Support this site with your Contribution. Click on the Membership link below.
Home | Discussion Forums | Mission Statement | Membership | Links | Contact Us | Rules |

Assaultweb.net Forums  

Go Back   Assaultweb.net Forums > Gun Talk > The Basics

Old May 10th, 2003, 13:07
YANKEEFAN

Question

Thanks to all you reloaders help I have decided on a reloading press to buy. But before I do I have another question. How much per round are you guys paying for reloading your own ammo? For instance one can buy a 1000 rounds of winchester .223 for 17 cents a round. Just curious as to how much a person is saving by reloading their own ammo.
Old May 10th, 2003, 13:32
CLHMildot

Icon49

Best savings come when you load a specific load, Match rifle loads or maybe certain bullet. If you find import ammo at good price & meets your requirments for use don't reload for that case, but reload for others! I got winchester bulk bullets one time in 3k+ boxs (9mm 124gr.) bought 2 boxs, still loading 10 yrs later. I shoot for free now since I have long forgotten what I paid for them!
Old May 10th, 2003, 16:25
Kletz

Yankeefan, I'll send you an e-mail with an Excel file to calculate the cost. I can load 50 rounds of 308 ballistic tip for the cost of 20 factory rounds. That is where the savings come in. For 9mm you can't really beat the fmj factory cost but you might if loading up your own HP or +p rounds.
Old May 11th, 2003, 22:47
Executive Member

Kletz: Could you please email me the file also? Thanks in advance. .

Bigger

gunguy@warbug.com
Old May 12th, 2003, 00:23
Vietnam Vet

A lot of the time, with the cheap ammo available, reloading may not be cost effective. But, ask yourself if the quality of the cheap stuff is up to snuff and is it really non-corrosive?
I buy a lot of surplus, but shooting my homegrown, gives me control of the product I put out and a sense of satisfaction, especially since I cast a lot of my own pistol bullets. If you factor in your time it will never be economical.
IT'S A HOBBY, REMEMBER??!!!!!!!
Old May 13th, 2003, 05:03

Talking

If you are a reloader at least you have a guaranteed supply.

In the future you may not have access to your home and heavy presses, due to market shortages, government decree/fiat/ban or war needs.

Everyone I feel should have at least a LEE Loader. Its only the size of a paperback and useable anywhere, even in the bush and they weigh very little.

Also easy to conceal- when and if....."it" happens.
There is no Spring without Winter, without Mistakes there is no Learning. There is no Life without Death, without Doubts there is no Faith. There is no Peace without War, without Fear there is no Courage. For without Mistakes, Doubts and Fears there are no pathways to Wisdom.
Ron Owen.
Old May 19th, 2003, 18:56
pistolero6869

Yankeefan Vietnam vet hit nail on the head! its a great hobby,very relaxing,its not hard at all. if you like to shoot you will shoot more when you out shooting because you can make some more when you gethome maybe try a different powder.you can learn a lot here and other sites plus many books .its some thing you should try .good luck GFM
Old May 19th, 2003, 19:12
Cuss n' Discuss Mod

Thumbs up

We really haven't figured cost for most of our reloading, since we do it for recreation as much as anything else.

But I can offer a couple of examples of what it is costing us.

9mm, using salvaged and scavenged brass, goes for about 7 cents a round. That's buying bullets in very large quantities, though. (2k at a time.)

7.62x51 AP is going at about 22 cents per. Again, that's using salvaged brass, but the bullets were .10 each, and we're loading with Varget, which isn't cheap powder either.

We're also milling down our spare 9mm brass and making 9x18 out of it. IIRC, that's running about 8 cents and a fraction per, with cast lead bullets.

But keep in mind that not only do you get ammo to your exact specifications at less than you'd probably pay for it when you reload.

You also can be independent of the whims of the market and the laws, for as long as your primers and powder hold out.

Get after it! All you have to lose is a little time, and if you use the periods you'd spend watching TV or some such anyway, you are way ahead!
Old May 19th, 2003, 23:46
Cranky Buggy Driver

I seem to recall that using Bullseye and Ranier Plated slugs, I was able to crank out 9mm for about $6 a hundred.

Lets see... Primers usually run about $18 a thousand, powder about $18 a pound(Bullseye), and slugs about$45/K (Rainier HP). That works out to:
$1.80 /100 primers
$4.50 /100 slugs (HP, not RN)
$1.29 /100 powder
----------
$7.59 /100 finished 9mm HP. Not bad for plain FMJ practice ammo, let alone HP.
With prices like that, you truly can Carry what you Practice.

OK... now, how did I ever get to the $6 I said above?? Some questions will never be figured out, I guess.

[ 19. May 2003, 22:46: Message edited by: Crash_Test_Dummy (Amish_Bill) ]
Airplane Pictures
Cranky Labs Image Repository
A Human Right
Oleg Volk Photography
- - - - -
I\'m Amish Bill, and I approved this message.
Old May 20th, 2003, 00:07
Vietnam Vet

Maybe I'm lucky, out here in the west, but I can pick up primers at a show for 15 or 16 bucks a thousand; and I prefer to buy powder in the 4 or 8lb containers which is cheaper than buying 1 lb'ers (I paid $92 for an 8lb'er of W231 which is what I use in 9mm, that's $11.50 a lb!) Rainier bullets are a good choice at $45/1000. Buy in quantity to get better prices.
Old December 29th, 2014, 00:50
Executive Member

Default Re: Reloading Price per Round

1K rounds of .223 current prices:
  • powder: $165 for an 8lb keg, divided by 2 for 500 rounds (~$80)
  • bullets: $78 for 1000 55gr
  • primers: $30/1K
  • brass: one time used, fully processed, $85
so 80+78+30+85=$273 with fully processed brass, $188 without
I have a Right to my Life; I have a Right to the Fruits of my Labor. If you concede the principle of the Income Tax, you concede the principle that the government owns ALL your income and permits you to keep a certain percentage of it.
─Ron Paul, interview by Time on Sep 17, 2009.

Last edited by 9th Company; December 29th, 2014 at 22:02.
Old December 29th, 2014, 22:06
Executive Member

1K rounds of .308 current prices:
  • powder: $165 for an 8lb keg, 7+ pounds needed (~$160)
  • bullets: $180 for 1000 145gr
  • primers: $30/1K
  • brass: one time used, cleaned, still need to deprime, then prime, $120
so 160+180+30+120=~$600 with partially processed brass, $480 if you use your own brass

lots of variables in the prices, but a rough estimate.
I have a Right to my Life; I have a Right to the Fruits of my Labor. If you concede the principle of the Income Tax, you concede the principle that the government owns ALL your income and permits you to keep a certain percentage of it.
─Ron Paul, interview by Time on Sep 17, 2009.
Old December 30th, 2014, 22:48
Executive Member

Loading FMJ plinking ammo doesn't add up for me, surplus military and others of this type are too close in price for me to have to deal with loading. However when I want premium rounds, I usually load my own, I can tailor my loads as to velocity, best accuracy for my rifle. what particular bullet I want to use.
Old January 1st, 2015, 11:13

Here is an easy way to figure cost per round...

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingcosts.asp