Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > AR and M Series

Old January 9th, 2017, 09:54 PM
Contributor

Default Colt to release a new version of the AR15A1. Price?

Please sit down before you see the price........

http://taskandpurpose.com/colt-bring...paign=tp-today

Now, I see a good many comments about the M16A1 being junk. I think the rifle was well made and I personally love them. The powder issue, not the fault of Colt or ArmaLite lead to adding the forward assist to ensure you have a stoppage you cannot clear, and some other changes along with a life long bad reputation. Some good, like the chrome lined chamber and bore, some not so much. I like this rifle! Simple, light, accurate. For $1400 less, I'd buy this rifle. I guess I will wait for CDNN to blow all but six of them out after they buy Colt's inventory in 24 months due to non sale.

My first M16A1 was a GM Hydromatic in basic training. FT Knox, KY in 1989. That crazy thing had seen some use but she was accurate and I never had a stoppage/FTF. We used junk magazines and had not clue what the hell we were doing. Drowned them in oil, filled them with dirt low crawling, rain, mud, and no idea how to properly use or clean the thing other than vague suggestions in the form of a scream from a drill sergeant who did not know shiite about the M16 himself but made it appear as if he were a SME. My personal M16 is a PAWS by Oly Arms. Modern top ends but my favorite has been M16 (not A1) upper and the 10.3" pencil barrel Colt carbine upper. I have shot a lot of garbage ammo over the years without major issues.
So, am I your man Mr. Dumbass? The name, is Dumaas!
Old January 9th, 2017, 11:52 PM
Executive Member

Default Re: Colt to release a new version of the AR15A1. Price?

I will gladly pay that for an authentic legal M16A1.

However, I suspect that this is just an AR-15. In which case the price is about $1500 too high. $900 and it would be a winner.
How miserable that man is that governs a People where six parts of seven at least are poor, indebted, discontented, and armed. - William Berkley... Royal Governor of the Colony of Virginia (1670'ish).
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:17 AM
Executive Member

Colt is trying to steal customers from Mitchell's Mausers.
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:49 AM
Executive Member

MY SP, about as close to an M16 as I'll ever own, is in my opinion, the best AR-15 ever. Before they tried to turn them into a one rifle does all, before they added 5 pounds of weight, before they had all sorts of junk bolted on them, back when they just ran and ran and ran. We had none of the can't do without magic lubes, we used what we had, usually 3 in 1 oil and they still ran. Mine is not super accurate but it is more than capable of ruining a targets day to at least 300 meters, about as far as I think the 5.56 is good for. I've had perhaps 1/2 dozen malfunctions that I can recall, none were of the type that caused me to worry about repeat episodes. Started off with 20 round magazines, seems these worked just fine without new follower designs every few years. People speak of the improvements made in these rifles over the years, I can't see it. More versatile maybe, improved as to function and combat accuracy? I'll argue with that. No I won't pay 2000 bucks or more for another, my home built rifles run well too but at the same time, I would not sell my SP for 2000 either. I worked and saved money for a year to buy mine at WAL-Mart, paid IIRC 315 bucks, it was by far the most expensive long gun Wal-Mart sold. A good friend had mine borrowed or it would have been stolen with everything else a few years ago, NEVER been so glad I had something loaned out!!
Old January 10th, 2017, 12:55 PM

LOL! The G.I. in the article's picture has a cleaning brush jammed into the forward sling swivel!

$2500 MSRP to trade in nostalgia? The target audience is probably the same guys that buy the 'gold plated' Thompson's and 1911's.
Old January 10th, 2017, 03:48 PM

Well I am putting up two original SP-1 on gun broker this week.a 66 date and a 73 date. new with box. I bet they will both sell to the right people. Since Colt maybe putting these out but they are not making the SP-1 anymore.The real deal from back in the day.not many that old still out there new anymore, I just took them out of the safe and looked them over again..WOW the memories. and they ain't finding none better.My 73 is till NAM ERA with a Colt letter which makes it nice.

Krink
p.s. glad Colt decided to do this the youngins can see what they missed. UPDATE A buddy in town bought the 66 date. now just the 73 left. the last of the mighty pile of stuff.

Last edited by krinkov; January 15th, 2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old January 11th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Executive Member

Icon36 Re: Colt to release a new version of the AR15A1. Price?

