built in to motherboard, and others are separate cards). Not sure it would be worth purchasing an older video card off ebay to get it up and running if that is even an option.
AC0XV
Old February 9th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Executive Member

CRT monitors are a dime a dozen these days, they are dirt cheap in second hand shops. I tried to give 5 away last year without any luck. It is possible that your computer does not have a suitable driver for a newer flat screen monitor.
arkyboy
Old February 9th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkyboy View Post
CRT monitors are a dime a dozen these days, they are dirt cheap in second hand shops. I tried to give 5 away last year without any luck. It is possible that your computer does not have a suitable driver for a newer flat screen monitor.
arkyboy

I may need to try this route, and open my own museum shop!!! I gave away that heavy old CRT for a reason........now I need to pay for a USED one!!!!

Old February 9th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Executive Member

Lol! I have a couple left here that you can have for the shipping cost, but that would probably be considerably more than you could find one for locally.
arkyboy
Old February 10th, 2017, 09:01 AM
Your Friendly Kraut
Administrator

New LCD monitors are dirt cheap too. You couldn't touch a similar sized CRT for nearly as cheap as an LCD brand new.

Peace is our Profession, War is just a Hobby...
Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command

SAC WILL BE BACK!

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!
Old February 11th, 2017, 07:44 PM
Executive Member

As I said Walther, I hooked it up to an LCD monitor.......apparently the graphics card was looking for the old CRT monitor.......

Would NOT work.........
Old February 23rd, 2017, 04:41 PM
Executive Member

Do you see anything at all? A lot of the CRT monitors had odd refresh rates an LCD cannot display.
If you do see the screen start to come up, hit f8 when you see starting windows. Choose vga mode and if it boots it will display on an lcd. You can change the refresh rate and reboot. LCD's work best around 60hz.
Also the e-machines were notorious for bad power supplies. It could be on without enough power to boot.