Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Member Services > Technical Support

Old September 17th, 2017, 19:35
Executive Member

Default Re: Windows 7 64 bit "this copy of windows is not genuine

i5-4570 CPU 3.2 GHz with 8Gig ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Graphics Card
2 1Tbyte HD
Asus Xonar DG Aidio Card

Not top of the line I know but does what I want. I am to the point of doing a dual boot with linux but am undecided on which version to use. Ubunto and Mint seem to be the most popular. Which one is the easiest to dual boot?

The laws allow arms to be taken against an armed foe. Ovid
Old September 18th, 2017, 01:36
Grouchy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah1g View Post
2 1Tbyte HD
Asus Xonar DG Aidio Card

Not top of the line I know but does what I want. I am to the point of doing a dual boot with linux but am undecided on which version to use. Ubunto and Mint seem to be the most popular. Which one is the easiest to dual boot?
good hardware and not much slower than a mid-range intel i5 today. Ubunto or Mint, both make for a good linux starter distribution.
Old September 18th, 2017, 10:35
Executive Member

Mint lists 5 different versions. KDE, xfce, mate, cinnamon and snoya. What is the difference?

The laws allow arms to be taken against an armed foe. Ovid
Old September 18th, 2017, 12:18
Executive Member

I am using Mint "LMDE". It is Debian based as opposed to Ubuntu. With the Ubuntu version, I could not get drivers for my printer. Plus LMDE has no "shelf life". The Ubuntu versions are only supported for a few years. Then you need to install the newer version, if that is what you want. But that is a pain...........

I also use "Cinnamon". It is a lot prettier graphics wise, but will use more resources to operate well. With the specs you have listed, it should run well!!!!

The Debian version is on the bottom. As you see........the Ubuntu versions are almost getting to the end of their shelf life. Debian has none..........

https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Last edited by Led; September 18th, 2017 at 12:35.
Old September 18th, 2017, 12:55
Executive Member

Quote:
2 1Tbyte HD
Asus Xonar DG Aidio Card

I have not successfully done a "dual boot" with Windows 10 yet. It makes sure you NEVER see your Linux ever again.........even if it is still on the disk. They have what is seemingly an unbeatable booting menu. No matter what I did, Windows booted, and I wasn't even given the choice between booting one or the other, of the two OS's.........

It is like it just takes over every computer, it touches.........that is why I have two separate boxes, which is a pain in the butt in itself..........
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)
Old September 18th, 2017, 13:20
Grouchy Moderator

Quote:
Mint lists 5 different versions. KDE, xfce, mate, cinnamon and snoya. What is the difference?
They use different window managers and have different looks. Go for Cinnamon. If you had a weaker system then xfce is best as it uses a lot less resources.
Old September 18th, 2017, 13:22
Grouchy Moderator

As long as 10 is installed first then linux it will take care of it no problem as long as secure boot is turned off in the bios.