I would pay $ 1200 all day long for this rifle but $2500 is too much
"Then out spoke brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate. To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods"
Old January 11th, 2017, 06:04 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlung View Post
I would pay $ 1200 all day long for this rifle but $2500 is too much
I agree. They still have the machining to do the barrels and upper receivers. The furniture? VERY cheap to reproduce today.

Heck......maybe they HAVE all this stuff on the shelves already from long ago. And just wish to clean out inventory. So their initial investment is minimal........at "nostalgia's" expense.

They should cost no more, than any other AR in my opinion. How many Nam Vets are still wanting one? And the "tacticool" crowd won't even look at it!!!!
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Last edited by Led; January 11th, 2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old January 13th, 2017, 10:00 PM
Contributor

They probably found a rail car full of barreled receivers!
So, am I your man Mr. Dumbass? The name, is Dumaas!
Old January 14th, 2017, 10:32 AM
Contributor

We gave a bunch of M-16A1/2s to Lithuanians and other countries in support for the GWOT. Maybe they will sell them back?
I have a Right to my Life; I have a Right to the Fruits of my Labor. If you concede the principle of the Income Tax, you concede the principle that the government owns ALL your income and permits you to keep a certain percentage of it.
─Ron Paul, interview by Time on Sep 17, 2009.
Old January 14th, 2017, 04:58 PM
Executive Member

We must have left a million in Nam...and I recall my ole plt leader telling us to take care of the rifle ( m-16E1)as it cost the Corps $125 in 69... as the man said one born every minute.
karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.
Old January 14th, 2017, 06:13 PM

Everything tooled up brand new, There are no vast rail cars sitting at Colt with parts and hand guards and grip's..and stock's much was sold off and later even destroyed once sold to other sources.. Back in the early 90's.a supplier well known in the armory circle's.. had get this part of his back receiving area parking lot tarred over with crushed hand guards and stocks and grips surplus.I know I ran over it when there.

And asked whats up with that? he said when it rained it got pretty muddy back there for deliveries and shipping. so we just emptied the conus containers of the ones we had crushed them up and flattened them.. Muddy area solved.

It was just plain nuts to me walked back there and found new stuff crushed up in the lot. He also had one Million grease gun mags M3A1 45 cal in drums.And drums of chopped up Thompson's. the mags at that time were about 5 bucks each. blue new in wrapper.

I said pretty good deal.. he mentioned yep they cost me a buck each. so take a van full if you want them..

Now today all sold off. and people are paying more bucks for the stuff. A barrel of greasgun flash hiders by the pound. And drums 50 round just rusting in bins'/ the deal was you clean them and oil them. by the freaking pound.most rotor keys were missing so for me no deal.

The best one a pile In crates of 10,000 hk 33 Alum mags. and 1,000 swiss Sig mod 57 bayonet's. Today there is surplus around the globe still around you just have to find it. Like the MP-44'S in Syria. and the few cases of German MP-38'S That went from Greece to Libya.

Krink
Old January 14th, 2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARL View Post
We must have left a million in Nam...and I recall my ole plt leader telling us to take care of the rifle ( m-16E1)as it cost the Corps $125 in 69... as the man said one born every minute.
karl
Karl well over 25 years ago I had the faxes sent over of the inventory from that era to buy the stuff. when the guy said will fax you the list my machine ran out of rolled paper.Not sure even the gov. had that list. it was inventoried and sat in five different parts of the country even brand new huey choppa engines still in crates.

and Ontos and M-60 tanks.the guy said the mini guns had heavy rust. since they had been outside for 20 years. but the M-16's and M-79's and 1911a1's are still in crates.Along with crates of M1 carbines and 1918a2 b.a.r.'s.the mudder lode for sure. I could not touch or get one thing all stolen us gov prop.Did not even bother with a import permit at the time. Repub of Nam. ho chi city, Saigon, Danang off limits.

One 45 auto would have been great. since I sold my bring back. 15 years before.

GOOD TIMES Krink
Old January 14th, 2017, 09:04 PM
Executive Member

Kink sir wish I knew you back than! I also recall seeing cases of m 14 mags just rusting !!
Would have been nice if they had let us buy a M 14! I would have gone for my old M 16 e1 but even back than I knew uncle would not allow that. Oh well, least I got in on the last milsup run in the 90s. Perhaps Trump will lift some Bush Obama EOS. :-)
Karl

http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.
Old January 15th, 2017, 01:27 PM

Karl a end of a era for much of the stuff now, its been spread around the planet.

Others can enjoy for the unforeseen future.

Krink