Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > Junior Shooters

Old December 29th, 2016, 01:29 AM

Default Teaching my young brother the art of shooting.

Hi,

I promised my younger brother that I will teach him shooting in 2017. I told him last year just to shut him up. But, now it has come time.

I was thinking about buying him an airsoft gun first, an almost replica of my rifle gun, like this model. https://mach1airsoft.com/product/aps...-sniper-rifle/ He has a habit of dropping the activities in between, so I think let him play with an airsoft gun to practice aim first. If he is really interested then, I can allow him to touch my rifle.

Do you think teaching with airsoft rifles would help? He is only 12, so I think that would be wise.

Share your thoughts.
Old December 29th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Executive Member

Default Re: Teaching my young brother the art of shooting.

In my opinion, an airsoft gun has limited value in training. My reason for saying this is that they are, as a rule, insufficiently accurate. You want him to learn good techniques, and the only way to measure proper technique - reinforce good technique and discourage bad technique - is a continuous evaluation of accuracy for EVERY shot.

You haven't said exactly what sort of shooting he intends to do, but I would recommend a decent-quality air rifle (if your intention is to teach him rifle shooting). Something like a Daisy Avanti target rifle:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Daisy_...vanti_753S/144

Good sights, good trigger, accuracy. Everything needed to teach him the fundamentals. And you can shoot it in the back yard, or even in the basement with a good pellet trap.

Of course he may need instruction, so the absolutely worst thing to do would be to give him the rifle and a supply of pellets and turn him loose on his own. All he would do is teach himself a bunch of bad habits.

Do you know anyone who ever competed in formal target matches, of maybe high power rifle matches?

(I will say, however, that I sometimes shoot an airsoft 1911 replica, practicing my draw and the sweeping off of the safety. But I'm not worrying about real accuracy - just building the muscle memory of the draw stroke.)

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.

Last edited by Chief351; December 29th, 2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old December 29th, 2016, 10:11 PM

You are right Chief, I was also thinking that, but he is not serious in anything he tells he wants to learn. He wants to learn long range shooting, but I don't think he will have the patience for that.

Thanks for the link.
Old December 30th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefighter View Post
You are right Chief, I was also thinking that, but he is not serious in anything he tells he wants to learn. He wants to learn long range shooting, but I don't think he will have the patience for that. Thanks for the link.
He might surprise you you with that! When my wife and I were dating, she decided that she wanted to go shooting with me. Unknown to me at the time, she had decided that I was The One so she wanted to get involved in stuff that I like to do. To be honest, I didn't think she'd do very well because I didn't think she had enough patience. Once she understood the basics and why stuff happens like it does, she proceeded to surprise me...then shock me...then scare me!!! She would lay on the mat for a long time waiting for the right helium filled balloon to peek around past the rest of them, then pop it. Whoa! I didn't think she'd have enough patience but she had that and more. She's now our team sniper!